Changing Tastes

DGErwin11

Supreme Curmudgeon
Staff member
If your main interaction with other pipers is this forum, you won't find much of that here. Not to say we don't rib "snobs " like @jpberg and @dmkerr for their penchant for higher end pipes. And us cob codgers (@Sasquatch coined that phrase) fit right in and are accepted as equal. Yes there are some who seem to view their pipes as status symbols. We have even had a few register here. They quickly find nobody impressed with their disposable income and slink off to a more hospitable place.

tipofthelake

CAUTION: think twice before taking seriously
Patron
Interesting to hear you say that.

I've heard other people say this many times, but the truth is: I am glad I don't know any of those people this refers to.

I know few people that smoke meers, but they are far from looking down on anyone. They value quality and spend
with thought, enjoying the little valuables they are able to obtain and treat them with care. They aren't well off either financially.

Then I only know one regular cob smoker (as cobs are quite expensive in germany) and he does so because
he simply loves them for their asthetics.

Fortunately I only know 2-3 "pipe snobs" and they're beeing assholes all their lives, regarding anything
and everything as far as I am concerned. They'd buy a piece of Carp for $ 1000 just to show everyone that they
don't care and can afford it. not my kind of people.
Nah, my post was mostly joking based on stereotypes. I know some meer aficionados prefer them almost to the exclusion of all other pipes, but I have thankfully only ever seen this attitude searching old posts on random forums.

dmkerr

Fabulously non-descript
Staff member
If your main interaction with other pipers is this forum, you won't find much of that here. Not to say we don't rib "snobs " like @jpberg and @dmkerr for their penchant for higher end pipes. And us cob codgers (@Sasquatch coined that phrase) fit right in and are accepted as equal. Yes there are some who seem to view their pipes as status symbols. We have even had a few register here. They quickly find nobody impressed with their disposable income and slink off to a more hospitable place.
Yeah, we accept all types here, even hillbillies with their cobs. :eeeek:

Seriously, I don't look down on anyone that smokes what they like and I don't look up at anyone that only smokes $1000 artisan pipes. Meerschaums seem to have a "break even" point where they are more reliable smokers and that point is higher than briar pipes. So I gotta spend more to get what I like. I don't think of a Baki or Maddis, etc as a "status symbol"... it's simply a pipe that smokes as good or better than any other, regardless of price.

Terminus

Drink Water, Walk It Off
Patron
Those darn peasants with their inexpensive superior dry smoking vegetables. They wouldn't know how to handle a pipe cleaner. Makes me sick.

What's next, OTC's that have a brown sugar back end and smoke great right out of the tub? Where do we draw the line?

It's the funniest thing, I've done similar in reverse and have just been thinking about it. I was smoking cobs about 90+% of the time for a couple years there, but lately it's been almost all briar. Well, actually, lately it's been mostly the Kaywoodie billiard that I just got in August, and the Old England 59 that I got in January. I think those two briars get 85-90% of my smoking lately.

SmokeRings

Patron
I will say that as I travel, I find that latent humidity has a great deal more to do with the wetness or dryness of a particular smoke in a briar than I had originally thought. Prime example being places like Denver and Phoenix and Salt Lake City tend to produce smokes that are very dry and really quite wonderful with some blends. Other times you have a swimming pool in the heel of your bowl when you fire up an already wet blend in a place like New Orleans, or Atlanta, or Miami, I tend to find that the more humid an area the more attractive Meerschaum and cob pipes become, they tend to help dry out a smoke a bit better than a briar, and don't require you to pay nearly as much attention to the pipe as a briar would...briars can and do still offer a wonderful smoke, you just have to concentrate on cadence etc to avoid smoking it too fast and getting bit.

As to snobby folks, here at PSD (and the old PSF by extension) they tend to do one of two things, leave, or have that epiphany that tells them they don't have to be Mr. Moneybags to fit in here and get it out of their system pretty rapidly, it's why I continue to be an active member of this community but generally do not participate on other boards unless it is for a specific purpose