What's new

Box Pass

CMAsailor

Foam makes water wetter.
Patron
Fair question.
The generosity of this board will be on full display. There will be some nice additions to the box. Last time I expected a "no offense" pass to be a small box of aros that most people don't like. There was 20 year aged half and half, a bunch of McClelland, Esoterica, and GH stuff that were not passed on due to the smoker not liking them, but out of kindness.
There will probably be other goodies. I wont commit to anything specific, but you'll see. Last time someone made snuff out of Nocotania Rustica. No idea who died from trying that.
We may be generous but we are also conniving. If you see some pressed Carter Hall in a Penzance tin, I wouldn't be shocked. I would say pressed CB grape, but that would ghost up a favorite pipe pretty bad. George will also be pretty quick to arrive. Most people only keep the box for a day or two.
the Day or two thing might boot me out of this. last time I was part of a box pass logistics worked out that it arrived when I was on my three week home portion of my work rotation. if it's my turn during my three weeks at work, either the address would have to change or the whole group would wait.

Coastal Bend

Get off my lawn.
Patron
the Day or two thing might boot me out of this. last time I was part of a box pass logistics worked out that it arrived when I was on my three week home portion of my work rotation. if it's my turn during my three weeks at work, either the address would have to change or the whole group would wait.
Life happens. I seem to recall there being a few hitches last time, but it all worked out. The quick turnaround is not so much a rule as the way it turned out. Mostly. I plan to have everyone contact the next victim with a PM as they send George on his way. Unless you'll be in a No Internet Zone you would get word, plus you can coordinate with me if you think you're coming up on the list and are about to start on your three weeks.

(I should add that a reasonable turnaround is better. There are 30-something members signed up now. If everyone took a week or two to get George back on the road he could be out for a year or thereabouts.)

Last edited:

dmkerr

Fabulously non-descript
Staff member
Buddy, if you've got a pound of Molto Dolce that you don't want, send it up to river country, MN, and I'll smoke it up for you right quick. Gooper central here.
I would if I had any but it probably wouldn't get to you until that area opens up again. I moved from Minnesota in 1980 and I don't miss all that snow and cold! We get enough of that in central Indiana!

The Fiend

Fair question.
The generosity of this board will be on full display. There will be some nice additions to the box. Last time I expected a "no offense" pass to be a small box of aros that most people don't like. There was 20 year aged half and half, a bunch of McClelland, Esoterica, and GH stuff that were not passed on due to the smoker not liking them, but out of kindness.
There will probably be other goodies. I wont commit to anything specific, but you'll see. Last time someone made snuff out of Nocotania Rustica. No idea who died from trying that.
We may be generous but we are also conniving. If you see some pressed Carter Hall in a Penzance tin, I wouldn't be shocked. I would say pressed CB grape, but that would ghost up a favorite pipe pretty bad. George will also be pretty quick to arrive. Most people only keep the box for a day or two.
Very cool! I'm slowly trying different blends and brands, that I can get my hands on. I've never even tried any of the tobacco's you mentioned. So there might be a couple funny tins floating with George. This will be fun!

Coastal Bend

Get off my lawn.
Patron
Going to start sliding the door closed on sign-ups and start organizing the pass. The last time I did a box pass I joked my organization reminded me of one of those police programs. You know, where a warrant is served at the apartment of some unsub. The officers move from room to room shouting, "Clear."

And then, one uniform comes out to the detective leading the raid and says, "Sir, I think you ought to see this..."

The detective is led back to the bedroom and there is a gasp as they see a wall covered with photos, maps and news clippings all connected by colored yarn tied to push pins.

My organization isn't that bad -- or crazy -- at least not yet. :roflmao: Bear with me. George may not actually start his trip for a few days, but it's nearing the end of the beginning.

Chico

Going to start sliding the door closed on sign-ups and start organizing the pass. The last time I did a box pass I joked my organization reminded me of one of those police programs. You know, where a warrant is served at the apartment of some unsub. The officers move from room to room shouting, "Clear."

And then, one uniform comes out to the detective leading the raid and says, "Sir, I think you ought to see this..."

The detective is led back to the bedroom and there is a gasp as they see a wall covered with photos, maps and news clippings all connected by colored yarn tied to push pins.

My organization isn't that bad -- or crazy -- at least not yet. :roflmao: Bear with me. George may not actually start his trip for a few days, but it's nearing the end of the beginning.
I hope this doesn't mean that there will be random body parts in the box. :eek:

Coastal Bend

Get off my lawn.
Patron
After exchanging thoughts with @SteveNH the plan is to continue with a single box pass and everyone included. We have just about the same number of people as the last pass -- and the last pass had to deal with one forum closing and another one starting, as well as a few members changing their user names (Of course, that part only confused me) -- and it seemed to go smooth and at a decent pace.

If anyone has questions or concerns about the pass please send me a PM.

In other news...George is just about packed and ready to leave. I'm working on the route and will be sending a message to everyone as soon as it is worked out, which might take another day or so (I'm supposed to be working, too).

Peacock

Resident Hipster
Patron
After exchanging thoughts with @SteveNH the plan is to continue with a single box pass and everyone included. We have just about the same number of people as the last pass -- and the last pass had to deal with one forum closing and another one starting, as well as a few members changing their user names (Of course, that part only confused me) -- and it seemed to go smooth and at a decent pace.

If anyone has questions or concerns about the pass please send me a PM.

In other news...George is just about packed and ready to leave. I'm working on the route and will be sending a message to everyone as soon as it is worked out, which might take another day or so (I'm supposed to be working, too).
Thanks CB! And thanks SteveNH for the kind offer. Can't wait to get Washington mounted on his horse and the journey to begin - I've been waiting with anticipation