C&D blend recommendations

Billy Ockham

Notice when you are happy.
This is honestly probably my least favorite blender, but I have tried alot of their stuff.

My favorites from C&D are Bayou Morning (VAPer), Opening Night (VA), and Sunday Picnic (VA). Pegasus is a burley blend that gets a lot of love, but I never really took to it.

(They also blend what I consider the second-worst tobacco blend of all-time, Purple Cow.)

blackmouth210

Patron
Star of the East is a great blend if you enjoy latakia blends.

I've never had a C&D aromatic I liked.
But...
Captain Bob's Blend is pretty good and it's kind of an aro.

Be warned! You have never had ANYTHING like Capt Bob.
There is nothing like it. It smells like grape bubble gum in the pouch. Tastes like latakia and grains in your smoke. And has a room note similar to a combo of melted crayons and baked sugar cookies.

Yeah. It's weird. But, if you like it, you'll love it. Just remember: it smells like an aro but smokes much more like an English. Don't expect the pouch note in your smoke.

Peacock

Put a Bird On It
Patron
Star of the East is a great blend if you enjoy latakia blends.

I've never had a C&D aromatic I liked.
But...
Captain Bob's Blend is pretty good and it's kind of an aro.

Be warned! You have never had ANYTHING like Capt Bob.
There is nothing like it. It smells like grape bubble gum in the pouch. Tastes like latakia and grains in your smoke. And has a room note similar to a combo of melted crayons and baked sugar cookies.

Yeah. It's weird. But, if you like it, you'll love it. Just remember: it smells like an aro but smokes much more like an English. Don't expect the pouch note in your smoke.
THANK YOU! I ordered a C&D sampler back in 2009 when I started smoking a pipe and could never remember what that blend was called. For some reason that was the blend that stuck with me the most all these years.

JustScott

Well, I actually like most of the C&D blends I've tried. Even Purple Cow. So, maybe I have no taste, but I enjoy what I'm smoking. For burley blends (mostly VaBur plus something), I've enjoyed the ones Bob Runowski blended. Here are the ones I've tried, and a couple others.
Morley's Best (burleys, broken flakes of bright VA, and a little lat, sort of a "tribute blend" for the old d/c'ed Blue Boar, and my "desert island" blend, could happily smoke nothing else but glad I don't have to.)
Pegasus (burleys, some bright and some red VA I think, and unsweetened black Cavendish. "Tribute blend" for Bond Street. Give it a few bowls, the first 3 or 4 didn't impress me but now I love it, and others have had the same thing happen here. It's a "slow starter" but by the time you smoke a couple ounces you'll order a pound. Or else you'll hate it, lol...)
Haunted Bookshop (you're already adding it, but just bringing out that it's one of Runowski's, and if you like HB, you may very well like all of them.)
Old Joe Krantz (sounds similar to HB, but it really isn't. The red VA and the extra perique really quite change it. Very nice, and also VERY STRONG nic-wise. One of the strongest I've had. Still really good, though.)
Epiphany (Tarler/Runowski collaboration, they did some pretty good ones together. "Tribute blend" for the old Phillip Morris Revelation. Quite a nice blend, in an old-school "American English" vein.)
Purple Cow (a very Runowski-ish "VaBur plus" blend, a blend of burleys with some bright VA, and has Maduro cigar leaf. Lots of people don't much like it, but I enjoy it. I think I would have known B.R. blended it even if I hadn't known that going in. It tastes like something he'd blend, a nice VaBur-with-a-kick base, with cigar leaf as the extra punch. I really do like it, but it seems to be a love-or-hate blend.)
I haven't tried Bayou Morning yet, but I intend to. It's a Bob Runowski VaPer, and it's pretty well reviewed, even people who don't seem to like much from C&D seem to like it.
Of the non-Bob Runowski ones mentioned above, I have enjoyed Oriental Silk (sort of a VaOrPer, and quite nice when I'm in the mood for it), Black Frigate (might be more lat than I'd like now, but I really enjoyed it when I had it), and Dreams of Kadath (this one I really like, a plug that you need to smoke several bowls before making up your mind. It's heavy on the Katerini and fairly heavy on the dark fired, and it doesn't taste like any other blend I've ever had. It took several bowls before my brain could even figure out what I was tasting. I liked it, but there was so much going on. After maybe 3-4 bowls, I figured out that what I was tasting was mostly Katerini mixing with Dark Fired, with some VA backbone and a little Perique peeking out from behind the Katerini/DFK curtain. It's really very good. Also, plugs are fun, lol...)
Let's see, what else have I had...
Blockade Runner (Red VA and rum crumble cake, really nice, this one gave me my first "perfect bowl", haven't had it in forever but it's on my list)
Crowley's Best (burleys, red VA, bright VA I think, perique, and lat. I quite like it, when I'm in the mood more for "dirty English" as opposed to "VaBur plus")
Junkyard Dawg (burleys, bright VA, and lat. Was okay, in the same vein as Morley's Best, which I enjoy more. "Tribute blend" for the old Barking Dog, guess I'm more a Blue Boar man...)
Good Morning (another Tarler/Runowski, and was made as a "tribute blend" for Early Morning Pipe when the DH blends went off the market in like 2005. I smoked about 3 tins of this back when I smoked light Englishes, and actually liked this one better than I liked EMP. Probably still would. The only thing that got me to smoke EMP instead of Good Morning was that EMP was available bulk. If Good Morning was available bulk I'd probably have a jar of it right now.)
That's pretty much all I've tried, and you can see I've liked almost all. I have at least a little bit on hand of everything I mentioned except Black Frigate, Blockade Runner, Junkyard Dawg, and Good Morning. If they were available bulk, I'd have some Blockade Runner and Good Morning on hand. They are only available in tins, and though both are on my "list", they haven't been high enough on there to make the "budget cut-off". Sorry the post is so long, but wanted to do more than just a list of names.

StompyMcFat

Like @Billy Ockham , tried a lot, and they're not my favorite blender. But,

Bayou Morning Flake
Bijou
Dreams of Kadath
A couple of their Simply Elegant series, the names ellude me
Sansapolcro
These seem to stand out in my memory. The rest I don't seem to 'get'. YMMV.
In our last trade you sent me some Opening Night, which I believe is in the Simply Elegant series.
I'll add Orient Express to the list. Oriental forward English. Oh ,and Comfort from the cellar series. Working thru a tin now, suprising how sweet it is for a VaPerBur. I think it's got some Cavendish in it.

blackmouth210

Patron
THANK YOU! I ordered a C&D sampler back in 2009 when I started smoking a pipe and could never remember what that blend was called. For some reason that was the blend that stuck with me the most all these years.
You're welcome.
The name is easy to forget. The blend is NOT, right?....it's quite unique.

To the OP...I forgot about Epiphany.
That's another good C&D blend.