What's new

craigs look at revor plug.

craig

20181109_143905.jpg
revor plug is one of them classic English tobaccos that seems to have been around since the dawn of time.

I remember as a child this being an otc in my local co-op (it was first made for the co-op), it is one of them tobaccos I have always wanted to try but something else got there first, anyways I finally snagged a pouch last week.
opening the pouch, you are greeted by a very classic tobacco aroma, there's some citrus from the Virginia but the big hitter is the aroma from the Kentucky, an almost sour Smokey esspresso like aroma hits the nostrils with just a faint hint of sweetness.

preparing the plug is easy, I shave fine cuttings off the block and stuff into a cob, now here a debate rages, to dry or not to dry, I have tried both ways and although there is no difference in flavour it is easier to get lit, but in either method once it catches it stays lit.

so smoking wise first thing that greets me pallet is latakia, now the debate will rage on forever whether it does or doesn't contain the stuff, my opinion, is it is just the woods that is used to fire the Kentucky.
That is the main player in this one, the Kentucky, it starts off with that latakia like note and a lovely faint sweetness along with very dark chocolate and nutty notes.

the Virginia adds it's own little dimension in the form of a touch of grass and damp hay.

As said earlier once this catches it generally stays lit with very few relights required.

towards the bottom of the bottom of bowl the Kentucky intensifies and dark chocolate and esspresso abound, this is fabulous stuff with one heck of a nicotine punch.
which brings me on nicely to the strength, this is strong! if you think 1792 is strong, you ain't seen nothing yet, this is a baccy to respect when it comes to nicotine and unless you are highly tolerant to the stuff I wouldn't recommend this in a big bowl. in this case less very much is more.

room note, this is certainly not going to win you any friends, it produces plumes of thick dense, heavy classic tobacco smelling smoke, there is no aromatic additions to this, just pure unadulterated tobacco, unless you have very understanding spouse or company this is best saved for outside....yeah the force is strong with this one.

All in all revor is a fantastic introduction to British tobacco at its finest and most unadulterated, it will put hairs on your chest and will slap you about if you do t show it some respect, but treat it gently and savour like a fine malt, and you have a very fine smoke that will give smoking pleasure in spades, yes it is strong, the room note is heavy, but it doesn't bite or get harsh or leave a load of gunk at the bottom of the bowl.

this is the stuff that was right at home decades ago but still shines bright in today's modern world, it may not have the legendary status of esoterica but it can stand proud up there at the top.

deffinitely worth a try but not for all day every day smoking, no revor is for the times when you have had a long day and just want to be treat to a simple tobacco that will relax and enjoy.

mighty fine stuff and well worth a shot if you can get it.

craig

Nice review. I grabbed a few pouches when I was in Edinburgh last month. Haven't got around to trying it yet, since I only keep a few tins/jars open at once, but I'll be moving it up on my smokes to do list.
it is mighty fine stuff, and I think it is one of them tobaccos that should be tried at least once.

I know a lot of tobaccos have hype and hysteria behind them, 99% don't deserve it but revor along with a couple of select others deserve it whole heartedly.

craig

Revor is fantastic. I still swear there's latakia in it.
I get strong lat taste, but something tells me it is just the woods that are used to fire the burley, the thing that tells me that it isn't latakia, is that the flavour comes and goes, if that was true latakia then it wouldn't come and go because it is a potent leaf....only way we are going to know for sure is if gawith and hoggarth released the recipe....

Tsal

Jersey Jerk
I get strong lat taste, but something tells me it is just the woods that are used to fire the burley, the thing that tells me that it isn't latakia, is that the flavour comes and goes, if that was true latakia then it wouldn't come and go because it is a potent leaf....only way we are going to know for sure is if gawith and hoggarth released the recipe....
I will be emailing G.H at some point today. Standby...