C&D. You would think I would learn...

tfdickson

Sales
Patron
The humidity plus there’s a video on youtube showing them sorting leaf on the floor of the factory right in the middle of everything . They blender then went on to say “...we’ll then wet this down and let it sit here overnight ..” so they are blending on the floor where machinery and people walk and leave residue. Then let it sit for 8 hours in the moist air on the floor. It’s right in the video. So some guy steps in oil In the parking lot, or dog crap, or who knows what, then walks into the factory , there’s a chance for cross contamination.
Any chance you have the link handy?

And I take it the blender and everyone else knew it was being filmed rather than the video being shot via a modern-day Upton Sinclair with a hidden camera?

joeahearn

I was very surprised but I recently had a 5 pack of Amphora Virginia contaminated with mold (all 5 pouches). Never (never) heard of mold being found on a Mac Baren tobacco but I imagine it happens to every house from time to time since we are dealing with an organic product. The problem with C&D is they are becoming infamous for their mold problem. l don’t know what it’s going to take for them to get this problem under control but they obviously have not figured it out as of yet. I’m rooting for them but honestly, I do stay away from them more than I probably would because of this issue.
That’s astounding. In thirty years, I’ve never run into any kind of quality problem with any Mac Baren tobacco, let alone mold. I totally trust what you are saying; I’m just incredulous to hear it happened.

Cheeseybacon

Here's one I found...

9:38 is where the pile-of-tobacco-on-the-floor shenanigans start, if anyone is curious and doesn't want to bother watching the whole video.

Mind you, that video is over 4 years old now. HOPEFULLY someone gave them some flak between then and now and they've since changed their processes.

I still don't like their Virginias regardless.

dmkerr

Fabulously non-descript
Staff member
That’s astounding. In thirty years, I’ve never run into any kind of quality problem with any Mac Baren tobacco, let alone mold. I totally trust what you are saying; I’m just incredulous to hear it happened.
I was incredulous as well when I recently discovered two separate batches of bulk ODF grew fungus. It happens. If it had been one, I'd say the jar just wasn't sanitized, but two from two separate years makes me believe it's a Mac Baren problem.

headrott

I was incredulous as well when I recently discovered two separate batches of bulk ODF grew fungus. It happens. If it had been one, I'd say the jar just wasn't sanitized, but two from two separate years makes me believe it's a Mac Baren problem.
Oh damn, @dmkerr. I have two pounds of bulk ODF Flake in jars. Was your moldy ODF the RR or Flake? I haven’t looked this blend in over 2 years now..... now you got me nervous.....

Briarbuda48

I’m so sickened by this. I recently opened a tin of Temple Bar and it was covered in mold. Fortunately SP replaced it right away. I’ve also had this happen to tins of Oak Alley. It amazes me this keeps happening. I’ve never had this mold issue happen with any other blender.

Temple Bar is one of my favorites and is wide and deep in my cellar. If or when the mold hits my stash, I’m trusting that Smoking Pipes will replace it. Unfortunately if this happens I will be replacing aged with fresh. Time will tell.

headrott

Temple Bar is one of my favorites and is wide and deep in my cellar. If or when the mold hits my stash, I’m trusting that Smoking Pipes will replace it. Unfortunately if this happens I will be replacing aged with fresh. Time will tell.
Yeah, I have 5 tins of Temple Bar in the cellar from 2017. It’s the only blend I have had mold. I hope SP would replace it if it ends up moldy. They did the first time.

Sonarman

A bulging tin isn't necessarily indicative of mold formation. Tins sometimes bulge because of fermentation, which is considered a good thing.
Agreed. I was hoping to have a leading indicator, if a bulging tin means fermentation, could it also mean the foreign kind as well. I’m on the fence about putting all C&D into Mylar and no longer buying anything from them.