C&D. You would think I would learn...

Oouder

Warning to our newer members and any folks looking to cellar tobaccos - another PSA about C&D - open them right away and ensure you don’t have moldy tobacco. At that point maybe dry it some before you jar or bag. I just cracked two fairly recent (4/18) 8oz tins of GLP Union Square both full of mold. I have always only jarred my bulk blends (nothing tinned) and C&D brand loyalty has probably cost me close to a thousand bucks of unsmokeable tobacco over the last 15-20 years. I have not been burned by any other manufacture like this. Most of the issues I have had have been with 8oz tins. I’ve probably had 10-15 2oz tins fail with either mold or pinholes but the 8oz tins are the worst. These were my two most recently purchased and I was sure they were fine as I had heard the mold issue was resolved. Guess not!

9C740168-24AB-4D45-B367-D6AED777D762.jpeg

On another note i’m switching to from jars to 7mil mylar. A couple folks on here have made the switch and i’m going for it after speaking with them. I’m tired of the space and weight those jars take up. These bags are tanks.
3E126D20-9B61-4D1B-ADC5-2EB0F7B29861.jpeg

Open that C&D right away folks, especially the 8oz tins.

I’ve emailed smoking pipes. I am a pretty good customer of theirs and I do believe they own C&D so I’m hoping for a replacement. Fingers crossed on that!

Oouder

Also another good reason to get your tobacco from a reputable vendor guys. Smoking Pipes has already gotten back to me with an offer of replacement tobacco or house credit. Makes me happy I purchased this tobacco from them! I know most of you know this but for the new guys wondering how they turned into a giant..

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
It’s nice that SPC made it right so quickly but the C&D mold situation is baffling to me. Has anyone even heard of cracking a tin of any other brand and finding a big pile of mold? Ever? I haven’t. It can’t be moisture content, C&D has always tinned tobacco on the dry side. Others, such as SG, tin their tobaccos at a far higher moisture content with zero stories of mold that I’ve ever heard and zero that I’ve experienced in my 20+ years of buying and smoking their blends.

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
It’s nice that SPC made it right so quickly but the C&D mold situation is baffling to me. Has anyone even heard of cracking a tin of any other brand and finding a big pile of mold? Ever? I haven’t. It can’t be moisture content, C&D has always tinned tobacco on the dry side. Others, such as SG, tin their tobaccos at a far higher moisture content with zero stories of mold that I’ve ever heard and zero that I’ve experienced in my 20+ years of buying and smoking their blends.
Actually I have heard of 250 gram boxes of SG products being moldy. I've seen the pictures. Darn it, though, I hoped C&D solved that issue. Better open my recent tin of Bijou and jar it..... Poop....

blackmouth210

Crud! The procrastinator in me hates seeing these threads.
I have so much C&D still sitting in tins.
Some has been transferred to jars. But the majority has not.

Every time I see these threads I resolve to get all my C&D transferred....but I never get it done.
It's going to be a monumental task.
Assuming no mold issues for the majority of my C&D tins, I'm going to need quite a few jars.

Glad your issue was handled by the seller @Oouder
Hope your next C&D tins are ok.

Kiowapipe

Needs to think of a clever custom title
Patron
I’ve got a few tins of Carolina Red Flake that it sounds like I should jar up, but one question- if I have a tin of tobacco that has the potential to grow mold, how does transferring it to a jar prevent future mold growth?
I think the idea is that you'll know now instead of later, so hopefully you can get it replaced by C&D or the vendor. I think you're right that it's either bad or it isn't.