What's new

cracked cake?.

Kiowapipe

Needs to think of a clever custom title
Patron
I think you're probably fine. Sometimes you see that inside old briar bowls- not exactly a deep crack, almost like teeny termite trails in the surface. Some folks may recommend pipe mud; I'd probably just smoke it as normal. I tend to let a little more cake build up in my pipes, but that's just me.

And at any rate, if it is about to explode, there's probably nothing you can do anyway 😁

I suggest you load it up with some Paladin and keep enjoying it.

craig

I think you're probably fine. Sometimes you see that inside old briar bowls- not exactly a deep crack, almost like teeny termite trails in the surface. Some folks may recommend pipe mud; I'd probably just smoke it as normal. I tend to let a little more cake build up in my pipes, but that's just me.

And at any rate, if it is about to explode, there's probably nothing you can do anyway 😁

I suggest you load it up with some Paladin and keep enjoying it.
very true.
no no no paladin isn't going anywhere near my briars as I suspect that the ghost of that will be very loud and very assertive and nigh on impossible to exorcise unless I have a priest and holy water.
paladin is for my cobs only, I think it's probably better that way.
this pipe is my rich dark honeydew pipe....smokes it like a charm....apart from the termite trails as you put it.

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
Just my two cents:

I have restored a lot of old guy's "favorite" pipes.

Yes a person can smoke 10 bowls of Captain Black every day in the same pipe for many years without ever really taking care of it... and then send it to me.

Here's what I'm gonna find-
Under a half inch of cake there will be a zone of permanently wet and somewhat gooey ooze that has been breaking down the chamber walls for decades, unseen. Beneath that it will look like a bunch of drunken Irish coal miners have been at work with torches and pickaxes- black and cracked with entire chunks seemingly smoked away. Also the entire chamber will be out of round (I can tell where you light your pipe) and the bottom of the chamber will be hollowed out.

So I'll either sand it back some or do a bowl coating (or both) and send the pipe back. Said old guy will be thrilled with the result and will commence doing exaclty what they've always done - hammering the Carp out of their beloved pipe in a way that makes me cringe.

But I've never heard one of them tell me the damn thing blew up.

Of course I have had to tell people their pipe was a Dead Parrot- but those stories are too sad to be printed

Last edited:

craig

Just my two cents:

I have restored a lot of old guy's "favorite" pipes.

Yes a person can smoke 10 bowls of Captain Black every day in the same pipe for many years without ever really taking care of it... and then send it to me.

Here's what I'm gonna find-
Under a half inch of cake there will be a zone of permanently wet and somewhat gooey ooze that has been breaking down the chamber walls for decades, unseen. Beneath that it will look like a bunch of drunken Irish coal miners have been at work with torches and pickaxes- black and cracked with entire chunks seemingly smoked away. Also the entire chamber will be out of round (I can tell where you light your pipe) and the bottom of the chamber will be hollowed out.

So I'll either sand it back some or do a bowl coating (or both) and send the pipe back. Said old guy will be thrilled with the result and will commence doing exaclty what they've always done - hammering the Carp out of their beloved pipe in a way that makes me cringe.

But I've never heard one of them tell me the damn thing blew up.

Of course I have had to tell people their pipe was a Dead Parrot- but those stories are too sad to be printed
well I don't think my pipe is that extreme, but I'm glad to hear that there will be lots of life ahead for this pipe.