What's new

Butane fuel

BootCampBob

I buy Purofine High Performance from Amazon. It’s not cheap, but a large can lasts for many months.
It’s a high octane fuel that was developed for use at high altitude. One big benefit is it brings old, tired (weak flame) lighters back to useful life.
IF you use this, check the flame BEFORE lighting it near your face. The flame WILL be much stronger in all lighters.
Eyebrows, beards and mustaches will grow back in time. Appendages and facial features, not so much. 😳

dmkerr

Fabulously non-descript
Staff member
I tried to order some Colibri butane from Amazon recently and they wouldn't ship to my state. :\ I prefer that one as it fills my Old Boy quite easily as opposed to another 5X refined I bought from a B&M. It came with a bunch of nozzle types and none worked.
Colibri is what I've always used - same reason. Well, that and it's available everywhere. Sadly, it's one of the few uses I have for my local B&M, mostly because they've eschewed pipes for cigars, for the most part.

MURPH

I was always told to use triple refined or more. Used Xikar for awhile then found Vector One that was 10 times refined. Haven't had any issues and it was less $ for more. DON'T use that Ronson stuff it will clog up your butane lights. At least it did for me.

IMpipedude

I only use Xikar Premium and Colibri, for the simple reason that they are the only brands that (as far as I've been able to determine) actually describe their product's purity in terms of parts per million. Xikar states their butane has only 15 parts per million of impurities, and Colibri states their product is 99.9994% pure (which is 6 parts per million of impurities). Other brands (which are probably good) state how many times their butane is refined or filtered, but don't describe the actual purity. Maybe I'm being too obsessive, by I prefer knowing the actual purity value.

Coastal Bend

Get off my lawn.
Patron
I only use Xikar Premium and Colibri, for the simple reason that they are the only brands that (as far as I've been able to determine) actually describe their product's purity in terms of parts per million. Xikar states their butane has only 15 parts per million of impurities, and Colibri states their product is 99.9994% pure (which is 6 parts per million of impurities). Other brands (which are probably good) state how many times their butane is refined or filtered, but don't describe the actual purity. Maybe I'm being too obsessive, by I prefer knowing the actual purity value.
Good point. Sometimes I have found myself viewing butane with notes of "extra refined" or "filtered X times" kind of like toothpaste that says "new and improved." Might be cynical, but I have found myself questioning the meaning. Going with the purity in terms of "parts per million" makes sense.

Terminus

Drink Water, Walk It Off
Patron
Good point. Sometimes I have found myself viewing butane with notes of "extra refined" or "filtered X times" kind of like toothpaste that says "new and improved." Might be cynical, but I have found myself questioning the meaning. Going with the purity in terms of "parts per million" makes sense.
Is that like Port Charlotte 'Heavily peated' scotch comes in at 27ppm and other brands regular levels are 30+?