Clocks

MrTalkRadio

Fixing the World One Broadcast at a Time
Patron
Recent auction find...probably will be my last....my hands have gotten to the point I cannot work on them anymore.
Already spoke to a friend who wants to by what left of my personal cherry picked ones
Then the tools will go.
I I never got a bushing machine, just hand reamed them...but the Ollie Baker spring winders are getting hard to find.
Amazing how many little tools I have acquired over time.

This is a little Swiss made one (I think) as a rule when you see something you've never seen before get it while you can.
I don’t think I overpaid as I haven't seen on like it.
It is not running, but thankfully it is not spring wound so probably just needs taken apart and cleaned.
Really cool part is the glass on the sides, sort of an antique clear with rippled effect. Also the pendulum can be seen through an oval window and is a little horse that goes back and forth.
The ornate brass work and the bronze(?) statue holding up the obsidian globe are all perfect, and look very cool.
View attachment 128624

View attachment 128625
View attachment 128626

View attachment 128627

View attachment 128628
That is special!

MrTalkRadio

Patron
A very important (and dangerous) tool is needed, this is an Ollie Baker Spring Winder.
And the C-rings and cups to capture the spring once it is let down.
View attachment 128650

View attachment 128651

Other than these, you most likely have a lot of the tools.
Needle nose pliers, calipers, tiny screwdrivers, ect..
In that first photo of tools the long black looking thing is to help you maneuver pivots to liine up when re-assembling.
Time Savers is a great place to not only get tools from but have a paper catalog for all sorts of replacement parts.

HTH,

M
Fantastic stuff, I got my baker tool about 7 years ago, much cheaper than now. Timesavers is a great place to shop. I have several places I use, but always timesavers first. I scored 3 Starret Pin Vices on an auction site a few years back, best buy I've had. I use KVM and Bergeron bushings, the gauge (expensive) is a great tool. I bought the table top HF drill press for drilling and pressing and hand ream the holes. It's a hobby of mine, working on friends and families clocks and don't expect to be paid.

MrTalkRadio

Patron
When we were in Germany with the Air Force in the mid-late 60s, my Dad became interested in antique wall clocks. Other than hi-fi, it's the only hobby I ever remember my Dad having.

At one time we had 16 restored clocks all running at once on the walls in our housing unit on Arizonastraße in Wiesbaden. Most were sold off before we returned to the States but a few were brought back and this clock was a gift to my Great Uncle, the pipe smoker. It was still running in his house when he passed away in 1993 and I got the clock.

It was running until about a year ago when I overwound it and broke the mainspring. It is replaceable and they are available, but I've never gotten around to fixing it. It's running in this photo from a couple of years ago. From what I can tell of the marks on the clockwork, it was made in Britain, but I think the clock case was made in Germany though I can't be certain. I believe the clock dates from the late teens or early 20's.

This is the last surviving clock of my Dad's collection from 1967.

xw0Gig8.jpg
Beautiful!

MakDragon

Optimistic Curmudgeon
Sales
Old Ted Award Winner
Here is it compared to my HM...

Here is a pic of the last of the collection...

View attachment 128631
My dad had one of these clocks as I was growing up. I actually learned to tell time with it! Roman numerals and all! Sadly I cannot get it to work anymore and the local clock repair places charge an arm and a leg, or in pipe terms, a Dunhill and an Former.
Thanks for the memory!

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
When we were in Germany with the Air Force in the mid-late 60s, my Dad became interested in antique wall clocks. Other than hi-fi, it's the only hobby I ever remember my Dad having.

At one time we had 16 restored clocks all running at once on the walls in our housing unit on Arizonastraße in Wiesbaden. Most were sold off before we returned to the States but a few were brought back and this clock was a gift to my Great Uncle, the pipe smoker. It was still running in his house when he passed away in 1993 and I got the clock.

It was running until about a year ago when I overwound it and broke the mainspring. It is replaceable and they are available, but I've never gotten around to fixing it. It's running in this photo from a couple of years ago. From what I can tell of the marks on the clockwork, it was made in Britain, but I think the clock case was made in Germany though I can't be certain. I believe the clock dates from the late teens or early 20's.

This is the last surviving clock of my Dad's collection from 1967.

xw0Gig8.jpg

That's a beautiful clock.
I love everything about it.

@BlueMaxx
You have one AMAZING collection. So many of those are absolutely STUNNING.

Top Bottom