Cornell & Diehl: Best in Class?

Baccy Bert

In this time of illness and lockdown I seek no 'pocket full of posies' (Lakeland sauce) in my pipe. I need the toasty nutty comfort only burley can provide.

This year and beyond I want to try as many C&D blends as I can.

I have only tried a handful of their blends:
• Haunted Bookshop (an all time favourite)
• Pegasus
• Autumn Evening
• Pennington Gap
• Bob Bushman

But being a burley fanatic it is time to delve deeper into the catalogue. With 324 blends listed on tobaccoreviews, it would be easy to pick the blends with the most reviews. I'd rather consult with my American brethren on PSD to get the scoop on which blends will delight an uninitiated Irishman. Cheers!

headrott

If you have tried Pegasus, you have tried one of (if not, the) best, IMO. I have certainly not tried all of C&D’s blends, but of all I have tried (tried all that @Fr_Tom posted) I would say Pegasus (especially with a year plus age on it) is phenomenal.
another one you might try is Lunchtime Blues, which is a burley with Virginia and orientals, if I remember correctly, is a great toasty burley blend. It has Virginia’s and oriental backyard, but to my tastes, the burley stands far and away out above the others. Give it a try.

JRobert

Nuclear Moderator
Staff member
If you like Haunted Bookshop and Pegasus, you might like Old Joe Krantz and Morley's Best (both Bob Runowski blends, like Pegasus and HB). Fr Tom already mentioned Three Friars and Big n' Burley. If you want a little Latakia with your burley, I'd recommend Bailey's Front Porch and Epiphany (both Runowski blends) or any of the C&D "dirty english" blends mentioned in this thread: https://pipesmokersdens.com/threads/dirty-english.2692/

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Crooner is something practically unique to C&D. An American-style Burley-centric blend that still hangs on to Deertongue as an ingredient.

Deertongue was a component of a lot of classic mixtures (Carter Hall, Prince Albert, Half and Half) but it is too hard to procure for the big blenders to use it anymore.

Fusion

If you like Haunted Bookshop and Pegasus, you might like Old Joe Krantz and Morley's Best (both Bob Runowski blends, like Pegasus and HB). Fr Tom already mentioned Three Friars and Big n' Burley. If you want a little Latakia with your burley, I'd recommend Bailey's Front Porch and Epiphany (both Runowski blends) or any of the C&D "dirty english" blends mentioned in this thread: https://pipesmokersdens.com/threads/dirty-english.2692/
This^^^ Im a big fan of Baileys Front Porch, Pegasus and Haunted Bookshop

SmokeRings

Patron
If you have tried Pegasus, you have tried one of (if not, the) best, IMO. I have certainly not tried all of C&D’s blends, but of all I have tried (tried all that @Fr_Tom posted) I would say Pegasus (especially with a year plus age on it) is phenomenal.
another one you might try is Lunchtime Blues, which is a burley with Virginia and orientals, if I remember correctly, is a great toasty burley blend. It has Virginia’s and oriental backyard, but to my tastes, the burley stands far and away out above the others. Give it a try.
Great point on Pegasus, it isn't really bad fresh, but after a bit of time under glass it is really, really good stuff