Crack in Mortise

Diff’rentSmokes

Patron
You can band that and it will be worth 2x the price you mentioned. Either way a steal in my book.
I love them. MakDragon sold me one on here and I’ve been hooked on them since. I’ve had a lot of luck finding them on eBay at relatively low prices, cleaning them up, and ending up with an exceptional and beautiful pipe. I got the one below for $78. It looked a little rough online and a little under the weather when I brought it home but now it’s one of my favorites.

Attachments

• IMG_0249.jpeg
    IMG_0249.jpeg
    125.1 KB · Views: 13

Diff’rentSmokes

Patron
I love them. MakDragon sold me one on here and I’ve been hooked on them since. I’ve had a lot of luck finding them on eBay at relatively low prices, cleaning them up, and ending up with an exceptional and beautiful pipe. I got the one below for $78. It looked a little rough online and a little under the weather when I brought it home but now it’s one of my favorites.
Not a great photo and it reveals that I need to do some more cleaning. I’ve smoked the heck out of it since rehabbing it. I need to rehab my rehab. It’s sure a sweet little smoker.

PipeVulutre

I've learned mostly by hands on trial & error. But this guy taught me alot about a level of quality. I don't have his tools or expertiese, but I can emulate his attention to detail and approach to an issue. PS. Does anyone know this guy. He talks extensivly on this issue.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWQlM1pWKqd5prZTdEDANZg
That guy is around but mostly elsewhere I think. I cant say his name.

Fr_Tom

PSD Chaplain
Sales
Old Ted Award
And how many years has that been working? Quite a few, if memory serves.

It has been a while. I know I had "fixed" it before the move, so it has been 5 years at least. I had another pipe - a scoop that was a standard tenon and not not the Grabow adjustomatic. I squirted some superglue in the crack and held it all together with a zip tie until the superglue "went off." That zip tie came off and it has all held nicely.

Arkie

Liquid supper glue in the crack and remove the stem afterwards so the crack closes. Let it dry well over night. A little bees wax on the tenon and gently test the fit tomorrow. Don't overly force it.
I'm not sure super glue would withstand the heat and steam from smoking. Epoxy might be a better choice but the excess glue would have to be carefully cleaned off before the epoxy cured.

Struck _ Match

I'm not sure super glue would withstand the heat and steam from smoking. Epoxy might be a better choice but the excess glue would have to be carefully cleaned off before the epoxy cured.
If there's that much heat and steam that far down the pipe, there's a bigger problem than that crack. 😄

I agree with you epoxy would be a good way to go. If the crack worsens in the future and definitely requires a band, epoxy is surely the way to go.

Arkie

If there's that much heat and steam that far down the pipe, there's a bigger problem than that crack. 😄

I agree with you epoxy would be a good way to go. If the crack worsens in the future and definitely requires a band, epoxy is surely the way to go.
It's more a matter of the moisture. The only way to pull things apart that have been inadvertently glued with superglue is to use steam or very hot water.

Diff’rentSmokes

Patron
I am happy to report that my leather dyes came in today. I thought a nice English tan would be appropriate. It continues to lighten as it dries. I was concerned that there would be some discoloration or darkening in the area of the repair, but so far so good.

Attachments

• IMG_0285.jpeg
    IMG_0285.jpeg
    66.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0284.jpeg
    IMG_0284.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 8

Diff’rentSmokes

Patron
And, now some wax and obsidian oil and voila. If I get really froggy, I might try to work on a small bit of chatter on the stem, For now, I think I’ll just fire her up and enjoy her. A bit improved from the charred, smelly, goopy, dull mess that arrived in the mail. I’ll keep an eye on that repair and at the first sign of distress, I’ll send her out for a nice band.

Attachments

• IMG_0312.jpeg
    IMG_0312.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_0313.jpeg
    IMG_0313.jpeg
    179.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0314.jpeg
    IMG_0314.jpeg
    176.8 KB · Views: 14
Top Bottom