Cellaring pipe tobacco

I'm still a beginner pipe smoker, or at least I still feel like one, and I wanted to ask about cellaring some of my tobacco. I've only recently started to buy a few in bulk and I've been putting it in Mason jars. My question is is it OK to put a boveda pack in the jar or is it better to leave it out?

Thank you

Thank you very much for the link. I really appreciate it.

Piping Abe

Confessions of a Burley Lover
On that note though, what if a tin of tobacco gets a bit drier than ideal and we then jar it? Is setting a Bodeva pack on top of the tobacco for a week or so in the jar a decent way to bring the moisture up a bit?

That should work. People do that. Just check the moisture every so often and when it reaches where you want it to be, take it out.

ender1204

I've had blends sit in unsealed tins for 10 years, come back to complete bone dry tobacco, and it still smokes fantastic as is. Doesn't need rehydration with good smoking and packing technique.

On the opposite note though, I've never had a single mason jar fail me and the moisture stays perfectly intact. Now I always dump all of my tobacco in mason jars and never worry about it. I've had some very moist Stonehaven in a jar since 2010 that I've opened on occasion to move some to smaller jars. I am still amazed at how well the mason jars work to retain the original moisture.

Mikewood

On that note though, what if a tin of tobacco gets a bit drier than ideal and we then jar it? Is setting a Bodeva pack on top of the tobacco for a week or so in the jar a decent way to bring the moisture up a bit?
The great thing about pipe tobacco is you can add a few drops of water (rum or whiskey) directly to the tobacco, shake it up and let it sit a week and it will rehydrate. Boveda adjusts the moisture content up or down and that might not be the what you want. 69, 70, 72 percent moisture might not be correct or optimal while “it feels cool and springy” is.

Bach6032

I've had blends sit in unsealed tins for 10 years, come back to complete bone dry tobacco, and it still smokes fantastic as is. Doesn't need rehydration with good smoking and packing technique.

On the opposite note though, I've never had a single mason jar fail me and the moisture stays perfectly intact. Now I always dump all of my tobacco in mason jars and never worry about it. I've had some very moist Stonehaven in a jar since 2010 that I've opened on occasion to move some to smaller jars. I am still amazed at how well the mason jars work to retain the original moisture.
My experience, though seriously limited, has been just the opposite.

I once opened a years-old tin of an E&oter!ca blend--Dorchester? Dunbar?...I can't quite remember now--and it was crispy, crackly, crunchy dry, like a newspaper from the Eisenhower administration that went through a cycle in the toaster. I attempted to dehydrate it--very slowly, of course--but the end result was that the genie had escaped the bottle. The flavor was only a ghost of what a fresh tin provided.

Top Bottom