What's new

Chicago Pipe Show 2019

Kilted Pipe Guy

Token Scotsman
Patron
Is it against the rules for me to say “bite me”?

I am a man of distinguished demeanor and uncommon good taste.
I have more couth in my little pinky than you have in your whole pinky.
The Dalai Lama himself strives to emulate me.
I am the reason the Y2K bug did not result in global extinction.
I coached the Dos Equis actor to make him interesantè.
I am...oh, never mind. A plebeian such as yourself can not comprehend.

Who are you and what have you done with the real @Cappadoc??

Kilted Pipe Guy

Token Scotsman
Patron
So again... Is there a secret handshake? How will I know you guys from all the other pot-bellied, balding, beer drinking, dentally challenged pipe smokers?
Not so much a secret handshake as an aura of trouble that surrounds the area when more than three of us gather...

Also once you meet one, we’re quite good in introducing you to everyone else. Although that can take several days, and not always using real names.

Here’s last years thread, it might give any of the new guys some insight.

https://pipesmokersdens.com/threads/chicago-pipe-show-2018.120/page-4

Teddy Jeavons

Leaf and Leaf
Sales
So again... Is there a secret handshake? How will I know you guys from all the other pot-bellied, balding, beer drinking, dentally challenged pipe smokers?
We are a pretty easy bunch to spot. I will be the tallest guy there at 6'9". @Kilted Pipe Guy will be wearing a kilt and is pretty big as well. If you catch him, @Cappadoc and myself together, we will look like the heart of an offensive line.

Many of us tend to hang out more in the golf suite (which we call the grotto) rather than the tent. It is just a nicer place to hang out. It was even nicer about four years ago when only a few of us knew that it existed. You can bring whatever you want to drink with you; whereas, the tent does not allow outside alcohol as the resort wants you to buy their overpriced drinks from the bar they have set up in said tent. That said, this rule is often broke. lol

Keep an eye on this thread or a different thread if one is started around showtime. We all tend to periodically post things like where we are at and what we are doing.

You have to go through the link at chicagopipeshow.com:
https://reservations.travelclick.com/2932?groupID=2012719#/guestsandrooms

Looks like all kinds of rooms still available.
(But to anyone who had heart palpitations reading Mak's post, now's the time to book ;))

We ran into this scare last year. Don't waste your time trying to book this online as it will show up as all booked. The reason is that the rooms are reserved for the show. So you have to use the link @Teddy Jeavons has posted. On that, you will find 10 numbers in four groups. This is called a telephone number. punch the numbers into your phone and a human will answer. Tell them you are with the show and you would like to book the room. They will take your credit card information and everything.

Teddy Jeavons

Leaf and Leaf
Sales
We ran into this scare last year. Don't waste your time trying to book this online as it will show up as all booked. The reason is that the rooms are reserved for the show. So you have to use the link @Teddy Jeavons has posted. On that, you will find 10 numbers in four groups. This is called a telephone number. punch the numbers into your phone and a human will answer. Tell them you are with the show and you would like to book the room. They will take your credit card information and everything.
Side note: Based on a sample size of 3ish, they're extremely courteous on the phone. It's fun to book via phone instead of the internet just to be reminded of what good phone customer service is like.

Kilted Pipe Guy

Token Scotsman
Patron
I’ll second this as I got the scare last year. Make sure you meantion the show a couple of times, especially if you have a funny accent like i do.

I called yesterday with no problem.

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Just booked my room. Be sure to mention “Pipe Show 2019” for the discounted rate. I need to be in DC that week so I will arrive Friday night. For my late penalty I will bring alcohol.
I don't drink but I have spent a considerable amount of time observing the shenanigans at the show. Friday night is a night of debauchery - more so than Saturday because by then most people are too chewed up to keep up the pace. After around 10pm bottles of liquor seem to sublimate upon opening.