C&D. You would think I would learn...

This thread brought me a bit of concern.
The only thing C & D that I smoke is Opening night.
I have 2 8oz tins and a couple of 2 oz.
Well I had --- I had to open em up and have a peek. It is all resting peacefully in mason jars.
There were no problems and. I've not experienced any before, but I just had to check and make sure.

My floor mixed C & D Virginia is safe.

Peacock

Resident Hipster
Patron
This thread brought me a bit of concern.
The only thing C & D that I smoke is Opening night.
I have 2 8oz tins and a couple of 2 oz.
Well I had --- I had to open em up and have a peek. It is all resting peacefully in mason jars.
There were no problems and. I've not experienced any before, but I just had to check and make sure.

My floor mixed C & D Virginia is safe.
For now...

sablebrush52

Patron
The humidity plus there’s a video on youtube showing them sorting leaf on the floor of the factory right in the middle of everything . They blender then went on to say “...we’ll then wet this down and let it sit here overnight ..” so they are blending on the floor where machinery and people walk and leave residue. Then let it sit for 8 hours in the moist air on the floor. It’s right in the video. So some guy steps in oil In the parking lot, or dog crap, or who knows what, then walks into the factory , there’s a chance for cross contamination.
It's their "house style".
I saw that video. The guy conducting the tour was stepping all around the pile on the floor, and, yes, his boots were in contact with it. It's just part of their "natural" tobacco. Who doesn't like a little eau de dog droppings, mixed with a dash of dried insect and a smattering of toe fungus? And how could leaving a wet pile of tobacco on a dirty floor in a humid environment possibly induce mold to become active? :mystery:

I saw that video. The guy conducting the tour was stepping all around the pile on the floor, and, yes, his boots were in contact with it. It's just part of their "natural" tobacco. Who doesn't like a little eau de dog droppings, mixed with a dash of dried insect and a smattering of toe fungus? And how could leaving a wet pile of tobacco on a dirty floor in a humid environment possibly induce mold to become active? :mystery:
Remember that old photo set from Ogden's of Liverpool? Everyone wears a lab coat, and gloves, and it looks like a freaking pharmaceutical factory inside.

Gee I wonder what could have changed.

SamInAR

I’ve always wondered how much hair from the C and D crew pipers have smoked over the years. Just watch them blend. There’s definitely hair in there.

dmkerr

Fabulously non-descript
Staff member
:hahaha-024:

Perhaps some toenail clippings? And I did get a tobacco beetle pressed between a few sheaths of GLP Jacknife Plug. I considered keeping it as a pet but then thought it would just eat up my stash and the damn thing wouldn't come when I called it anyway.

sablebrush52

Patron
:hahaha-024:

Perhaps some toenail clippings? And I did get a tobacco beetle pressed between a few sheaths of GLP Jacknife Plug. I considered keeping it as a pet but then thought it would just eat up my stash and the damn thing wouldn't come when I called it anyway.
Oh you got one of the Special Edition tins! How much more did they charge for it?

dmkerr

Fabulously non-descript
Staff member
Oh you got one of the Special Edition tins! How much more did they charge for it?
They actually told me I didn't have to return the beetle and I'd still get full credit. They did, however, include the weight of the beetle when they packaged it originally, so I actually got extra tobacco on the reshipment AND I got to keep the beetle! Reminded me of the times P&C shipped me a POUND of some Sutliff gooper I didn't order and told me I could keep it. Imagine the turmoil I went through when deciding what to do with it. :mystery:

Wolfman

Well that certainly changes my opinion on C&D. Do you know when was the video taken, and if management has changed their unique processing style? I hope you’re not going to tell me this is common in the industry. I may have to move to the south cultivate my own tobaccos.

Sonarman

Ordered some Mylar bags in preparation. I popped a tin of Union Square from 2016, no mold and it smelled great. That tin was very bulged out. Man, it really really sucks to do this. I was planning on keeping everything sealed for many many years. However, I’d rather have the piece of mind. At this point I don’t know if I want to find mold. If I pop all these tins and there is none it’s going to seem pretty silly and a waste of time and money. And if I do find some, I’ll never buy from C&D again because of the lack of confidence in a quality product. Is there any commonality in year of production that might help? Most of my stock is before 2013 and after 2016.

sablebrush52

Patron
Well that certainly changes my opinion on C&D. Do you know when was the video taken, and if management has changed their unique processing style? I hope you’re not going to tell me this is common in the industry. I may have to move to the south cultivate my own tobaccos.
I think the video was made a few years ago. I have no idea if they still dump their tobaccos on the floor to blend it. It certainly isn't like the images I've seen of blending done in British factories. C&D just giving you a touch of the country in every puff.

I was planning on keeping everything sealed for many many years. However, I’d rather have the piece of mind. At this point I don’t know if I want to find mold. If I pop all these tins and there is none it’s going to seem pretty silly and a waste of time and money. And if I do find some, I’ll never buy from C&D again because of the lack of confidence in a quality product.
If there is no mold, you'll have that sense of relief.
If there is mold, it will be less disappointing to learn that today than finding out years from now when you pop the tin in hopes of smoking what's inside.
It's a win-win for you.

If there is no mold, you'll have that sense of relief.
If there is mold, it will be less disappointing to learn that today than finding out years from now when you pop the tin in hopes of smoking what's inside.
It's a win-win for you.
There was mold. I popped 45 tins from 2012-2018 because of one tin. And it seems to be the same one over and over again. I had to pop 45 F’ing tins because C&D won’t recall and address their quality control. Their employees I’m sure smoke their products. They know that Union Square has issues. Particularly from 2018. But, they instead release new hyped up blends like Red Flake (had to do that twice because they COULD NOT HIDE THE FACT IT HAD MOLD) and now Sun Bear. While they are celebrating the success of the latter, they have a huge issue (just for us) that they are not addressing. Here is what 450-600$ worth of questionable tobacco looks like after I had to go through it all. F411021D-499C-484B-B577-214166C87CE8.jpeg 1762D759-CEE3-49F8-BED6-F8C52C3D027D.jpeg E204323B-D5F5-4738-B15F-0E4AC94C015D.jpeg 7EEB568F-6CEB-46AA-B3EE-9BF4300ED7C1.jpeg 35643782-CBEE-4D3E-A27D-19C3D1F64690.jpeg AA03B64C-394A-451F-B9B2-95FAA8D6FF6C.jpeg
And, there is no guarantee that there is not mold under the top layer of tobacco. Con’t.

Last edited: