BST pic thread...

SmokeRings

GFO was a friendly little private forum (and other things), bout 10-12 years ago. Back then, there were only a handful of platforms on the web where pipes were a focus, and the other ones frankly sucked. It was a good place for ingrates, ne'erdowells, Communists, rednecks.... (that is, the bulk of society) except pipe smokers are supposed to be these superior wonderful people, right? And without relating to GFO at all, Woody built a similar "feel" into PSF. It attracted and kept "the right kind". At least 2 and I think 3 of the mods here are ex-GFO, so some of that everyman flavor imbues this forum. Which is really all just to say, pipes are part of life for a bunch of us.
Without a question you curmudgeonly gang o' ne'erdowells has been what has kept me hanging around like a bad case of acne, it's great how folk here are free to agree/disagree at their leisure but still communicate civilly when the time comes, the rest of you bastids on the other hand are not helping my PAD at all, and I can't wait until the day that Household 6 authorizes a BST

Sasquatch

Wizzard
Staff member
It's tough to have a forum (or any internet type of page) where you walk the line between things being stodgy and terse (and there are pipe forums like this) or chaotic and time-wasting. Keeping politics outta here has probably saved it. (And the mod group here runs the gamut - savagely left wing to staunchly right wing, so there's lots of good dialogue in private). But really, people want to share their experiences as pipe smokers, and that's what this place offers, it's just a coffee table to sit around, really.

DGErwin11

Supreme Curmudgeon
Staff member
It's tough to have a forum (or any internet type of page) where you walk the line between things being stodgy and terse (and there are pipe forums like this) or chaotic and time-wasting. Keeping politics outta here has probably saved it. (And the mod group here runs the gamut - savagely left wing to staunchly right wing, so there's lots of good dialogue in private). But really, people want to share their experiences as pipe smokers, and that's what this place offers, it's just a coffee table to sit around, really.
I like to say all the tomfoolery keeps us entertained while we wait for someone who needs a serious question answered.

xrundog

Old Pipe Dude
GFO was a friendly little private forum (and other things), bout 10-12 years ago. Back then, there were only a handful of platforms on the web where pipes were a focus, and the other ones frankly sucked. It was a good place for ingrates, ne'erdowells, Communists, rednecks.... (that is, the bulk of society) except pipe smokers are supposed to be these superior wonderful people, right? And without relating to GFO at all, Woody built a similar "feel" into PSF. It attracted and kept "the right kind". At least 2 and I think 3 of the mods here are ex-GFO, so some of that everyman flavor imbues this forum. Which is really all just to say, pipes are part of life for a bunch of us.
I loved GFO! I learned most of what I know about pipes there. Iron Mike was into old Kaywoodies, WDC and Manahattan pipes. I became infected from him. I was pretty sad when he shut 'er down.

It was a hideous place in the 1980s and 1990s. Part of my "family history" too.
I floated off Beirut in the harbor in the early eighties. In the daylight we could see enough of the city to know it had once been beautiful. It was pretty destroyed by then though. At night I used to go sit on the fantail and watch the rockets in town. Probably should have been freaked out by that but nineteen, you know? I remember the harbor itself was non-figuratively a garbage dump. Saw dead livestock floating. We had to go offshore to dump our garbage. We’d send divers over the side to clear the screws whenever we went offshore.