What's new

Box Pass

Coastal Bend

Get off my lawn.
Patron
We haven't had a box pass since we've been the Den. Sure, we carried over one started toward the end of PSF and finished it here, but none have originated here. I've gotten a few requests and finally this morning I reached out to the mods for a blessing and was told it would be okay to launch another one.

I thought about calling this the "Popular Demand Pass," but I'm open to themes. We can talk about it and refine it some before the launch. I'm thinking two weeks should be enough time for sign up and during that time we can toss around themes, too.

If you're interested PM me your name and address.

millarddj

Perpetual whippersnapper
Patron
I am most definitely interested. Will respond in PM.

Regarding theme, I will suggest a "Pop it and Share it" idea. I (and probably others) am sitting on a few tins of things that I haven't tried yet and would like to. Would be a good excuse to open up (or purchase) tins and sample, then throw some in to toss around for everyone else.

Coastal Bend

Get off my lawn.
Patron
What guidelines are involved with a box pass? I'm interested but I don't want to misstep on anyone's toes.
In a few words @tipofthelake summed up what happens. It's an opportunity to share and have some fun. The last one was called the "No Offense Pass." The premise was we all have blends that sounded good, but we didn't like. (For me Old Joe Krantz started me on the idea, it seems really popular around here, but I didn't care for it. Figured we all have some blends like that.)

Otherwise, it's pretty loose. I encourage participants to *take* as well as add. A Box Pass can start like the ol' snow ball rolling down a hill, which winds up the size of a small automobile. The only other guideline I can think of right now is to enjoy. There might be some other suggestions like not sitting on it too long (don't think any did last time around) and to let me know if you move or are going to be away for big blocks of time, like a work assignment or extended vacation.

Good response already. I'll try to have a theme to toss in the discussion later today. (It's still early here and I'm on my first cup of coffee. Heh)

Does that help @RedScot ?

Coastal Bend

Get off my lawn.
Patron
In 1776 George Washington wrote to the Continental Congress. In the letter was the sentence: "If you can't send money, send tobacco." Send tobacco? How about calling this "The George Box Pass"?

It could lead to comments like, "George has just left for the next destination..." or "George and I spend a wonderful weekend smoking and telling jokes..." or "George is putting on a little weight..."

You can pop-a-tin and include some, if you want. (I have visions of the box getting unwieldy if it is filled entirely with partial tins.) You can include something local that the rest of us may not know about or something you like and want to share. I'd say just take it as an opportunity.

SpiritOf76

Patron
In 1776 George Washington wrote to the Continental Congress. In the letter was the sentence: "If you can't send money, send tobacco." Send tobacco? How about calling this "The George Box Pass"?

It could lead to comments like, "George has just left for the next destination..." or "George and I spend a wonderful weekend smoking and telling jokes..." or "George is putting on a little weight..."

You can pop-a-tin and include some, if you want. (I have visions of the box getting unwieldy if it is filled entirely with partial tins.) You can include something local that the rest of us may not know about or something you like and want to share. I'd say just take it as an opportunity.
By George, that's it!