What's new

Crazy eBayers

cigrmaster

Pipehub is also a website that sells high grade pipes. It's run by a guy who is a pipe collector in California. It looks like he just cross posts his stuff on Ebay to broaden his market.

https://www.pipehub.com/scott-klein...freehand-pipe-with-boxwood/products/view/1421
https://www.ebay.com/itm/PIPEHUB-Sc...069207?hash=item3aebf90717:g:eHsAAOSwh6dbdiAb
Adam, I have seen his regular site and have watched as nothing of his sells year after year. That Klein pipe has been there for years as it is priced way to high. It is a 200.00 pipe with that lousy blast on it. Most of his prices are 3 to 4 times what the pipe is worth.

Adam Bybee

Sales
Adam, I have seen his regular site and have watched as nothing of his sells year after year. That Klein pipe has been there for years as it is priced way to high. It is a 200.00 pipe with that lousy blast on it. Most of his prices are 3 to 4 times what the pipe is worth.
Most of his prices are pretty similar or less than the smokingpipes.com equivalent for particular makers and styles. I agree though, he seems to care a lot more about curating a large collection than whether or not a particular pipe sells.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Most of his prices are pretty similar or less than the smokingpipes.com equivalent for particular makers and styles. I agree though, he seems to care a lot more about curating a large collection than whether or not a particular pipe sells.
SmokingPipes isn't particularly good at pricing their used inventory.

(Perhaps obviously, anything you see currently listed on the site is something that has failed to sell. Anything that isn't completely out of whack disappears the day it's listed.)

Danish

I may have been among the ‘crazy ebayers’. One thing is what a buyer will pay and another thing is what the seller will let it go for. To be patient with ‘buy know’ and ignore low balls has secured me that the prices for the 20-30 pipes I sold sofar, could compensate for the hurt of letting them go. And all my buyers have still been 100 pct satisfied. But I of course knew that I could not expect the same prices as the most reputable sellers would obtain for eg the few Dunhill and Blue Riband pipes I sold.

Last edited:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I may have been among the ‘crazy ebayers’. One thing is what a buyer will pay and another thing is what the seller will let it go for. To be patient with ‘buy know’ and ignore low balls has secured me that the prices for the 20-30 pipes I sold sofar, could compensate for the hurt of letting them go. And all my buyers have still been 100 pct satisfied. But I of course knew that I could not expect the same prices as the most reputable sellers would obtain for eg the few Dunhill and Blue Riband pipes I sold.
Patience is key.

If you want to sell a pipe in nine days, you're not going to get the same price as if you were willing to wait nine months.

Even with a perfect set of photos and a good reputation, the auction is a price discovery mechanism that finds a typical price among the prices things sold at across the last year or so. It's not going to get you the peak price, and it can't. It will just get you a pretty OK price.

Sitting on inventory indefinitely is the only way to get that magic, desired price. (And you still might not get it!)

JAK

Patience is key.

If you want to sell a pipe in nine days, you're not going to get the same price as if you were willing to wait nine months.

Even with a perfect set of photos and a good reputation, the auction is a price discovery mechanism that finds a typical price among the prices things sold at across the last year or so. It's not going to get you the peak price, and it can't. It will just get you a pretty OK price.

Sitting on inventory indefinitely is the only way to get that magic, desired price. (And you still might not get it!)
Very true statement. Patience also applies well as a buyer. I am always watching stuff and miss out on all sorts of stuff. I have to remind myself that there will be more and with patience comes some unexpected amazing deals.

Had a guy message me yesterday and ask if I could do free shipping for him. I was in a good mood as I knocked the price down a bit and gave him free shipping. I know not every person is crazy or scamming or trying to score something for nothing.