What's new

Custom Baki Meerschaums "The Red Series"

Siv

Mg4Si6O15(OH)2·6H2O
Sales
Nearly 10 years ago, I went through a period of rapid pipe acquisition. Being a sole meer smoker, once I discovered Baki's pipes, I had to have more and became impatient when Deniz Ural's website wasn't refreshing fast enough with new wares. So I chatted a while with Deniz and he was planning a trip to Turkey and being the gentleman he is, he agreed to talk to Baki about some custom pipes ideas I had. Other than the church wardens, I've not shared these publicly before but since it's been 10 years I guess it's about time. Now my wife's favourite colour is red so I asked Deniz to make sure that all these pipes had red trim so that they'd all be linked. I think a couple of them slipped away from me (one to Fred Bass) but I should have almost all the red trimmed pipes.

So first up, I wanted a straight poker/sitter. I have seen several but they either didn't sit or they were bent. This is the picture I sent Deniz:

Straight Poker (Small).jpg

And this is the pipe in the flesh:

poker1.jpg
poker2.jpg
poker3.jpg
pokertopsy.jpg

I love that it sits, even though it looks like it's on the verge of tipping over.

More to come!

Siv

Mg4Si6O15(OH)2·6H2O
Sales
Sorry for those of you who got their hopes up for a new Baki supply. I didn't think this would create a sad reaction! Well hopefully my pictures will at least provide some compensation.

I'm generally a fan of straight pipes yet it seems meerschaum carvers shy away from this style. My next design was for a lumberman, a straight flat-shanked pipe. This was my attempt at conveying what I was looking for:
Lumberman 3d (Small).jpg

Deniz told me that Baki would use my drawings as "inspiration" and not just duplicate them verbatim and I was happy with this approach as my drawing skills are not all that great. This is what Baki came up with based on this drawing. I think it looks much better than I imagined!

flatshankstand.jpg
flatshanktopsy.jpg
flatshank2.jpg
flatshank1.jpg

Attachments

MakDragon

Former PSF Wizard
Patron
Nearly 10 years ago, I went through a period of rapid pipe acquisition. Being a sole meer smoker, once I discovered Baki's pipes, I had to have more and became impatient when Deniz Ural's website wasn't refreshing fast enough with new wares. So I chatted a while with Deniz and he was planning a trip to Turkey and being the gentleman he is, he agreed to talk to Baki about some custom pipes ideas I had. Other than the church wardens, I've not shared these publicly before but since it's been 10 years I guess it's about time. Now my wife's favourite colour is red so I asked Deniz to make sure that all these pipes had red trim so that they'd all be linked. I think a couple of them slipped away from me (one to Fred Bass) but I should have almost all the red trimmed pipes.

So first up, I wanted a straight poker/sitter. I have seen several but they either didn't sit or they were bent. This is the picture I sent Deniz:

View attachment 22855

And this is the pipe in the flesh:

View attachment 22856
View attachment 22857
View attachment 22858
View attachment 22859

I love that it sits, even though it looks like it's on the verge of tipping over.

More to come!
That pipe is AWESOME!!!!

Siv

Mg4Si6O15(OH)2·6H2O
Sales
One thing I didn't mention is that I wanted some more "conventional" shaped pipes. At the time, a lot of Baki's production was a little artsy and while I do like these designs, I also wanted something a little more conservative - but still with flare. An idea I has was for a tomato shape but I didn't have a good way of drawing it. This is the silly drawing I sent:

Kuhan 2 - Copy.JPG

And here is the resulting pipe. I think Baki nailed it! I love the subtle cheeks expressed around the rim. It's organic yet simple and elegant.

domates.jpg
domates1.jpg
domateson.jpg
domatestop.jpg

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

One thing I didn't mention is that I wanted some more "conventional" shaped pipes. At the time, a lot of Baki's production was a little artsy and while I do like these designs, I also wanted something a little more conservative - but still with flare. An idea I has was for a tomato shape but I didn't have a good way of drawing it. This is the silly drawing I sent:

View attachment 23150

And here is the resulting pipe. I think Baki nailed it! I love the subtle cheeks expressed around the rim. It's organic yet simple and elegant.

View attachment 23151
View attachment 23152
View attachment 23153
View attachment 23154
This is the work of a master. Baki took a simple design and ran it into the sublime.

Siv

Mg4Si6O15(OH)2·6H2O
Sales
Next is a Lovat. Once again a crappy drawing however this time I said that I wanted the shank to be round.

Lovat.png

The outcome must have been derived from a fairly hefty piece of meerschaum. It feels very sturdy and is far too large to clench but it's exactly what I asked for! I love that the bowl shape is conventional and has a slight down angle to make it aesthetically pleasing.

lumbermanrd1.jpg
lumbermanrd2.jpg
lumbermanrdarka.jpg

Siv

Mg4Si6O15(OH)2·6H2O
Sales
Now here's one that came out exactly as I had drawn but that wasn't my intention. I wanted something a bit more futuristic so I sent this picture expecting there to be some artistic license but none was taken!

Speeder.png

What came out is an oddity. I've never seen anything like this and it's unique for sure. Despite the size, it would be a shorter smoke as the bowl is shallow. Perhaps it's a good example of why I'm not a pipe designer. I'd be interested to see what people's reactions are! Modern art?

spsitterA1.jpg
spsitterA2.jpg
spsitterA3.jpg
spsitterA4.jpg

spsitterA5.jpg

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Now here's one that came out exactly as I had drawn but that wasn't my intention. I wanted something a bit more futuristic so I sent this picture expecting there to be some artistic license but none was taken!

View attachment 23335

What came out is an oddity. I've never seen anything like this and it's unique for sure. Despite the size, it would be a shorter smoke as the bowl is shallow. Perhaps it's a good example of why I'm not a pipe designer. I'd be interested to see what people's reactions are! Modern art?

View attachment 23336
View attachment 23337
View attachment 23338
View attachment 23339

View attachment 23341
This is completely insane.

I don't know if I love it or hate it or what.

Peeps

View attachment 23335

View attachment 23336
View attachment 23337
View attachment 23338
View attachment 23339

View attachment 23341
S O a B!!

Siv

Mg4Si6O15(OH)2·6H2O
Sales
Finally some reactions! I thought that pipe would elicit a response. How about a slightly more conventional design? I saw a briar that was named the "pod". I forget who made it but it had a lovely organic quality to it and also some interesting detail around the bit. Once again, I did a crappy drawing:

Pod.JPG

What I was really after here is the sharp point and ridge on the inside end of the bowl, making it look like a seed pod or something. The result is something quite elegant I think.

Bpod1.jpg
Bpod2.jpg
Bpod3.jpg
Bpod4.jpg