Comoy Opinions

Slow Tri

Is it Friday yet?
Sales
I'm just wondering if anyone has any opinion/experience with the older Comoy pipes. Not the recent production ones. I'm talking pre-1980 and post-1980.

Pre was when they were still made in England and Post is when they moved to France. Are the French made ones extremely sub-par to the English made ones or are they still a pretty decent pipe?

RDPipes

Misogynistic Pipe Maker to the Stars!
Sales
I've had a few earlier Comoy's and I believe they're as good as any Dunhill but the later French made
I haven't a clue. But, I can tell ya, I've never had a French pipe that didn't gurgle. YMMV

WrightwoodJohn

Have had a couple early ones with the 3 piece "C", they were great pipes & wouldn't hesitate to buy another and will at some point.
Not sure about the new ones, but I know I dislike the cheaper "C" sticker type logo. Makes me wonder what else is cheaper about them in general.

Attention @JimInks

JimInks

Sales
Old Ted Award Winner
I have over 40 Comoy's firsts (Blue Ribands, Grand Slams, Deluxe, etc.) and seconds as well as those made for pipe shops from the 1920s-2000s. The seconds smoke just as well as the firsts from the 1920s-1960s. Same goes the pipes they made for the pipe shops like Sutliff, John's, Grant's, etc. The 1970s-early 80s pipes are very good smokers, but not quite as good as the earlier years when they used better, older briar. I have two made in France post-2010. They are good smokers, but not as good as earlier productions. I notice the bowls get warmer a little faster as well. I'm not sorry I have them as they perform well enough to enjoy.

The Comoy's made in the 1920s-1950s stand as high as any company producing pipes in that time period.

TrubkaJoe

I'd really like to want to help you with that.
Sales
I've been super curious about current production Comoys, so glad to see this thread. About all I know on the subject Is that really love my older Guildhall pipes, and when a seconds line is that good it really tells you something. I think I read that the decline in quality post 1980 was due less to where they were made than the fact that it was acquired by a big corporation (Cadogan) that wasn't focused on turning out good product. I have no idea if that's true. I'd love to hear more about that history.

Chico

Also only have experience with older ones. I have 8 or 10 mostly Academy Award and Guildhall pots, well-loved by my dad. All with replacement stems, I think, and all smoke great - even if they're not that pretty anymore.

norniron

I have a Comoys rustic oom paul pipe that I bought in McGaheys of Exeter when I was over there
for a wedding in 2008. It has an old fashioned shape that I can imagine soldiers in the Boer Wars
using. Going by the date I purchased it, I assume that it was made in France, although there is nothing
stating that fact in the packaging, merely Comoys of London. A slip of paper in the box mentions
the Cadogan name as well as pipe brands such as Dr Plumb, BBB and others.
The pipe itself smokes well, although as mentioned previously, it does burn a bit hot. Unfortunately
I have never smoked a Comoys from the pre 1980 days and so cannot make a comparison.

DannoH

Vive le tabac.
Patron
I'm just wondering if anyone has any opinion/experience with the older Comoy pipes. Not the recent production ones. I'm talking pre-1980 and post-1980.

Pre was when they were still made in England and Post is when they moved to France. Are the French made ones extremely sub-par to the English made ones or are they still a pretty decent pipe?
I dunno how I missed this thread.

I can only speak to Comoys of English manufacture, but I have had several ranging from the 30s-60s (and still have a few), and they were and are fine examples of Brit pipemaking from the time. Comoys didn't crank out piles of craggy Dunhill-style blasts or razor's edge straight grain pipes (although the Blue Riband and Specimen series could be quite spectacular) but their shapes are quintessential classics, in my book.

The pot below is a Deluxe Straight Grain and the bulldog is a Specimen Straight Grain. They are lifetime pipes for me.

Attachments

• PXL_20210908_193507169~2.jpg
    PXL_20210908_193507169~2.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 36

Danish

The older English Comoy's I have or have had, both pre- and even post Cadogan, were well designed and made with good attention to smallest detail, from rim to stem, being light with nice warm coloured briar and depending on grade, sometimes a spectacular grain and contrast. Often nicely flat bottomed as in the Tradition and Blue Riband below.
The newer French made ones only seem to have the name in common. Especially newer ones for sale, called Blue Riband. I don't know how the stem works are on the newer ones but I also doubt they are of the same class as the older English ones and to me, they now seem made to a lower price point, profiting on a once great pipe brand name.

IMG_20210908_222053__01.jpg20170806_174219290_iOS (1)~2.jpg

N80

If you can't question it, it isn't science.
Sales
I have a Comoy's pebble grain bent billiard that my wife got at a pipe shop in Charlotte maybe 8 or 10 years ago. Drilling is perfect. Fit is perfect. Bit and button were fair but are now very good since I modified them. Finish is good. Briar quality is good. It smokes very well. No gurgling. She paid well under $100 for it and at the price point I consider it one of my better pipes (but I am not a collector, don't have a lot of pipes and only have one really 'nice' pipe.)

TrubkaJoe

I'd really like to want to help you with that.
Sales
I dunno how I missed this thread.

I can only speak to Comoys of English manufacture, but I have had several ranging from the 30s-60s (and still have a few), and they were and are fine examples of Brit pipemaking from the time. Comoys didn't crank out piles of craggy Dunhill-style blasts or razor's edge straight grain pipes (although the Blue Riband and Specimen series could be quite spectacular) but their shapes are quintessential classics, in my book.

The pot below is a Deluxe Straight Grain and the bulldog is a Specimen Straight Grain. They are lifetime pipes for me.
That pot is just completely ridiculous. Clearly made by an alien civilization far more advanced than our own.

Green Drake

Patron
I have oneComoys pipe, purchased as new old stock from McCrainies many years ago. It’s a great pipe, although I have kinda forgotten about it until now. I’m going to have to dig it out, it’s a Lakeland pipe and I’ve go some rum flake inbound…

Top Bottom