What's new

Casing a hot pipe?

Cheeseybacon

Does anyone here routinely place a hot Meerschaum back into its case?

Last night I had dinner at a nearby pub with a cute girl that I met last week. I was enjoying my recently acquired IMP while she ripped down cancer sticks. When the date quickly shifted into a not-so-subtle interrogation about my financials, I quickly hit the brakes and ended the evening earlier than planned. In the process of doing so, I hurriedly stuck my pipe, still very much hot, right into the case.

I have always made a habit of letting a Meerschaum cool before sticking it back in the case but as far as I can tell neither the pipe or the case are any worse for the wear in this instance. I don't think this will become a regular practice for me, but I am curious if anyone here does place a hot pipe back in the case on a regular basis and if you encounter any issues? Wax wicking off the pipe into the case lining, etc?

leacha

░░░░░
Patron

Last night I had dinner at a nearby pub with a cute girl that I met last week. I was enjoying my recently acquired IMP while she ripped down cancer sticks. When the date quickly shifted into a not-so-subtle interrogation about my financials, I quickly hit the brakes and ended the evening earlier than planned. In the process of doing so, I hurriedly stuck my pipe, still very much hot, right into the case.

I have always made a habit of letting a Meerschaum cool before sticking it back in the case but as far as I can tell neither the pipe or the case are any worse for the wear in this instance. I don't think this will become a regular practice for me, but I am curious if anyone here does place a hot pipe back in the case on a regular basis and if you encounter any issues? Wax wicking off the pipe into the case lining, etc?
Years ago when I smoked my claw meer. I would do the exact thing with no detrimental effects.

craig

one positive....you should buy yourself a new meer in celebration of avoiding financial catastrophe....

Cheeseybacon

Thanks feedback folks, I am not going to make a habit now if putting a hot pipe back in the case, but it is nice to know the option is there and relatively safe if the situation necessitates it again in the future.

Also, despite her numerous and poorly masked probings at my money situation, she never once inquired about the pipe, not one word!

craig

Thanks feedback folks, I am not going to make a habit now if putting a hot pipe back in the case, but it is nice to know the option is there and relatively safe if the situation necessitates it again in the future.

Also, despite her numerous and poorly masked probings at my money situation, she never once inquired about the pipe, not one word!
Will bleed you dry but will let you smoke to your hearts content without uttering a bad word.....gotta be a positive in there somewhere.....

JerseyPiper

Not to threadjack, but do you guys all usually keep your meers in their cases? I've wondered about that before...
With other pipes, it seems like you want them to get fresh air.
I don't keep my meers in cases. They sit on my pipe rack ready to roll. My Peterson meer didn't come with a case, just a bag and a cardboard box. Sometimes I wish I took better care of them; they are so scratched up, lol. I really tried at first, but these things just scratch so easily.

Blackop555

Not to threadjack, but do you guys all usually keep your meers in their cases? I've wondered about that before...
With other pipes, it seems like you want them to get fresh air.
As soon as I'm done smoking mine i empty it out give it a wipe on inside with paper towel and a quick buff with a clean cloth on outside and i lay it on top of my pipe cupboard in it's open case. When I'm done smoking it and moving onto next one that is when i close the case and put pipe away

andythebeagle

Meers can take a lot of abuse without any problems. Thay are not fragile. I even carry mine around in my pocket. The only ones I worry about are the basket carvings because the outer walls are very thin in places. Most don't have a case, so get stored in a plastic container with other meers. Haven't seen any problems yet. I stay away from acting like some meer snobs I know. There are a lot of myths out there about meers. I've had some of mine for for over 20 years with no real changes except for the coloring.

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Patron
I did this once with one of my Altinok's. Some of the casing ended up on my Meer. No biggie though. I was able to scrape off the fuzz during the next bowl.
I thought that would be the main concern.

Basically, I see 3 things to think about:
a) will the meerschaum itself take damage by being cased in a hot state. The only logical answer is: NO! Damage to material
will accurr with sudden temperature changes. Casing will slow down the cooling. I can't see any problem there.
b) will the wax in the meer be rubbed off: very much unlikely. If so, holding the pipe in your hand many times while smoking it would have very
much the same effect.
c) will the case hold up to the heat of the pipe: Depending on manufacturing process and/ or the materials used, there
is a chance the pipe gets damaged because of a heat related damage to the case. While I doubt any of the "high end"
meer manufacturers haven't had to deal with this at some point and have adjusted their cases accordingly, a meer from someone less experienced
could come in a case where this is an issue.