Burn Holes

Condor

Not sure this has been raised ... or if there is any solutions or comments. One of the negative things , experienced by my Late father .. is burn holes. I had a couple of his Filson shirts . With a few burn holes .. not bad ... not going though the entire fabric. I mention this on another thread on filling a pipe half way. So .... I smoke outside and despite my best efforts . On occasion , even with tapping the pipe the ember , somehow a few jump out and hand on my cloths . But now with todays parker material it gets bad. Just a little ember will drill a hole . You do not know until you see a down sprig popping out . So I get some Parker sealant .... which seems to hold after a wash . But now my outdoor smoking is leaning over so I can stop this. The patches have actually ruined a good Patagonia Parker ( I bought another) so that damaged Parker is my work and Smoking Parker .. the new Parker light weight shells are so thin that any little ember even doused before it lands has enough heat to bite a hole. Has anyone experience this D52F9C9F-1DE2-40DB-88EC-B842DBF984A8.jpeg

Last edited:

SteveNH

Patron
I was wondering when this would come up. I hold the pipe on the right side of my mouth. When the pipe is full, my nostrils blow the ashes out. Then at half way, the ashes seem to magically waft out. Bottom line is my right pant leg and right side of my shirts and coats have significant burn holes. Seems everything I own is highly flammable.

PugetPiper

The wind where I live - especially this time of year - makes it difficult to keep anything in the pipe bowl, so I always use an inexpensive wind cap. I also use it in the car or when I’m doing chores because it does a good job keeping everything in place, even when stuffed in a jacket pocket. You might try one and see if it helps.

Here’s what I use (from SP):
9F356355-CEB7-49CC-983B-D3255969048B.jpeg

Wolfman

A few years ago, I burned a decent amount of holes in some shirts and jackets. So here’s what I learned :

1. If you are going to smoke a cube cut blend, do not pack it lose.
2. If you have to smoke outside, avoid windy days.
3. Use a wind cap.
4. After tamping, make sure there’s no lose ash.
5. Don’t walk and smoke.

kxg

Patron
The wind where I live - especially this time of year - makes it difficult to keep anything in the pipe bowl, so I always use an inexpensive wind cap. I also use it in the car or when I’m doing chores because it does a good job keeping everything in place, even when stuffed in a jacket pocket. You might try one and see if it helps.

Here’s what I use (from SP):
View attachment 50555
I'm going to give this a try. Just ordered a 3 pack from EA Carey via Amazon for $9.95. I deal with a good bit of wind out here on the plains.
Now to figure out a spring loaded tamping attachment...next to the lighting port...