Burn Holes

Condor

I wear certain shirts while smoking in my house. They all have burn holes and I don't care. Pipe smoking is a dangerous sport, not for the faint of heart. A few burn holes is no big deal, the cost of doing business.
Well , there are things you can do about it . It is a dangerous sport ! But I just do not like burn holes in expensive synthetic $300 Parker’s . Looking like I got peppered by long distance 12 gage shotguns . But it does give The Condor some fodder for another story ! “ I ran across the field dodging a guy shooting at me . I dove, only to see several small holes. Then at the bar that night I told the guys . “ I am ok “ . They asked if I was scared . “ yes I was “ , but I felt really alive “ . After many pats on the back ! I said actually it was burn holes from smoking a pipe ! . They all roared and said “ you are such a BS artist “ . Well .... I guess they knew the true Condor!

Last edited:

RedScot

The holes add character, that’s what I tell myself anyway. Ask any worker in a power plant or electrician what fabric they have to wear, no questions asked synthetics aren’t allowed and cotton is the fabric of choice.
Yup. Unless you're working on 600V or more - then you gotta have leather...probably not dissimilar to blacksmithing.
I may have a shirt or two without burnholes, and, bum that I am, I don't worry about it much. Now that I think about it I've got a few longsleeve Carhartt shirts that have stood up well to every spark, from virginia to steel. But my normal attire is shot through with black-edged holes.
This is actually a subject that's been circulating through my brain for awhile now.

SmokeRings

Patron
Well , there are things you can do about it . It is a dangerous sport ! But I just do not like burn holes in expensive synthetic $300 Parker’s . Looking like I got peppered by long distance 12 gage shotguns . But it does give The Condor some fodder for another story ! “ I ran across the field dodging a guy shooting at me . I dove, only to see several small holes. Then at the bar that night I told the guys . “ I am ok “ . They asked if I was scared . “ yes I was “ , but I felt really alive “ . After many pats on the back ! I said actually it was burn holes from smoking a pipe ! . They all roared and said “ you are such a BS artist “ . Well .... I guess they knew the true Condor!
Reminds me of the story about Audy Murphy when he was taken to court by a woman on the accusation that he had discharged a firearm at her...

The judge asked Mr. Murphy to give his account, to which he answered "Your honor, I will go ahead and assume you know who I am, and why I am famous?"

The judge looked at him with a chuckle and said "Mr. Murphy I don't think there is anyone in America right now who doesn't know who you are and why you are famous."

Mr. Murphy stated very simply "If I shot at her, would she be here to accuse me of anything?"

"Case dismissed!" Said the judge.

CoreyR

Insane Asylum, head nut speaking!
Yup. Unless you're working on 600V or more - then you gotta have leather...probably not dissimilar to blacksmithing.
I may have a shirt or two without burnholes, and, bum that I am, I don't worry about it much. Now that I think about it I've got a few longsleeve Carhartt shirts that have stood up well to every spark, from virginia to steel. But my normal attire is shot through with black-edged holes.
This is actually a subject that's been circulating through my brain for awhile now.
Actually, for Blacksmithing I tend to wear natural fiber shirts like wool or pure cotton. They resist burns pretty good. I wear a leather apron over them....sometimes....like the steel toed boots I wear....sometimes. Depends on how heavy the work I will be doing.

Condor

@Condor you are looking at this problem all wrong. By replacing a $300 Parker every time you burn a hole in it, you are single-handedly keeping the US economy on an upward trajectory. Continue to do your patriotic duty, we are all counting on you!
Actually I patch the holes up with camping tape or tape made for Parker’s and rips. But see your point 😂

Swede

In the army our uniforms were supposed to be fire resistant but when we did the exercises with napalm and putting out fires on each other we always used the old 1939-issue uniform made of wool. I don't know the English name for the material but google tells me it is frieze - homespun - wadmal.
I am thinking of getting a couple in a large sizes from the surplus store and sewing a smoking jacket out of them. What do you think?
jackaM3958.jpg

Merk3030

Patron
In the army our uniforms were supposed to be fire resistant but when we did the exercises with napalm and putting out fires on each other we always used the old 1939-issue uniform made of wool. I don't know the English name for the material but google tells me it is frieze - homespun - wadmal.
I am thinking of getting a couple in a large sizes from the surplus store and sewing a smoking jacket out of them. What do you think?
View attachment 51624
Would be nice and warm. That’s for sure.

Condor

It is rather chilly evenings most of the year here and it might save some parkers.
With low cut V-collar, turned up sleeves and a nice burgundy liner it may look a bit more rustic gentleman and less Hugh Hefner... View attachment 51681
That is Beautiful . I can see sitting in my garage with that on ! Actually smoking jackets were very common once . Had one once my Grandfather owned . Not sure about smoking hats , but I suspect to keep your hair from reeking . Lock Hatters in London still makes several type smoking hats . But the smoking jacket must have had one of it’s intentions to just deal with burn holes . My Fly fishing clubs have hats, sweatshirts , etc. maybe a Forum smoking jacket ( sweatshirt , etc. whatever ) in the future ! 🤓😉 the member with the most burn holes at the end of the year gets a Pipe of the year as a prize. ( A written narrative describing each hole , the date and tobacco and pipe ) ..... ah , never mind that ! Honor system naturally !

Last edited: