Butane Lighter Purging

WrightwoodJohn

Patron
It fits over the tube with the tool being hollow with two small bleed holes in the tube to allow gas to escape. t's made of brass with a aluminum handle.
It works well for my purposes, and I realize others here feel differently about the actual need for such a tool. To some--it's useless, and not needed. For me I like it.
In my link the seller has sold out of them. I guess I'm not the only idiot to buy one.
I like tools, so there's that!

I use the pick end of my tamper to bleed my lighters. It works perfectly and has for over 20 years. No reason to change now. I have IM Corona 2 Old Boys and 9 IM Corona Pipemasters. It is my belief that the Pipemasters are going to be discontinued and I didn't want to run out. I own a collection of Dunhill's for cigars and now I have my pipe lighter collection. I know, what kind of retard owns 9 Pipemasters? What can I say, I like collecting stuff especially when I believe it is going the way of the dodo.

I was right when they discontinued Rotary Navy Cut, but I was prepared with over 100 tins. I learned my lesson from losing out on The Perique loaded Three Nuns. Only one of those left in my collection.

My goal here was to simply share a little something I use.
I by no means wanted this thread to turn into a whether, or not to kind of thing.
I like purging my lighters--Am I right, am I wrong was never a question I asked, nor presented. I simply was sharing a little tool I use that prevents damaging the valve on the lighter vs using something that may damage the valve if one so chooses to do this with their lighter.
We all have opinions on the way we do things---that's fine. I will say I regret starting this thread as it has created a "do it", or "don't do it" kind of thing.
I by no means want to create confusion.
Ordered pretty much as soon as I saw the original post. I have always bled Butane lighters before refilling.
I also put my lighter in the freezer for at least 15 minutes before filling. In fact, my can of butane stays in the kitchen.
Thanks for the link.

I use the pick end of my tamper to bleed my lighters. It works perfectly and has for over 20 years. No reason to change now. I have IM Corona 2 Old Boys and 9 IM Corona Pipemasters. It is my belief that the Pipemasters are going to be discontinued and I didn't want to run out. I own a collection of Dunhill's for cigars and now I have my pipe lighter collection. I know, what kind of retard owns 9 Pipemasters? What can I say, I like collecting stuff especially when I believe it is going the way of the dodo.

I was right when they discontinued Rotary Navy Cut, but I was prepared with over 100 tins. I learned my lesson from losing out on The Perique loaded Three Nuns. Only one of those left in my collection.
9 Pipemasters? You are my hero. 😀😀😀😀

MichaelE

I've found that some lighters I must purge because they fill up with air and won't allow butane to refill the lighter. Other lighters are fine without purging.

Sometimes you can see with a lighter that it starts to light and then the flame blows out. This is a sign that you should purge your lighter because you have good gas pressure, but there's too much air in the tank.

I use one of the adapter tips from my butane can to purge my lighters before refilling them.

Same here.

To fill it, I run the gas canister under hot (not scalding) water for a minute or two while the lighter is sitting in the freezer for a minute or two.

The gas wants to get out of the can at the higher temp, and the lighter wants to suck it up at the colder temperature. Works for an absolutely full tank every time.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
The reason you need to purge a lighter from time to time is simple: all liquid gas contains small quantities of non burnable gases. If you refill over and over, those will build up in the tank over time...
so purging a lighter every 3-4 months isn’t a bad idea... no need to do that every time you refill though.

The reason you need to purge a lighter from time to time is simple: all liquid gas contains small quantities of non burnable gases. If you refill over and over, those will build up in the tank over time...
so purging a lighter every 3-4 months isn’t a bad idea... no need to do that every time you refill though.
“No need“ does not equal why not do things the way you were taught 40 years ago. 😀 This year, I sent off my Old Boy for service, seals gave out. It hadn’t had an issue since I bought it in 1998.