complaints about price increases

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokeRings

Patron
We got one of those free-standing office water coolers for our kitchen last year. Both of us agree that was *the* best purchase of 2019. Just have to run down to the machine outside the drug store every 2 weeks to refill 5 bottles @ $2/ea, other than that it's cold very pure water or very hot tea-steeping temp. Water cooler life is great. MUCH better flavor/ease/cost than Brita/Pur pitcher and faucet filters we used before.
As an added benefit you don't even have to go to work to congregate around the water cooler and talk sports...

Having drinkable tap water is not a choice for some.
For them, if the water coming out of the tap smells of chlorine and tastes like chemicals, the intelligent choice is to find alternatives.
The scary thing is, I used to work at a freshwater treatment plant, and we did smell and taste tests to see how much (in this case) chlorine (opposed to chloramines) you could taste and smell in the water. If other metropolitan fresh water plants are doing this (which they should be) they must some really carpy senses of smell and taste.....

blackmouth210

Patron
The scary thing is, I used to work at a freshwater treatment plant, and we did smell and taste tests to see how much (in this case) chlorine (opposed to chloramines) you could taste and smell in the water. If other metropolitan fresh water plants are doing this (which they should be) they must some really carpy senses of smell and taste.....
Very good point.
Locally, if you stand by the sink as you are filling a pitcher or large pot with tap water, you can smell the chlorine quite noticeably.

Very good point.
Locally, if you stand by the sink as you are filling a pitcher or large pot with tap water, you can smell the chlorine quite noticeably.
I don't mean to get political. I live in a place where water sources are both good and protected from contamination. The plant may buffer the pH slightly and add a little chlorine in springtime, if necessary, when surface run off brings some bacteria into it.
I do not know the details of your areas which of course vary widely. My point was (is) for example Flint where Nestlé apparently can get water that is good enough to pour on bottles for sale but residents have to buy their(?) water back to drink.
Then one wonders why the need for so much chlorine?

JRobert

Nuclear Moderator
Staff member
I do not know the details of your areas which of course vary widely.
Exactly this. Some places in the US get their water from rivers or lakes that have varying levels of pollution, and this water often requires extensive treatment before the water is drinkable. In addition, some places have very old or defective water treatment plants and/or supply lines.

This is not really an appropriate topic of discussion on a pipe smoking forum, and especially not in a topic devoted to complaining about tobacco price increases. So let's not go there please.

I get it. That being said, 10 minutes on the inter web and you know the score with this stuff. There have been exactly five different threads on tobacco availability since 2005, with maybe 12 different responses.
I understand that the point of forums is to regurgitate blah blah ad nauseam, and I guess everyone has to have a go.
I am now returning to my cave to stare at the shadows on the wall.
I dig that Platonic allusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.