What's new

Cigar Leaf

JRobert

Nuclear Moderator
Staff member
Let's talk about cigar leaf pipe tobacco (we have another thread about smoking cigars in a pipe, but that's not what I'm talking about). Despite its name, I don't think cigar leaf makes a pipe blend taste like a cigar (if you want a cigar, smoke a cigar). I think cigar leaf gives a blend strength and "body" -- words like "robust" and "thick" are often used in reviews of these blends. I have tried a few of these blends, but only have one in regular rotation (Habana Daydream).

Habana Daydream (Black Cavendish, Cigar Leaf, Latakia, Perique, Virginia) -- to me this is a balanced blend (no one component overwhelming the others) with a nice bit of pepper from the perique and just a touch of latakia. I like it a lot.

Billy Budd (Burley, Cigar Leaf, Latakia, Virginia) -- I like this, but not enough to keep it around. I think Fr_Tom nailed this one in his review: "This is a blend for people who complain that smoking X is 'thin' or like 'smoking hot air.' If you want flavor this is it. ... It works well and there is a certain chewy quality to the smoke."

John Patton's Storm Front (Burley, Cigar Leaf) -- in my opinion, this is a must-try for burley lovers.

John Patton's Dark Horse (Burley, Cigar Leaf, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia) -- I did not like this as much as I thought I would, based on the component list. It's not bad, but I am in no hurry to buy more. Maybe I am just too used to C&D blends, but I found Dark Horse a bit bland.

Purple Cow (Burley, Cigar Leaf, Latakia, Virginia) -- Blended by Bob Runowski and recommended by Mister Moo. I have a tin of this waiting for "the fullness of time" -- I should open it one of these days.

I have not tried John Patton's Oriental Dusk (Burley, Cigar Leaf, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia), but it sounds like something I would like, so if I place another order at 4Noggins I might buy some.

Some others I have seen mentioned are John Patton's Dark and Stormy (Storm Front plus Latakia), Peretti's Cuban Mixture (Burley, Cavendish, Cigar Leaf, Kentucky, Latakia, Maryland, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia), GLP Key Largo (Cigar Leaf, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia), and GLP Robusto (Cigar Leaf, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia).

What's your favorite cigar leaf blend?

Ozark Wizard

I've smoked Cuban Mixture young and old, and really didn't get the fullness I expected from it having cigar leaf. Maybe it has something to do with the kind of cigar leaf? Varying leaf types proffer different flavors and sensations. I like what a decent amount of Maduro can do for a Virginia blend, and Cameroon Seco is a treat with a Burley. I guess it depends on what kind of notes you're going for. Dusky, leather, creamy ,etc.

Green Drake

I've smoked Cuban Mixture young and old, and really didn't get the fullness I expected from it having cigar leaf. Maybe it has something to do with the kind of cigar leaf? Varying leaf types proffer different flavors and sensations. I like what a decent amount of Maduro can do for a Virginia blend, and Cameroon Seco is a treat with a Burley. I guess it depends on what kind of notes you're going for. Dusky, leather, creamy ,etc.
I found blend 500 to be a much better example of the cigar leaf richness, but Cuban Mixture is a nice, mild blend.

easterngray

Cuban Mixture is one of my favorite blends, though I think the cigar leaf’s presence is pretty subdued. Hearth and Home’s Virginia Spice and John Patton’s Storm Front are the other two CL blends that I cellar and enjoy. If I had to rate those three it would be in that order. Am I correct in believing that “cigar leaf” is flue-cured burley?

Langridor

Patron
I’m smoking some C&D Grey Ghost which is a cigar leaf and Virginia blend. Coming to pipe smoking after many years of cigar smoking I am really beginning to appreciate the blend. Strength and body are definitely there and rounded out nicely with stoved virginia. Not like smoking a cigar for sure, but my palate is sensing that familiar cigar like aroma in a slightly more fruity cooler smoking experience.

Let's talk about cigar leaf pipe tobacco (we have another thread about smoking cigars in a pipe, but that's not what I'm talking about). Despite its name, I don't think cigar leaf makes a pipe blend taste like a cigar (if you want a cigar, smoke a cigar). I think cigar leaf gives a blend strength and "body" -- words like "robust" and "thick" are often used in reviews of these blends. I have tried a few of these blends, but only have one in regular rotation (Habana Daydream).

Habana Daydream (Black Cavendish, Cigar Leaf, Latakia, Perique, Virginia) -- to me this is a balanced blend (no one component overwhelming the others) with a nice bit of pepper from the perique and just a touch of latakia. I like it a lot.

Billy Budd (Burley, Cigar Leaf, Latakia, Virginia) -- I like this, but not enough to keep it around. I think Fr_Tom nailed this one in his review: "This is a blend for people who complain that smoking X is 'thin' or like 'smoking hot air.' If you want flavor this is it. ... It works well and there is a certain chewy quality to the smoke."

John Patton's Storm Front (Burley, Cigar Leaf) -- in my opinion, this is a must-try for burley lovers.

John Patton's Dark Horse (Burley, Cigar Leaf, Oriental/Turkish, Perique, Virginia) -- I did not like this as much as I thought I would, based on the component list. It's not bad, but I am in no hurry to buy more. Maybe I am just too used to C&D blends, but I found Dark Horse a bit bland.

Purple Cow (Burley, Cigar Leaf, Latakia, Virginia) -- Blended by Bob Runowski and recommended by Mister Moo. I have a tin of this waiting for "the fullness of time" -- I should open it one of these days.

I have not tried John Patton's Oriental Dusk (Burley, Cigar Leaf, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia), but it sounds like something I would like, so if I place another order at 4Noggins I might buy some.

Some others I have seen mentioned are John Patton's Dark and Stormy (Storm Front plus Latakia), Peretti's Cuban Mixture (Burley, Cavendish, Cigar Leaf, Kentucky, Latakia, Maryland, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia), GLP Key Largo (Cigar Leaf, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia), and GLP Robusto (Cigar Leaf, Latakia, Oriental/Turkish, Virginia).

What's your favorite cigar leaf blend?
I have actually tried all of these blends thus far as I really enjoy these type blends as change ups. Of them, I find the oriental Dusk to be the most cigarlike of all.

My favorites are GLP Robusto, Storm Front and Purple Cow.

I have Perettis Cuban Blend open right now and have been enjoying it. I could see it jumping into that favorite list.

Couple not mentioned are some that I feel are more Virginia blend than cigar. That being the two McClelland Dominican Glory blends and Virginia Spice by H & H.

Good thread @JRobert