What's new

Chelsea Morning Review

Sorringowl

With feathers
Sales
I recently started the first in a series of tobacco reviews in The Journal (my blog) part on my website. It's a bit of a different take on tobacco reviews, but hopefully, you'll get something out of it. It's a bit long to post here on the forum, as I go over some of my "rules" for reviewing tobacco, but, here is an excerpt, or, the "meat and potatoes" of the review....

"Speaking of meat and potatoes, that's one of the best ways I could describe, overall, my general feelings about Chelsea Morning. Not a, "I ate so much meat and potatoes last night, I fell asleep," kind of feeling. More like you were drinking last night--not a lot, but enough that when you woke up, you thought to yourself, "Hey, I wonder if there's any of that meat and potato dish left from last night?"

Chelsea Morning is by no means a heavy blend, but, it is very satisfying, like a good, solid, tobacco breakfast of champions!

And while we're on the subject of "morning blends," let's just put it out there and dust off the obligatory comparison to another famous morning blend, Dunhill's Early Morning Pipe, and get it over with. Now, I've seen many a pipe smoker try to compare the two, but I think these two blends are worlds apart. Further (and while I don't have access to the inside of the man's head), I don't think that Pease ever meant this blend to be replica or even an homage to that particular blend. But, in my own opinion, if I HAD to compare the two, well....I would say, if Chelsea Morning is a meat and potatoes breakfast, Early Morning Pipe is like a cereal bowl of dried out cigarette butts, with bran...after you discovered there's only 3 drops of milk left. Ouch.

And, yes, I know. I'm an a--hole for saying that (and I sincerely apologize to all the EMP fans out there), but...someone had to. And yes, I'll give EMP a fair shake in a future review series (like..."Blends I Absolutely Hate!"--just kidding), but, for now, let's just agree to disagree, and move on, shall we?...

Okay, so, where was I?...Chelsea Morning...tobacco breakfast of champions (I really like that phrase...)....oh, yes! CM is a very satisfying smoke, probably due less to the Latakia component of this blend, which I think is expertly just sprinkled on there (at least to my taste), and, more, I think, because of the Virginias. I really think of this blend as more of an English Virginia, if there's such a thing (which, yes, I know there isn't--don't be so literal), but that's the best way to describe it.

I would actually describe this as being more of a Balkan than an English. What's the difference, you ask? Do you have a week?? No? Okay, well then, I'll, briefly describe the difference between the two as best I can: An English blend is like, well, an Englishman, wearing a tweed jacket, smoking a pipe out on the moors. A Balkan is like the same English guy, doing the same thing, but while playing a Balalaika! (It's like a Russian guitar/mandolin kind of thing. Google it.)

In other words, a Balkan, has a bit more of a twang than an English blend, at least to me. Maybe that's due to the fact that the ratio between latakia and oriental tobaccos seems to be me more evenly spread in balkans, and Chelsea Morning exemplifies that characteristic, and does it very well.

Anyway, what else? To me, CM is an all-day kind of smoke, and I always taste something new when I smoke it, especially if I smoke it regularly. It's really unlike any other blend I've tried, and--oh, yeah! wait a minute! the Perique!...."

There's a bit more to this review, but that's my take, so, if you want to read it, in full, click here visit the website. Thanks for looking.

Sorringowl

With feathers
Sales
Frank, read this on your website yesterday, and saw this just now. Enjoyable approach to reviews. Now, what will the other four tobaccos in your top five be...
Hey @icerunoff Thanks for the kind words (much appreciated) and, I can't reveal that information just yet because then they'll be a run on my favorite tobaccos....:whistling:

Just keeding....

In no particular order, here are the 4 that round out my top 5:
-GLP Stonehenge Flake
-SPC Plum Pudding
-Chonowitsch T 16
and the last blend is a toss up between GLP's Caravan or Key Largo (which I absolutely hated [KL], by the way, when I first tried it).

Okay, that's 6 but, so, maybe I'll make it 5a and 5b. Can I do that?

jshogan2

Hey @icerunoff Thanks for the kind words (much appreciated) and, I can't reveal that information just yet because then they'll be a run on my favorite tobaccos....:whistling:

Just keeding....

In no particular order, here are the 4 that round out my top 5:
-GLP Stonehenge Flake
-SPC Plum Pudding
-Chonowitsch T 16
and the last blend is a toss up between GLP's Caravan or Key Largo (which I absolutely hated [KL], by the way, when I first tried it).

Okay, that's 6 but, so, maybe I'll make it 5a and 5b. Can I do that?
Stonehenge is in my top 5 as well. What a fantastic flake. Great review, Frank. Keep 'em comin'!

Sorringowl

With feathers
Sales
CM is excellent, possibly incredible. It's the blend where I had to stop kinda ragging on Pease and say "For real, I couldn't possibly blend this, ever." It's Great, capital G.
Yeah, I kinda' feel like Pease has that magic touch with more than a few of his blends, especially some of the blends he made with Craig Tarler, on their Two Friends line, like Deacon's Downfall, which, if CM wasn't around, would be my replacement. Hopefully, that won't happen, though. I'd like CM to stick around.