Cob Break-in

IslandCobFog

So I smoke almost only MM cobs. I have 8 which I have never done anything special to other than load and smoke right from day one. I just ordered a few of the more premium models and have been researching the different break-in/mudding methods. Is this really important? Or should I just fill em with baccy and smoke em? Which do you prefer?

DGErwin11

Head Hooligan Honcho
Staff member
Patron
Mudding is a complete waste of time unless you are trying to repair one. People freak out about how the shank extends into the bowl. But in time ash and dottle settle in there and gives a hard rounded bottom. At the top of this section is my treatise on corn cob pipe care. For what it's worth, I also am of load and smoke. Since several of my cobs are 10+ years old, I must be doing something right.

Riff

What they said. Load, smoke, repeat. I have only used mud on one cob because like @DGErwin11 said the shank didn’t extend very far into the bowl. I did it because I’m a cheap SOB and didn’t like that the last little bit wouldn’t burn. I hate breaking in new cobs personally Mark Twain had the perfect method for breaking in a pipe and if I could I would use his technique!

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
What they said. Load, smoke, repeat. I have only used mud on one cob because like @DGErwin11 said the shank didn’t extend very far into the bowl. I did it because I’m a cheap SOB and didn’t like that the last little bit wouldn’t burn. I hate breaking in new cobs personally Mark Twain had the perfect method for breaking in a pipe and if I could I would use his technique!
What, send it off to some sot and let him break it in, then get it back ready to burn?