What's new

Crazy eBayers

JAK

In the past week I have had two individuals ask me to pull and hold the same pipe until they have enough money to purchase it. Neither are social media friends or prior customers. Anyone else experience this? If I know someone I will absolutely work with them. I just wondered if this has happened to anyone else. My initial thought is if money is that tight maybe this item isn't for you. I know most everyone in the pipe community is a stand up guy or gal but things come up.

craig

In the past week I have had two individuals ask me to pull and hold the same pipe until they have enough money to purchase it. Neither are social media friends or prior customers. Anyone else experience this? If I know someone I will absolutely work with them. I just wondered if this has happened to anyone else. My initial thought is if money is that tight maybe this item isn't for you. I know most everyone in the pipe community is a stand up guy or gal but things come up.
my other half sells quite a bit on eBay, nothing pipe related but when she foes auctions she puts on an option where people can put offers in, she always accepts a fair price but some of the offers she gets are a bit eyebrow raising at best and down right ludicrous and laughable at absolute worst.
I think some people think because you sell on eBay you will take anything that's offered sorry but although eBay isn't our primary source of income we would still like a fair price for what we sell.

BubbaBriar

Good timing on this subject as I've been at it off and on all day with a buyer on eBay. Older fella so I'm trying to take it easy on him..sold an original sales brochure to an old Ford Cortina. Well, to protect the brochure and to add a little extra bonus to my buyers I put the original brochures inside a random nice classic car magazine. This buyer keeps contacting me saying it's not original because it came in a new magazine as a freebie with the magazine! I've tried and tried to explain to him to no avail. Just throwing my hands up on this one. I'm not a big seller anyways, I'll just have to eat negative feedback. Ridiculous really.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

my other half sells quite a bit on eBay, nothing pipe related but when she foes auctions she puts on an option where people can put offers in, she always accepts a fair price but some of the offers she gets are a bit eyebrow raising at best and down right ludicrous and laughable at absolute worst.
I think some people think because you sell on eBay you will take anything that's offered sorry but although eBay isn't our primary source of income we would still like a fair price for what we sell.
The "offer" button is for people who don't actually understand how eBay works.

Folks who list things with a fantasy price for "buy it now," a minimum bid that's 90% as much, but would actually be willing to haggle if someone came along.

Think of it as the "haggle" button. Of course the first offer is a lowball. Every time. Because the seller never accepts the first offer :)

Sentient.

Nearly lifelike.
Patron
"Mintness" does not admit of degrees. It's a yes or no property which describes whether a product has been changed in any way since the date of manufacture. Something cannot be "very mint", "sorta mint", "57% mint", etc. It's either mint or it ain't.
The same applies to 'unique'. Something cannot be 'very unique'. It either is or isn't unique and the word cannot be qualified.

Adam Bybee

Sales
Ever seen the pipe listings from a guy named Pipehub? He has 9 total transactions. I began watching his stuff around 3 years ago and back then he had 6 transactions. He has made 3 sales in all these years. His prices are a joke. I don't understand why he even bothers.
Pipehub is also a website that sells high grade pipes. It's run by a guy who is a pipe collector in California. It looks like he just cross posts his stuff on Ebay to broaden his market.

https://www.pipehub.com/scott-klein...freehand-pipe-with-boxwood/products/view/1421
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PIPEHUB-Sc...069207?hash=item3aebf90717:g:eHsAAOSwh6dbdiAb

JAK

I may be a sucker. I sometimes take those first offers if it is reasonable. I try to base my prices off of smokingpipes and other online retailers that sell estate pipes as well as current ebay prices. With pipes it can be difficult sometimes. I am almost always willing to discount and more so if I know someone, they are a repeat customer, or a social media acquaintance. I just put the money back into more estate pipes and supplies. We all like a good deal. I don't get upset with low ball offers but usually the offers are fair. When I buy I always look to see if the person sells pipes or if they are an estate reseller or such. If they have knowledge in pipes I am not going to try to hit them with a low offer. If they don't know pipes I might try to get a feel for what they would accept and consider fair.

Ebay has its ups and downs. I've been super lucky but I have also missed out on a lot. There will be more listings though. I have dry runs where I can't score anything. It gets frustrating like today when I saw a lot of 15 or so estate pipes with bidding exceeding $250 with 4 days left. There wasn't a single pipe in the lot that would sell for new over $20. Just shakes my head but I guess its value is in the bidder's eyes. That stuff kills me especially when I list a mint Dunhill with a low starting bid and I can't break the $100 mark from my bidders. Drives me crazy. I practically gave away 6 Dunhills last year doing the auction thing. All lessons learned.

Ozark Wizard

I've been on both ends, so I'm patient with anyone reaching up, as I find myself reaching up myself sometimes! It helps if there's already a relationship established. But then, I don't judge a new aquaintence by past bad experiences. I guess it's like credit cards. No one would have one if the banks judged folks by bankruptcies of others.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ebay has its ups and downs. I've been super lucky but I have also missed out on a lot. There will be more listings though. I have dry runs where I can't score anything. It gets frustrating like today when I saw a lot of 15 or so estate pipes with bidding exceeding $250 with 4 days left. There wasn't a single pipe in the lot that would sell for new over $20. Just shakes my head but I guess its value is in the bidder's eyes. That stuff kills me especially when I list a mint Dunhill with a low starting bid and I can't break the $100 mark from my bidders. Drives me crazy. I practically gave away 6 Dunhills last year doing the auction thing. All lessons learned.
If your Dunhill didn't break $100, maybe it wasn't worth more than $100. (e.g. Group 1 and Group 2 pipes don't tend to fare well on eBay. Repair bands are a kiss of death.)

(Or maybe your photos / description were unusually bad.)

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I've been on both ends, so I'm patient with anyone reaching up, as I find myself reaching up myself sometimes! It helps if there's already a relationship established. But then, I don't judge a new aquaintence by past bad experiences. I guess it's like credit cards. No one would have one if the banks judged folks by bankruptcies of others.
To be fair, layaway, merely holding a pipe for a fellow who is trying to purchase it, doesn't present quite the same risks as extending credit.

JAK

If your Dunhill didn't break $100, maybe it wasn't worth more than $100. (e.g. Group 1 and Group 2 pipes don't tend to fare well on eBay. Repair bands are a kiss of death.)

(Or maybe your photos / description were unusually bad.)
All were group 4 with 12 crisp clear pics and no repairs or damage. Same guy bought them all under $100 each at auction. These things were super clean and the similar pipes at buy it now were $250 to $500 both on ebay and online vendors. I just expected them to do a little better. You never know. It's a risk with an auction. I love getting stuff cheap myself but it sucks when you are the seller. That's why I rarely ever post a true auction anymore.

JAK

I am all for working with someone if there is something established and I totally see your point. I just can't justify pulling something with a bunch of people watching for the promises of a person I don't know. Things come up. Guy has good intentions and the next day he has 4 flat tires. Priorities take his spending money. Hey things happened but I cut off 9 other potential customers. I don't know. I guess it would be a case by case basis. Just never had anyone ask before and then I get the same request within a couple days.

Hmmm, ebay layaway could have some potential. Wonder if they thought of that? Put down a nonrefundable deposit with a set date to pay off. You may be onto something there.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

All were group 4 with 12 crisp clear pics and no repairs or damage. Same guy bought them all under $100 each at auction. These things were super clean and the similar pipes at buy it now were $250 to $500 both on ebay and online vendors. I just expected them to do a little better. You never know. It's a risk with an auction. I love getting stuff cheap myself but it sucks when you are the seller. That's why I rarely ever post a true auction anymore.
Yeah, this doesn't add up, man.

Group 4 Dunhills don't go for <$100 unless something is wrong with the listing -- bad condition, bad photos, wrong category, etc.

JAK

Yeah, this doesn't add up, man.

Group 4 Dunhills don't go for <$100 unless something is wrong with the listing -- bad condition, bad photos, wrong category, etc.
I took a huge bath on them but it wasn't anything I did wrong. None of those conditions existed. I can't stand blurry pics and I write a lot of detail. No repair bands and one of them was smoked maybe once or twice. I chalked it up to bad time of year or ending it at the wrong time or on the wrong day of the week. According to one of my estate pipe buddies there is a magical formula for ending times and the best days to end on.

JAK

I don't have the pics of them on this phone but here are two I pulled from a chat message I had about them with a fellow estate restorer. We bounce stuff back and forth to help each other sometimes with identification and pricing. The first pic was an ODA and a similar one with the exact same markings and shape sold for almost $500 around the same time. I do pics all the way around and zoom in on the stampings and stems. I usually have 10 to 12 pics posted. Anyways that was last year or the year before when I sold them all. I have managed to score some expensive high end pipes very cheaply off ebay myself. Not so bad when you are on the other end as a buyer. received_10215423337007065.jpeg received_10215422948837361.jpeg

MakDragon

Former PSF Wizard
Sales
Patron
Good timing on this subject as I've been at it off and on all day with a buyer on eBay. Older fella so I'm trying to take it easy on him..sold an original sales brochure to an old Ford Cortina. Well, to protect the brochure and to add a little extra bonus to my buyers I put the original brochures inside a random nice classic car magazine. This buyer keeps contacting me saying it's not original because it came in a new magazine as a freebie with the magazine! I've tried and tried to explain to him to no avail. Just throwing my hands up on this one. I'm not a big seller anyways, I'll just have to eat negative feedback. Ridiculous really.
This is why selling my pipes on eBay scares me.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't have the pics of them on this phone but here are two I pulled from a chat message I had about them with a fellow estate restorer. We bounce stuff back and forth to help each other sometimes with identification and pricing. The first pic was an ODA and a similar one with the exact same markings and shape sold for almost $500 around the same time. I do pics all the way around and zoom in on the stampings and stems. I usually have 10 to 12 pics posted. Anyways that was last year or the year before when I sold them all. I have managed to score some expensive high end pipes very cheaply off ebay myself. Not so bad when you are on the other end as a buyer. View attachment 26663 View attachment 26664
For these two pipes, the photos alone would explain a poor price. Both the pipes you posted are sandblasts, and both have out-of-focus photos.

An out of focus sandblast, on ebay, is a sandblast that's been buffed to death, and a seller wishes to hide it. I assume that's not true for you, but you're still going to earn the price that the most malicious, twisted, deliberately-blurry seller would have got.

A good photo vs a bad photo can halve the sale price on an item.

blackmouth210

For these two pipes, the photos alone would explain a poor price. Both the pipes you posted are sandblasts, and both have out-of-focus photos.

An out of focus sandblast, on ebay, is a sandblast that's been buffed to death, and a seller wishes to hide it. I assume that's not true for you, but you're still going to earn the price that the most malicious, twisted, deliberately-blurry seller would have got.

A good photo vs a bad photo can halve the sale price on an item.
I don't think those are the Ebay photos.
Reading his post I think those are just pics from his chat with someone about the pipes. I think he also stated the photos he posts on Ebay more thoroughly show the pipe details.