Can pipe smoking lower blood pressure?

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
I believe it is to subjective.

For some, I can see where it could, provided their piping is a relaxing endeavor rather than just another source for trying to keep up with the Jones'.

For others, for whom acquiring tobacco (especially the hard-to-find varieties) and maintaining pipes (those obsessed with keeping them prestine), I can see where the impact on their BP could be negative.

MakDragon

Optimistic Curmudgeon
Sales
Patron
Old Ted Award Winner
Not to ignite the tobacco safety discussion but I read a great article quite a while ago about the life expectancy of cigarette, pipe and cigar smokers. I will try and find it on my computer drive as to back up my statement but the thing that stuck out for me was that cigar and pipe smokers actually had a life expectancy two years over the average life expectancy.
The belief was that the cigar and pipe smokers smoke differently than cigarette smokers including of course that fact that most do not inhale. The other factor was the environment that pipe and cigar smokers smoke.
Personally, I can attest to the "cigar nights" my brothers and I routinely enjoy together. It involves a porch, comfy chairs, a fire pit, good cigars and usually a six pack of a fine beer split between us. They last about 2-3 hours and we call it "Group Therapy"
That's stress reduction for sure!

I’m 65. BP 114/74, 6’3”, 215 lb. Type B personality. Maybe 5 bowls/week, nicotine wuss. 2 cats, no bp meds, no organic food if I can help it, lotsa red meat, daily moderate alcohol, 1 mile walks at least weekly, usually 2-3x I personally think it’s the cats more than anything. Doctors furious.
Do bear in mind that the original paper that introduced the "Type A" and "Type B" personalities intended to make the case that "Type A" was pathological :D

Not to ignite the tobacco safety discussion but I read a great article quite a while ago about the life expectancy of cigarette, pipe and cigar smokers. I will try and find it on my computer drive as to back up my statement but the thing that stuck out for me was that cigar and pipe smokers actually had a life expectancy two years over the average life expectancy.
The belief was that the cigar and pipe smokers smoke differently than cigarette smokers including of course that fact that most do not inhale. The other factor was the environment that pipe and cigar smokers smoke.
Personally, I can attest to the "cigar nights" my brothers and I routinely enjoy together. It involves a porch, comfy chairs, a fire pit, good cigars and usually a six pack of a fine beer split between us. They last about 2-3 hours and we call it "Group Therapy"
That's stress reduction for sure!
When we're talking about big population scale studies, the differences in tobacco consumption tend to have real powerful correlations with wealth. Rich folks are more likely to indulge in pipe and cigar consumption, and rich folks are more likely to live longer lives, in general

Even if we don't think of ourselves as rich. (Consider, median income in America, pre-pandemic, was ~$28k a year)

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
When we're talking about big population scale studies, the differences in tobacco consumption tend to have real powerful correlations with wealth. Rich folks are more likely to indulge in pipe and cigar consumption, and rich folks are more likely to live longer lives, in general

Even if we don't think of ourselves as rich. (Consider, median income in America, pre-pandemic, was ~$28k a year)
I had never considered this.
But it makes perfectly good sense.
That certainly puts the numbers in a different light.

I have always thought that nicotine was a vaso-constrictor and a stimulant that increases heart and respiration rates. In fact, much to my doctor's chagrin, I often use nicotine to reduce the affects of migraine attacks because of it's affect on the sympathetic nervous system. In a sense, a migraine is an overshoot of the para-sympathetic nervous system, where capillaries dilate and blood leaks into tissues where it normally wouldn't go. Nicotine stimulates the sympathetic nervous system and causes the capillaries to constrict.

What that means to me is that nicotine is a strong drug that 'resets' the balance of the sympathetic system. Or, in other words, a drug that can damage the balance of the sympathetic nervous system if used to excess.

I don't claim absolute 'truth' in those statements, but rather my personal experiences with nicotine.

This is not intended as medical advice, just my thoughts on the matter.
In the short term, nicotine definitely makes b/p go up, but that's the effect of nicotine on the system (constricts blood vessels, which makes diastolic go up, systolic goes up in response to this.) Overall, though, I tend to believe that it brings lower numbers as long as it's relaxing. Relaxing and thinking/working through stress tend to bring down b/p, but that's the overall effect in response to lowered stress. So, if you took vitals right after a bowl, your numbers would be elevated (depending on nicotine content, very likely more elevated if you just finished a bowl of Dark Plug vs. a bowl of 1Q) but in general I feel pretty sure that smoking a pipe in moderation is likely to overall lower your b/p.
Again, not medical advice, and worth only what you paid for it. Unless you have a Patron or Sales or etc. account, in which case it's worth much less than you paid for it.