What's new

craigs look at amphora full aroma.

craig

Amphora is one of them tobaccos that has been around almost as long as time itself.
First being made by douwe egbert (yes the coffee guy), when that got bought out by sara lee (yes that's the cake lady) they then sold that to imperial tobacco who then sold it to mac baren.
I know a lot of people have said that the modern incarnation is nothing like the amphora of old but I have never tried it, and will be reviewing the modern mac baren version purely on its own merit.

So what is it actually like.

personally I really enjoy this mixture, it's got enough tobacco taste to satisfy but just enough aromatic addition to catch the curiosity.

when you open the pouch you are greeted to a mix of ribbons and chunky pieces of broken flake, predominantly chocolate brown with some darker leaf, which oozes a lovely cocoa, raspberry, citrus and just ever so slight vanilla undertone.

the moisture is perfect out of the pouch and loading and lighting are a breeze.

lighting up the aromatic additions transfer well to the smoke with just a hint of floral addition, there is just a touch of Virginia citrus and burley cocoa with a slight oriental twang.

strength wise this should be easily comfortable for most, it's just a very pleasant all day kind of smoke, it does have some complexities but it doesn't batter your brain trying to work out what they are.
amphora has one of the rare qualities of being the type of tobacco that is suitable for both sitting down and contemplating or having it going while you do something else.

couple of drawbacks.

although this is an aromatic it isn't as forgiven as an American style aromatic, rush this at your peril as it will bite if chugged.

don't let this dry out too much again as it will bite.

room note shouldn't cause you too much hassle, I have had mixed reviews on it but mostly positive.

but all in all this is a very good smoke, in fact it is one that I have kept around for about 5 years.
well worth a shot if you can it.

20181105_110326.jpg 20181105_110358.jpg

Ozark Wizard

I like it too! It's a great morning smoke on colder days, but also a great walkabout smoke any time of day, or year. I've had at it for many years, so probably smoked many iterations of it, and really haven't noticed much change in behavior or flavor, though I wasn't really looking for it. It also doesn't seem to ghost much, if at all.

Nice review!

craig

I like it too! It's a great morning smoke on colder days, but also a great walkabout smoke any time of day, or year. I've had at it for many years, so probably smoked many iterations of it, and really haven't noticed much change in behavior or flavor, though I wasn't really looking for it. It also doesn't seem to ghost much, if at all.

Nice review!
I have tried the imperial version and the transition from Holland to mac baren in Denmark was seamless, no change in flavour at all, in fact I think it got better as mac baren tobacco is much better quality.

As regards to ghosting, it leaves it's flavour but it is easily removed, but when you dedicate a pipe to it, it really shines.

PipeHaze

I was torn between trying this one or the phora Original. I went with the Original for the first go, but after trying that I work be glad to to try the Full Aroma. I bet it has some similar qualities. I have enjoyed the Original, nice mellow but satisfying blend. Has anyone had the Amphora Virginia?

craig

I recall the former Red Blend of Amphora and after reading these posts I might get some of it to see how it is. Thanks for the updates about Amphora.
out of all the tobaccos I have tried it is only amphora that has remained a true constant with me....at first I wasn't keen, tbh as I found it bitey and was gunna toss it, but something told me to stick with it and I'm glad I did.

curiously though it is only the last year or so that it made it's way back to England, while it was being made by imperial it wasn't available, so mine was sourced from Europe....and still is.