Burn Holes

Condor

I was thinking that most of my issues are loading cut plugs ... or not rubbed out flakes enough . Plus loading the pipe to the top . With razored plugs .. all that needs happen is a burning plug piece under a top ember and .expansion ... then .. pop ! Ribbon cut seems to be ok with any issues . But then again .. I simply do not load my pipe to the top for this reason ... and other reasons. I like my rims clean . On a serious note ... I use a 30\06 cartridge unfired as a tamper ...just to see if I can get away with it !! The Condor way... @Spillproof ... the anticipation ! 😉 when I use a 500 nitro express ...that when I really feel alive !

Last edited:

jpberg

Wicked Insightful
Staff member
Sales
Not sure this has been raised ... or if there is any solutions or comments. One of the negative things , experienced by my Late father .. is burn holes. I had a couple of his Filson shirts . With a few burn holes .. not bad ... not going though the entire fabric. I mention this on another thread on filling a pipe half way. So .... I smoke outside and despite my best efforts . On occasion , even with tapping the pipe the ember , somehow a few jump out and hand on my cloths . But now with todays parker material it gets bad. Just a little ember will drill a hole . You do not know until you see a down sprig popping out . So I get some Parker sealant .... which seems to hold after a wash . But now my outdoor smoking is leaning over so I can stop this. The patches have actually ruined a good Patagonia Parker ( I bought another) so that damaged Parker is my work and Smoking Parker .. the new Parker light weight shells are so thin that any little ember even doused before it lands has enough heat to bite a hole. Has anyone experience this View attachment 50553
That’s what you get for ignoring the natural fiber gods.

I have these hickory stripped shirts, made by prisoners... The company is Prison Blues (no affiliation).. I've dropped cigar and pipe ashes on them and the embers just go out. These shirts are so rugged, I bought three almost 3 years ago. One did develop rips in the washer machine some how. But the other two, I've worn each shirt t least twice a week every week, doing concrete, demo, masonry, framing, blacksmithing, yard work, and they still are in perfect shape, except for a tiny stain.

Ozark Wizard

Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
I have these hickory stripped shirts, made by prisoners... The company is Prison Blues (no affiliation).. I've dropped cigar and pipe ashes on them and the embers just go out. These shirts are so rugged, I bought three almost 3 years ago. One did develop rips in the washer machine some how. But the other two, I've worn each shirt t least twice a week every week, doing concrete, demo, masonry, framing, blacksmithing, yard work, and they still are in perfect shape, except for a tiny stain.
Denim?

Haint

Patron
I’m thinking the prisoners need them rugged to withstand the random shiv attack.

CoreyR

Insane Asylum, head nut speaking!
All natural fabrics are much more resistant to burns. I learned that in blacksmithing. That said I LOVE the "Armichello" button down shirts from Duluth Trading and they burn FAST. I have several $65 shirts with big holes!
I have found, however, that Jean jackets and Carhart coats make excellent armor for them!