What's new

Coloring Bowls

Has anyone here used one of these? If so what is your opinion of them. I'm thinking about getting one or making one.

Thx

blackmouth210

Has anyone here used one of these? If so what is your opinion of them. I'm thinking about getting one or making one.

Thx
I've never used one.
I always thought them unnecessary.
Seems smoking a meer as we would any other pipe has always been enough to color a meerschaum.

But, if you decide to try one, I look forward to seeing you post your progress here. :thumb-yello:

Shasta Piper

I have used one. I started with a new IMP and was faithful to the coloring bowl for about one year. In that time It colored very evenly but very slowly. The whole thing I found to be a pain and gave up, never to use it again.

Siv

Mg4Si6O15(OH)2·6H2O
Sales
I've never tried one but they seem like a lot of effort to get even colouring on a pipe. If that's what you're after then I say go for it!

In my experience, I think the main thing preventing good colouring of meers is that we have too many of them. I have a lovely Peterson meer estate that was clearly the only pipe of someone and has nice dark even colour all over. All my pipes haven't coloured much more than the shank but that's because I have far too many and rotate constantly!

blackmouth210

Can you really tell if a coloring bowl worked?
Wouldn't it be almost impossible to determine whether or not the meer pipe would have colored in a similar manner by just smoking it without the bowl?

Not crapping on anyone using a coloring bowl.
I'm just genuinely curious how anyone can actually KNOW whether or not a coloring bowl made a difference in their pipe's coloring?

I recently saw a Meer that has had 60 to 70 bowls smoked though a coloring bowl. The color on the complete bowl was uniform.
Consider this while smoking a coloring bowl the Meers chamber becomes a large reverse Calabash . The smoke and moisture come into the chamber without the heat in which will allow the tars to absorb into the material. As we all know there is some heat in the smoke, this warmth helps to open the pours so the tars, nicotine can absorb. Yes, this is a lot of work to do but if you were to do this it would be just as unique as your other Meers. Another down side is that the Need should be new or very lightly smoked. In other words very little or no carbon in its bowl for the absorption.

I too have many Meets that don't get smoked they get forgotten because they are set aside so they don't get broken. Or in our busy lives they are set aside because we don't have the time to sit down and pay attention while smoking them. Last count I have about 12 Meers.

JerseyPiper

I remember seeing pictures of meers with a good dark patina cross-sectioned. The inside of the pipe itself was pristine white - only the outside surface of the meer holds the patina. This has led me to wonder if the Meer's patina really comes from the smoke being absorbed by the smoke inside the pipe, or if instead the patina is developed from just the smoke blowing around the pipe. If the color is being absorbed from inside the pipe, how can it be that only the outside of the pipe retains the patina?

I have a Peterson Sherlock Holmes meer, and always clench the pipe on the far left side of my jaw. The right side of this pipe, where the smoke would blow from my my mouth, is noticeably darker than the other.

daveinlax

Michael Butera is a friend of a friend.
When asked about the coloring bowls he said something like: "Yeah they didn't really work out."

There really aren't any shortcuts to coloring a meer except tinted wax.
Mike is a friend of mine and I believe his quote is out of context. :geek:

JRobert

Nuclear Moderator
Staff member
Michael Butera is a friend of a friend.
When asked about the coloring bowls he said something like: "Yeah they didn't really work out."
The UPS guy who delivers to the office where my sister's boyfriend's cousin works says Mike has back problems and wants to retire.

Oh wait.. might be a different Mike.