What's new

craigs look at paladin black cherry.

craig

20190108_204146.jpg
An American classic (depending on who you speak with) that needs no introduction, famous for its longstanding position within the pipe smoking community of America and infamous for the bite it can deliver.

Cherry aros generally get quite a bad rap, on a personal note every time I see a new cherry ago introduced part of me groans because of the already saturated market of them, done well a cherry ago can be a joy to smoke and one you wish to make repeated bowls of, done badly then it is just a Labour from start to finish and a substantial waste of ones time.
so what are my thoughts of paladin, actually I find it quite a nice smoke.
I still can't quite get my head around the American style otc cut though, it always looks like dust to me but on closer inspection it resembles a lightly rubbed out cube cut.

moisture is fine and needs no drying time and packs easily into the well used and abused cob you see above and once lit it produces plumes upon plumes of heavy cherry scented smoke.
it is not a complex smoke by any means, the cherry is always there but I get some nice nutty sweetness from the burley from time to time, strength is a good middle of the road one, granted there is a little there but it should never overwhelm and should keep you going for repeated bowls but if you aren't very sweet toothed the cherry flavour may weary you.
I think the cherry is done well, I don't find it akin to cough syrup or chemical like, I wouldn't say it's the finest morello cherry juice, but it certainly doesn't seem artificial, if you really want to know what artificial cherry tastes like try borkum riff cherry (abysmally horrid).
all in all I actually quite enjoy paladin black cherry, it certainly wouldn't push any of my favourites off it's perch but for a change of pace, a quick livener or the time when I want to smoke but not think too much about it, paladin makes a nice choice.

View attachment 21846
An American classic (depending on who you speak with) that needs no introduction, famous for its longstanding position within the pipe smoking community of America and infamous for the bite it can deliver.

Cherry aros generally get quite a bad rap, on a personal note every time I see a new cherry ago introduced part of me groans because of the already saturated market of them, done well a cherry ago can be a joy to smoke and one you wish to make repeated bowls of, done badly then it is just a Labour from start to finish and a substantial waste of ones time.
so what are my thoughts of paladin, actually I find it quite a nice smoke.
I still can't quite get my head around the American style otc cut though, it always looks like dust to me but on closer inspection it resembles a lightly rubbed out cube cut.

moisture is fine and needs no drying time and packs easily into the well used and abused cob you see above and once lit it produces plumes upon plumes of heavy cherry scented smoke.
it is not a complex smoke by any means, the cherry is always there but I get some nice nutty sweetness from the burley from time to time, strength is a good middle of the road one, granted there is a little there but it should never overwhelm and should keep you going for repeated bowls but if you aren't very sweet toothed the cherry flavour may weary you.
I think the cherry is done well, I don't find it akin to cough syrup or chemical like, I wouldn't say it's the finest morello cherry juice, but it certainly doesn't seem artificial, if you really want to know what artificial cherry tastes like try borkum riff cherry (abysmally horrid).
all in all I actually quite enjoy paladin black cherry, it certainly wouldn't push any of my favourites off it's perch but for a change of pace, a quick livener or the time when I want to smoke but not think too much about it, paladin makes a nice choice.
I enjoy Paladin Black Cherry. It isn't the same goopy, overly flavored blend from years ago.