What's new

Carter Hall, who knew...?

DGErwin11

Supreme Curmudgeon
Staff member
Maybe one of the most mentioned attributes of CH is easy smoking. Maybe that is a major basis of my love for it. I very seldom just sit and smoke and contemplate the universe. I'll be walking, reading, watching TV, hanging out with you yahoos, or just puttering around in general. I just want a tobacco that I can enjoy smoking without a lot of futzing around. :old:

kxg

Patron
So I smoked some CH & CM side by side in similar pipes. The CH was from a pouch that I opened a few days ago. The CM has been in a jar (from a 14 oz tub) on my smoking shelf, opened a few times since August ‘18.
I followed those with a bowl of Sutliff J4 burley.
I found the CH & CM quite similar (no surprise) with the CM a bit deeper. Both were good, non-complicated, straight up smoking goodness. The J4 burley was more interesting and complex, although not overly so.
Given I have a couple of jars of CM and nearly 2 pounds of J4 burley in the cellar, I will wait to order a tub of CH.

Last edited:

Ray Mackessy

I switched to Chatham Manor.
I might be switching back to Carter Hall. I've smoked this blend in several cobs, Falcons, briars & meerschaums and have not been enjoying the taste. I'm not giving up on CM, but things don't look good. I don't think it tastes anything like CH, but I didn't buy it expecting that. Maybe with some age it might change or maybe it's just that my tastes are changing.

PipeHaze

I might be switching back to Carter Hall. I've smoked this blend in several cobs, Falcons, briars & meerschaums and have not been enjoying the taste. I'm not giving up on CM, but things don't look good. I don't think it tastes anything like CH, but I didn't buy it expecting that. Maybe with some age it might change or maybe it's just that my tastes are changing.
You are not alone. I purchased some realizing it wasn't going to be Carter Hall but it didn't do much for me other than have a little more aroma than CH. I much rather just grab a pouch of CH once in a while and enjoy that. Every time Income across talk about CH it makes me want to smoke a bowl of it, that says something. Just a simple, go to, nice and easy smoke.