Cascadia plugs?

Chico

I don't get plugs. What am I missing? Flakes you smoke in flake form, folding and stuffing, and they burn slow and cool. I'd smoke everything as a flake if available (plus all my pipes are flakepipes). But plugs? You just have to chop them up in whatever little pieces you prefer. You can't carve of a hunk and smoke it that way, so it ends up being like a rubbed out flake, or cube cut, or whatever.

I guess I answered my own question, maybe? People like them because they can prepare them how they want, and change to suit the mood?

Yakster

Patron
My feeling is that plugs are strong, slow smoking, with depth of flavor, even after rubbing them out. Concentrated by pressing. I really enjoy Bosun plug and I'm looking forward to trying a few of these.

I could be full of it.

Ozark Wizard

Sales
Old Ted Award Winner
I don't get plugs. What am I missing? Flakes you smoke in flake form, folding and stuffing, and they burn slow and cool. I'd smoke everything as a flake if available (plus all my pipes are flakepipes). But plugs? You just have to chop them up in whatever little pieces you prefer. You can't carve of a hunk and smoke it that way, so it ends up being like a rubbed out flake, or cube cut, or whatever.

I guess I answered my own question, maybe? People like them because they can prepare them how they want, and change to suit the mood?
It's a nostalgia thing that the kids these days are in to. Don't sweat it. The good old days weren't always good. But it does not stop one for pining for them.

lowercaseG

To me, a bowl packed tightly with a shag cut tobacco smokes slowly and provides a fullness and depth of flavor that I can't find in other cuts. No tobacco I like comes in a shag, but if it comes in plug form, I can turn it into one. Also, I'm not a person who likes to dry tobacco to a crisp before smoking. A plug helps with that also.
My question to people who tried it is: How dense are these things? Are they 3p's or salty dogs dense? Less or more?

Codgerindecline

Thank you
Wild :ass: guess, Dunhill Light Flake in Plug form?

To me, a bowl packed tightly with a shag cut tobacco smokes slowly and provides a fullness and depth of flavor that I can't find in other cuts. No tobacco I like comes in a shag, but if it comes in plug form, I can turn it into one. Also, I'm not a person who likes to dry tobacco to a crisp before smoking. A plug helps with that also.
My question to people who tried it is: How dense are these things? Are they 3p's or salty dogs dense? Less or more?
The Campsite I smoked was wetter than any plug I have encountered. They advertise the line as a whole as blends that will stay moist even after the tin is opened. You don’t need a knife to separate the plugs with the grain. I would say less dense at least for Campsite. I will try cutting the next bowl against the grain and cube cutting just to see if there is any taste difference, but I don’t think this blend will ever be a flavor bomb.

TrubkaJoe

I'd really like to want to help you with that.
Sales
Vertical Limit is the one to get if you want some strength. I'm loving it.
Totally. I'm only a few bowls in, but I already know I'll be putting away a few tins of that one. The Downwind is nice too, but definitely not as strong.
How dense are these things? Are they 3p's or salty dogs dense?
They're less dense than those, but not by a ton. I think it's more that they don't have as much binder/sauce. I'd say very similar to Jupiter Slices, if you've had that one. Super easy to get a very thin shaving and a nice ultra-fine shag.

I don't. I wasn't sent any for review either, but CI and P&C doesn't do that. I cant buy blends for reviewing, so I expect I'll miss out on these.
We'll have to fix that, won't we? I'd like to see your reviews.

does it seem super strong like irish flake?
I'm probably not the guy to ask about nicotine content, sad to say. It seems like it's in the same ballpark, I guess.

headrott

Just saw this thread. I clicked the link, started scrolling down the list reading the names I got to the last plug name, and read it as Cascadia Troll Mead”.......lol! I thought, WTF?! THAT should be interesting! I reread it, and still think it might be ok. I like my name better though.😂

jpberg

Cigars & Barbeque
Staff member
Sales
Plugs are meant to be cut against the grain, if you pull off flakes you’re not getting the full blend as intended.
My experience over 40 years is that it usually makes little difference how you prep plugs. Moisture content and how tight or loose you pack are much more important.
I can cut Dark Plug 10 different ways and get 10 different flavors.
Maybe minor, to be fair to the novice, but different, and repeatable.

Top Bottom