C&D. You would think I would learn...

Kirby

I stopped in at my local B&M today. They are primarily a cigar shop like most, but they do have a decent selection of pipes and mostly C&D tobaccos. I asked if they had any tins returned because of mold...not one they said. Doesn't seem odd how arbitrary this problem seems to be. Has there been any links to specific date codes?

EreIAm

Doing some light research, the common component in nearly all of the moldy C&D blends mentioned in this thread is Red Virginias. But they put Red VA in many blends that haven't had mold reports (that I've seen), so maybe that's a coincidence. Has anyone seen reports of mold in C&D blends that do not contain Red VAs?

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
Doing some light research, the common component in nearly all of the moldy C&D blends mentioned in this thread is Red Virginias. But they put Red VA in many blends that haven't had mold reports (that I've seen), so maybe that's a coincidence. Has anyone seen reports of mold in C&D blends that do not contain Red VAs?
Good question!

sfduke

Sales
Do you think they are knowingly putting out mold potential blends??
Yes they do. When they were a smaller company focused on personalized customer service, they did full recalls. Now being the corporation they are now, they figure why do full recalls when a good portion of piper would just toss the tins not knowing about the mold issue. Only a small portion of pipers are like us and frequent forums.

sablebrush52

Patron
Do you think they are knowingly putting out mold potential blends??
I wouldn't put it in quite those terms. Mold is always a possibility, so to guarantee that none of their product will ever mold is an impossibility, is, well, an impossibility. C&D has a mission to keep the "adulterants" such as anti-molding agents, to a minimum. They just don't know how to do this or their mold issues wouldn't be reported in so many blends on this and other forums. And C&D isn't alone in providing products that get moldy, it's just that they seem to be more prone to it.

And their factory is located in a warm humid location, which is mold heaven.

SamInAR

Between the mold issues I’ve had with their tobaccos and how underwhelming most of their blends have been [to me], I’m pretty done with them. This is frustrating because they put out so many blends that I wish were better. Lately when I’m looking for something new to try I’m skipping over anything that comes out of their facility.

headrott

Warning to our newer members and any folks looking to cellar tobaccos - another PSA about C&D - open them right away and ensure you don’t have moldy tobacco. At that point maybe dry it some before you jar or bag. I just cracked two fairly recent (4/18) 8oz tins of GLP Union Square both full of mold. I have always only jarred my bulk blends (nothing tinned) and C&D brand loyalty has probably cost me close to a thousand bucks of unsmokeable tobacco over the last 15-20 years. I have not been burned by any other manufacture like this. Most of the issues I have had have been with 8oz tins. I’ve probably had 10-15 2oz tins fail with either mold or pinholes but the 8oz tins are the worst. These were my two most recently purchased and I was sure they were fine as I had heard the mold issue was resolved. Guess not!

View attachment 36702

On another note i’m switching to from jars to 7mil mylar. A couple folks on here have made the switch and i’m going for it after speaking with them. I’m tired of the space and weight those jars take up. These bags are tanks.
View attachment 36705

Open that C&D right away folks, especially the 8oz tins.

I’ve emailed smoking pipes. I am a pretty good customer of theirs and I do believe they own C&D so I’m hoping for a replacement. Fingers crossed on that!
I have 3 8 ounce tins of Union Square in my cellar. Now I am seriously freaked out they are going to be moldy! I don't remember when they were tinned, but I think it was around 2016. I will have to open them and find out if I am out some seriously good aged tobacco, and some serious money!

I am sorry for the loss of your tobacco @Oouder.

The humidity plus there’s a video on youtube showing them sorting leaf on the floor of the factory right in the middle of everything . They blender then went on to say “...we’ll then wet this down and let it sit here overnight ..” so they are blending on the floor where machinery and people walk and leave residue. Then let it sit for 8 hours in the moist air on the floor. It’s right in the video. So some guy steps in oil In the parking lot, or dog crap, or who knows what, then walks into the factory , there’s a chance for cross contamination.

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
The humidity plus there’s a video on youtube showing them sorting leaf on the floor of the factory right in the middle of everything . They blender then went on to say “...we’ll then wet this down and let it sit here overnight ..” so they are blending on the floor where machinery and people walk and leave residue. Then let it sit for 8 hours in the moist air on the floor. It’s right in the video. So some guy steps in oil In the parking lot, or dog crap, or who knows what, then walks into the factory , there’s a chance for cross contamination.
Huh? Noooo, that can't be right....

Ew!