What's new

Chicago Pipe Show 2019

Winton

It is time to schedule your vacation to the Chicago Pipe Show, at Pheasant Run in Saint Charles. The event starts on Wednesday, May 1st. The big show is on Saturday and Sunday, May 4-5. I am predicting that the weather in the Smoking Tent will be cloudy the entire time!

The first event is the Pipe Finishing Seminar, on Wednesday and Thursday. For $125, you will be provided a briar block, with the holes drilled. Several top carvers will teach you how to turn this block into a pipe. Be prepared to spend a LOT of time sanding! There will also be an opportunity for several students to also attend a class on how to drill the holes for the pipe. The cost for both would be $175.

If you are interested, please contact Craig Cobine, at PORSHCIGAR@AOL.COM to register and pay the fees.

Winton

On Saturday night, there will be a dinner at the New Orleans ballroom at Pheasant Run. After this elegant meal, the new Doctors and Masters of Pipes will be presented. There will also be a raffle for several boxes of cigars. Please contact Craig Cobine at PORSHCIGAR@AOL.COM to register. Pheasant Run needs to know how many dinners to expect.

All prices inclusive of tax and service fee
Traditional Garden Salad with Ranch and Italian dressing

Beef Option
Roasted Prime Rib of Beef 8oz Thick Cut Roasted to Perfection and served with Natural Au Jus and Creamy Horseradish Sauce $49

Poultry Option
Chicken Alexandria Pan Seared and Brushed with Honey Mustard Crusted with a Mixture of Pecans, Walnuts, Almonds and Sundried Cranberries Set on Sautéed Baby Spinach Sauced with Calvados Buerre Blanc $46

Seafood Option
Salmon Americana Pan Seared and Topped with Shrimp and Scallops with Lobster Crème $46

Vegetarian Entrée
Roasted Vegetable Pasta Portobello Mushrooms, Zucchini, Asparagus, Baby Bok Choy and Grilled Artichokes Nestled on a Bed of Pappardelle Pasta. Complimented with a Sundried Tomato Asiago Broth $40

Dessert Options at alternating seats
Flourless Chocolate Cake, Topped with White Chocolate Crème and garnished with Fresh Kiwi and Strawberries
Cheesecake, Rich New York Cheesecake with Raspberry Infusion in a Graham Cracker Crust

Kilted Pipe Guy

Token Scotsman
Patron
They’re both good. No argument from me.
I will print this off, frame it a hang it in the grotto!

I think I will be there. I have wife and son convinced to go. My son is showing an interest in pipe smoking.
Dont let them meet any of us, We will put anyone off pipe smoking or anything. Introduce @Spillproof he's a responsible adult. My mum met him a couple of years ago she liked him...

Winton

For Christmas, the wife bought me tickets to Chicago!! (Bless her heart). I will be a first time attendee. I am anxiously awaiting the thread that will tell me what to look for/ do. Looking forward to meeting all of you (I think).
I really enjoy publishing the details of the show, as they become available. I post the same info on several pipe forums, but each group reacts differently. No, I won't say which group is the most silly.

Langridor

Patron
Looking for some guidance. I am planning to attend but not sure whether to commit to one or two nights of hotel stays (kinda pricey for my country :booty:). Having never been to a pipe show before, my fear is I will wander the exhibition area for two or three hours and be done .. "meh". As I do not typically interact much with strangers (and I can tell just how strange some of you are) I don't see myself engaging in many long conversations over emblazoned bowls of tobacco either.

So is - in by noon on Saturday and out at noon Sunday - a good start for my first big pipe show? Or will I not be able to see it all and regret not popping for two nights of hotel?

BTW.. in all actuality I really would enjoy meeting some of you. Do we have some kind of secret handshake or nose flick like in the THE STING so that we know each other when we pass by?

Teddy Jeavons

Leaf and Leaf
Sales
Looking for some guidance. I am planning to attend but not sure whether to commit to one or two nights of hotel stays (kinda pricey for my country :booty:). Having never been to a pipe show before, my fear is I will wander the exhibition area for two or three hours and be done .. "meh". As I do not typically interact much with strangers (and I can tell just how strange some of you are) I don't see myself engaging in many long conversations over emblazoned bowls of tobacco either.

So is - in by noon on Saturday and out at noon Sunday - a good start for my first big pipe show? Or will I not be able to see it all and regret not popping for two nights of hotel?

BTW.. in all actuality I really would enjoy meeting some of you. Do we have some kind of secret handshake or nose flick like in the THE STING so that we know each other when we pass by?
Last year I came in Friday night and left Saturday night. I would have certainly looked again the next day had I stayed, but I didn't feel I shorted myself terribly. This year I'm staying a second night more for social reasons and to have a less hectic travel schedule than for pipe lusting reasons, though of course I'll spend more time at the show proper as well.

You will see plenty with your "in by Sat noon out by Sun noon" plan, in fact, insomuch as the show itself, you will see more of it than I ever do with my two night stay. I originally went to the show to see the show, now I go to see friends and kill brain cells. lol