What's new

craigs look at prince albert.

craig

recently a friend from the pub has been over in America and he decided to bring me some pipe tobacco back, namely Prince Albert, I have had a good few smokes of it and decided to give it my assessment.

out of the pouch I get nutty burley and chocolate notes, moisture is just right, to scoop into a cob and spark up with a coffee in hand.

I do find it a decent smoke, no complexity whatsoever what you get at the start is what you get at the end and that is just burley goodness from start to finish.

burn rate is quite fast even when I have packed it tighter than normal, I do find the cob heats up if I overdo it but Interestingly no tongue bite.

so what do I actually think of the Prince.
all in all a decent smoke and one I'm happy to have tried, it certainly doesn't set my world alight, it's the type of tobacco I would class as a "livener" , one I smoke when I just want a bowl of no fuss, no complexity tobacco.
I certainly wouldn't smoke this exclusively, (if I had to choose between this and Carter hall in that respect, Carter hall would win hands Down) in all honesty I think if I smoked this exclusively it would bore rather quickly, but as a once in a while smoke I can live with this.

strength I found quite surprising, it has a good bit of oomph behind it but won't overwhelm, and room note is liveable, but it may raise an eyebrow between none smoking companions.

I guess I am just used to my tobaccos which smell and taste like a cross between a raging inferno at a florists and grandma's knicker drawer with a slight hint of mothball. but as a look at the simplest of simple tobaccos this one does a very good job.

I would say 3 stars out of 5, deffinitely one to try if you get the chance and like something good and simple.

(supposedly my friend has also got a pouch of paladin black cherry, given I used to smoke cherry tobaccos back when I first started this one will be interesting to try.
I can hear the screams now of "you heathen limey barstad!!!!" if I find I like the paladin more than the Prince.....stay tuned.)

Coda

Nice review. PA is great for when you just want to smoke a pipe while doing anything. Your review was apt. For me, I smoke it all day/everyday, and it doesn’t bore...though I to partake of some G&H offerings at least once a day...

You should try Mixture #79...

craig

Nice review. PA is great for when you just want to smoke a pipe while doing anything. Your review was apt. For me, I smoke it all day/everyday, and it doesn’t bore...though I to partake of some G&H offerings at least once a day...

You should try Mixture #79...
thanks coda.

yes mixture 79 has been on my list for a while, someday maybe.

recently a friend from the pub has been over in America and he decided to bring me some pipe tobacco back, namely Prince Albert, I have had a good few smokes of it and decided to give it my assessment.

out of the pouch I get nutty burley and chocolate notes, moisture is just right, to scoop into a cob and spark up with a coffee in hand.

I do find it a decent smoke, no complexity whatsoever what you get at the start is what you get at the end and that is just burley goodness from start to finish.

burn rate is quite fast even when I have packed it tighter than normal, I do find the cob heats up if I overdo it but Interestingly no tongue bite.

so what do I actually think of the Prince.
all in all a decent smoke and one I'm happy to have tried, it certainly doesn't set my world alight, it's the type of tobacco I would class as a "livener" , one I smoke when I just want a bowl of no fuss, no complexity tobacco.
I certainly wouldn't smoke this exclusively, (if I had to choose between this and Carter hall in that respect, Carter hall would win hands Down) in all honesty I think if I smoked this exclusively it would bore rather quickly, but as a once in a while smoke I can live with this.

strength I found quite surprising, it has a good bit of oomph behind it but won't overwhelm, and room note is liveable, but it may raise an eyebrow between none smoking companions.

I guess I am just used to my tobaccos which smell and taste like a cross between a raging inferno at a florists and grandma's knicker drawer with a slight hint of mothball. but as a look at the simplest of simple tobaccos this one does a very good job.

I would say 3 stars out of 5, deffinitely one to try if you get the chance and like something good and simple.

(supposedly my friend has also got a pouch of paladin black cherry, given I used to smoke cherry tobaccos back when I first started this one will be interesting to try.
I can hear the screams now of "you heathen limey barstad!!!!" if I find I like the paladin more than the Prince.....stay tuned.)
I like Prince Albert, Carter Hall, and Paladin Black Cherry. All are simple blends I smoke a lot of.

Kiowapipe

I think your review was quite accurate. PA is nothing fancy, nothing complicated, nothing nuanced. Just a pretty decent, mild burley flavor, and the easiest-smoking leaf you could ever hope to find. It burns quick and stays lit, no matter how you pack it, and it refuses to bite. Easy, one-dimensional, adequate.

I *highly* suggest trying PA mixed in with other blends, though, particularly VAs and VA/Pers. It's a match made in heaven. I know some folks don't like mixing, but PA is a can't miss complement that will tame and take the edge off other tobaccos.

PA and a straight VA in a cob... Pipe paradise for KP 😃

SmokeRings

I smoke a good bit of PA...not a particular favorite, but it's easily obtained all over the country, inexpensive, and about as impossible to mess up as any tobacco I've ever smoked. Interesting that you get the same flavor at the end of a bowl as the beginning, I find that once the topping burns off it gets a tad chemically, nothing loud, but if you pay much attention to it it's there, CH does it too, I think it might be a Middleton's thing, neither of them are likely to supplant SWR in my rotation, but they are still very nice smokes in the OTC category and doubly so with price and availability added in

Nice review of a classic old codger OTC icon. I also agree with you that Carter Hall is better blend. But they both work wonders in a good Cob with a quality cup of Joe. Definitely shine in the AM.

craig

now I have had a few more bowls and packed slightly tighter in a cob in finding I am taking a liking to it more.
for the times when you want an enjoyable smoke without having to think about it the Prince is a good option.
I still maintain that I prefer Carter hall but the Prince is still a good smoke none the less and it's one that if I wanted a smoke and it was all that was available I would be happy to have it.

mdromero

I like Carter Hall also, it just gets boring after a couple bowls. Prince Albert I can smoke everyday, all day. It just clicks with me better than Carter Hall for some reason, Carter Hall and Cherry Blend are a change of pace smoke for me, but since I came across some Prince Albert Cherry Vanilla yesterday, it may replace Cherry Blend in my rotation.

craig

I like Carter Hall also, it just gets boring after a couple bowls. Prince Albert I can smoke everyday, all day. It just clicks with me better than Carter Hall for some reason, Carter Hall and Cherry Blend are a change of pace smoke for me, but since I came across some Prince Albert Cherry Vanilla yesterday, it may replace Cherry Blend in my rotation.
as the saying goes....smoke what you like.