What's new

Cob still sour after cleaning

Terminus

Drink Water, Walk It Off
Patron
You typically dont want to do the salt/alcohol treatment on cobs. Try to avoid liquids with them, because they will internalize it. If you absolutely have to, clean the shank with a pipe cleaner with a drop or two of 99% iso-alc and dry ream the bowl with a knife/reamer/paper towel. Leave it out in the sun and be sure to remove the bit if it's vulcanite. If you do use alcohol let it dry several days, but avoid it in bowl cleaning.

^^. They are right on point. Cobs are pretty cheap, pick up 1 or 2 more. In the meanwhile remove the stem, clean the shank with doubled over pipe cleaners until they come out clean and put it in the sunshine. Mother Nature works wonders.
It will probably need a couple of days at least to dry good.
You really don’t ever want to introduce liquid to the bowl- cobs will absorb it.

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight
Patron
Already great advice. At this point wait until you have a really nice sunny day. Pull the stem off, and lay the bowl in direct sunlight. Let it lay there all day--direct sunlight. This works miracles on cobs, and I've done it with some briars--stem off/out.
If after you do this, and there are still issues--well--it's time for a new cob.
It was already said about NOT using liquids in a cob. The cob material due to its general nature will pull all that gunk into the cob itself. Alcohol really absorbs into the cob material taking with it tars, oils, etc., and it may ruin your cob.

craig

I will sound what has been said above, give it a sunbath, I thought that advice was utter tosh being Frank when I first heard it but it does work and the improvement is remarkable.
I would also suggest buying some more cobs, although cobs can and will take a lot of heavy smoking it is still wish to rotate them to give them a rest now and then.
Also may I suggest adding a falcon and a couple of spare bowls to your rotation they are cheap pipes but they are excellent cheap pipes and will serve you well over many years.
They are quite easy to break in and will be smoking sweetly in very little time.
A stem and three or four bowls will satisfy your needs.

Fr_Tom

PSD Chaplain
Old Ted Award Winner
I have never had a cob get sour. I will often have one that is my "go to work" pipe for a week or two, and it might get smoked 5 or 6 times a day and not see a pipe cleaner but once during the day. I have heard the sun treatment recommended, and if I ever got a sour one, I would try that.

It is possible if it is your only pipe, and you are a "wet" smoker, it has some moisture that has soaked in and has developed a taste. This is a good argument for a few more cobs.

I apologize if anyone hit on this yet, but I don't think they did. Your filter is likely the issue if you are using one. Many of us prefer our cobs without filters. Others will change the filter every few smokes. A filter that has been used for several smokes will taste nasty, and I know of no way to clean them. I would smoke without the filter if you were using it. If you were not using a filter, please disregard my ramblings!

tipofthelake

Apparently I don't like the taste of tobacco
Patron
I apologize if anyone hit on this yet, but I don't think they did. Your filter is likely the issue if you are using one. Many of us prefer our cobs without filters. Others will change the filter every few smokes. A filter that has been used for several smokes will taste nasty, and I know of no way to clean them. I would smoke without the filter if you were using it. If you were not using a filter, please disregard my ramblings!
I always forget about the filters since the main cob I smoke is the psfpoy cobbler, which doesn't have one. My Twain did come with one, and I didn't think about it being there the first few bowls, and yeah, it got kind of funky. Good thought, @StompyMcFat !

Wow...that is a nugget of gold for sure, I haven't bought a new cob for so long I had forgotten about that, great call