What's new

C&D. You would think I would learn...

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight
Patron
That info is essentially what I've heard from another source.

That said, I've only had one bad GLP tin in my lifetime. Then again, I haven't purchased any C&D products for a few years. The harsh taste is in almost everything I've sampled from them since Craig Tarler died. My only mold problem was ODF - two separate bulk shipments, all moldy.
I am not a huge fan of C&D blends for one reason and dmkerr nailed it. After Craig was gone most anything I tried from them seemed harsh. I blamed on the curing process. I haven’t purchased anything recently because of past experiences.

dmkerr

Fabulously non-descript
Staff member
I am not a huge fan of C&D blends for one reason and dmkerr nailed it. After Craig was gone most anything I tried from them seemed harsh. I blamed on the curing process. I haven’t purchased anything recently because of past experiences.
Agreed. I still keep some pre-Laudisi Big-N-Burley and Oriental Silk around, which I smoke on occasion and on other occasions I give a bowl to a friend to show them the differences between then and now. I honestly think that Craig produced one of the finest blends ever in Oriental Silk. Shame what happened to it.

Adam Bybee

Sales
I have quiet a few tins of C&D tins in the cellar. I' looked it up on my account at The Pipe Tool and show 36 pounds. Most of it has a good amount of age. What good it cellaring if going to full of mold. I'm tempted to contact Smoking Pipes for the in house credit. Most likely I would ever smoke them anyways. Just don't care for their blends.
You have 36 lbs of tobacco from a blender that you don't like?

CoreyR

Insane Asylum, head nut speaking!
Crap. I have many C&D tins stashed away in the cellar. I have no idea where I purchased each individual tin. If this is going to be a recurring problem with C&D, no matter how much I may like them, I'm afraid C&D is going to have to go on my "off limits list." I do not have the funds to waste buying tins which may or may not go bad in storage.

Shasta Piper

I’ve got a few tins of Carolina Red Flake that it sounds like I should jar up, but one question- if I have a tin of tobacco that has the potential to grow mold, how does transferring it to a jar prevent future mold growth?
A month ago I opened a fresh tin of Temple Bar, there was no mold. I cut two flakes off and transferred the rest immediately to a jar. A week later I pulled out the jar for another bowl and it (the tobacco) was covered in mold. I don’t think moving contaminated tobacco from a tin to a jar does much good. Maybe if you really dry it down it won’t bloom, but it’s gross to think your tobacco might be covered in mold spores.
I’m only buying C&D from SP from now on and I’m not cellaring it.

tfdickson

Patron
A month ago I opened a fresh tin of Temple Bar, there was no mold. I cut two flakes off and transferred the rest immediately to a jar. A week later I pulled out the jar for another bowl and it (the tobacco) was covered in mold. I don’t think moving contaminated tobacco from a tin to a jar does much good. Maybe if you really dry it down it won’t bloom, but it’s gross to think your tobacco might be covered in mold spores.
Yikes! I guess one way to think about it is that if I leave my C&D tins intact it prevents the spread of mold by keeping it contained.

Oouder

Your post has reminded me of a drawer full of glp 2oz tins I forgot about. I think I got most from SP but ages range in there so who knows what they will say if I hit them with a tin from 08’. I’ll be cracking them open when I get home and report in on any mold findings.

Hawky454

Warning to our newer members and any folks looking to cellar tobaccos - another PSA about C&D - open them right away and ensure you don’t have moldy tobacco. At that point maybe dry it some before you jar or bag. I just cracked two fairly recent (4/18) 8oz tins of GLP Union Square both full of mold. I have always only jarred my bulk blends (nothing tinned) and C&D brand loyalty has probably cost me close to a thousand bucks of unsmokeable tobacco over the last 15-20 years. I have not been burned by any other manufacture like this. Most of the issues I have had have been with 8oz tins. I’ve probably had 10-15 2oz tins fail with either mold or pinholes but the 8oz tins are the worst. These were my two most recently purchased and I was sure they were fine as I had heard the mold issue was resolved. Guess not!

View attachment 36702

On another note i’m switching to from jars to 7mil mylar. A couple folks on here have made the switch and i’m going for it after speaking with them. I’m tired of the space and weight those jars take up. These bags are tanks.
View attachment 36705

Open that C&D right away folks, especially the 8oz tins.

I’ve emailed smoking pipes. I am a pretty good customer of theirs and I do believe they own C&D so I’m hoping for a replacement. Fingers crossed on that!
Ouch man, that does sting. Thanks for reminding me, I guess I’ll open this new tin of Samarra I just purchased. What’s funny about C&D is they are the only company that actually makes blends with the intention of aging them. A lot of the cellar series calls for 10 to 15 years of aging before you open the tins but all this mold business is really discouraging. Thankfully I don’t have too much stock in C&D blends but I’m afraid that the ones I do have a lot of age on are just going to end up in the garbage. I know that they have great CS and they will replace your moldy tins basically with no questions asked (never even asked for a picture) but that doesn’t make up for the time lost cellaring these blends just to open them to find moldy tobacco. Frustrating for sure.

And yes, those Mylar bags are great, I mainly use them for my pouched tobacco, I get mine on Amazon for a decent price.

By the way, those Warrior Plugs are the first thing that caught my eye. Mmmmm Warrior Plug. (I see Velvan & Erinmore Plug in there too! Good taste!)

Hawky454

It’s nice that SPC made it right so quickly but the C&D mold situation is baffling to me. Has anyone even heard of cracking a tin of any other brand and finding a big pile of mold? Ever? I haven’t. It can’t be moisture content, C&D has always tinned tobacco on the dry side. Others, such as SG, tin their tobaccos at a far higher moisture content with zero stories of mold that I’ve ever heard and zero that I’ve experienced in my 20+ years of buying and smoking their blends.
I was very surprised but I recently had a 5 pack of Amphora Virginia contaminated with mold (all 5 pouches). Never (never) heard of mold being found on a Mac Baren tobacco but I imagine it happens to every house from time to time since we are dealing with an organic product. The problem with C&D is they are becoming infamous for their mold problem. l don’t know what it’s going to take for them to get this problem under control but they obviously have not figured it out as of yet. I’m rooting for them but honestly, I do stay away from them more than I probably would because of this issue.

sfduke

Sales
I was very surprised but I recently had a 5 pack of Amphora Virginia contaminated with mold (all 5 pouches). Never (never) heard of mold being found on a Mac Baren tobacco but I imagine it happens to every house from time to time since we are dealing with an organic product. The problem with C&D is they are becoming infamous for their mold problem. l don’t know what it’s going to take for them to get this problem under control but they obviously have not figured it out as of yet. I’m rooting for them but honestly, I do stay away from them more than I probably would because of this issue.
Same here. No C&D because of this.

blackmouth210

Well said @Hawky454

Same here. No C&D because of this.

I'm with you @sfduke. No more C&D or anything associated to it for the foreseeable future.
And I'll likely dig into my cellared C&D blends sooner rather than later.