Cutter-Top Heaven Community Reviews: The Main Event

Teddy Jeavons

Leaf and Leaf
Sales
The time has come!
To summarize: Resident vintage tobacco enthusiast and all-around good guy @MLC recently purchased a nice lot of vintage tobaccos off ebay https://pipesmokersden.com/threads/cutter-top-heaven.874/
He generously decided to share these tobaccos to create a Pipe Smokers Den community smoke, which I helped organize https://pipesmokersden.com/threads/cutter-top-heaven-community-tasting-volunteers-needed.1118/

All of the tobaccos have been mailed to our brave group of volunteers, who number nearly 30.

The tobaccos are as follows:
#1 1949 Cope's Escudo
#2 1950 Cope's Escudo
#3 Scots Cake
#4 Craven Empire Deluxe Curly Cut
#5 Carroll & Co Two Flakes
#6 Carroll Ye Olde Virginia Honeydew

Every volunteer will receive at least three tobaccos, one of which will be an Escudo or the Scots, which are all promising. A few folks will receive all six so that they can give thoughts across the whole group, but the rest were distributed mostly at random.

If everyone writes their thoughts on every tobacco, we'll approach 150 posts, so we should attempt to keep this thread fairly on topic and organized. Let's continue any off-topic banter in the volunteer request thread posted above. In order to keep things organized:

1. We will try to time our reviews to group the tobaccos.
-Post thoughts on #1 between now and Sunday afternoon June 10.
-Starting Sunday evening through Wednesday evening the 13th we will post thoughts on #2.
-From Thursday the 14th through Sunday afternoon the 17th we'll post thoughts on #3.
-From Sunday evening through Wednesday the 20th we'll post thoughts on #4
-From Thursday through Sunday afternoon the 24th we'll post thoughts on #5
-After that we'll post thoughts on #6

2. Please start your review posts with the name and number of the tobacco you're reviewing in bold.

You can write a formal review if you'd like or just brief general impressions. It's totally up to you and there is no pressure whatsoever. You are encouraged to post your thoughts before reading those of others, but again it's up to you. If you can't smoke your sample in the proper time window above, don't sweat it. Just post when you can, though try to avoid posting early. You can always write and publish later.
The goal is to keep things easily readable for posterity, not to get in the way of fun or free-flowing discussions.

MLC will be posting more information about these tobaccos in the thread as he sees fit.

Our group in no particular order: Me, MLC, @Spillproof , @jpberg , @WalkinStick , @dmkerr , @Shasta Piper , @Tallpuffoburley , @MikeInMaine , @MURPH , @Smokesum , @gnossos , @physiognomy , @lestrout , @joeahearn , @Chico , @Ozark Wizard , @Crustacean , @StompyMcFat , @Maddis , @Coastal Bend , @Brit abroad , @Thelonious monkfish , @Ol Brokedik , @Coda , @Adam Bybee , and @ChristTiger

I sincerely hope I didn't miss anyone who tried to volunteer. I have tracking info for everyone, but it's a lot to sift through. Let me know if you don't have your samples by Saturday.
(Several folks generously offered to help with my shipping costs. Thank you, but if you feel the need to repay, instead drop a few bucks into your local food bank's coffers and consider us even.)

As MLC wrote eloquently here and perhaps can repost, this thread is at least in part intended to "christen the good ship PSD." It is heartening to see PSD carry on and perhaps even be on track to surpass so much of the good cheer, generosity, and friendliness that abounded at PSF. One last time, thanks to all the folks who helped PSD get going. Here's to smooth sailing ahead.

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.

Last edited:

Teddy Jeavons

Leaf and Leaf
Sales
#1 1949 Escudo
I smoked this last night fully rubbed out in a 1930's Comoy's old Bruyere and was very disappointed. Thin, sour, crap. It's much much better today folded and stuffed in a 2010's L'Anatra. I'm glad I divided the coins.
Burns very well, it's still tart and slightly sour, definitely full of what I suspect MLC referred to as "Old funk" but today it has some depth and richness that I'm enjoying which was absent last night. I don't get any pepper or anything I'd readily identify as perique but all of the flavors are pretty far out of my frame of reference. There's something black tea-like I'm enjoying and the sour borders on sweet occasionally with an unusual note not far from cardamom. Maybe that's the perique? It's not real complex but I'm pleased to be genuinely enjoying this day's coin, the last of 2 from this tin I kept. No harshness, no bite.
I'm not amazed, but it's good and very different. I'm looking forward to seeing if the 1950 is different in any way. That tin seemed a little better preserved though I don't know jack squat about that sort of thing.
20180606_131738.jpg

joeahearn

#1 1949 Escudo
I smoked this last night fully rubbed out in a 1930's Comoy's old Bruyere and was very disappointed. Thin, sour, crap. It's much much better today folded and stuffed in a 2010's L'Anatra. I'm glad I divided the coins.
Burns very well, it's still tart and slightly sour, definitely full of what I suspect MLC referred to as "Old funk" but today it has some depth and richness that I'm enjoying which was absent last night. I don't get any pepper or anything I'd readily identify as perique but all of the flavors are pretty far out of my frame of reference. There's something black tea-like I'm enjoying and the sour borders on sweet occasionally with an unusual note not far from cardamom. Maybe that's the perique? It's not real complex but I'm pleased to be genuinely enjoying this day's coin, the last of 2 from this tin I kept. No harshness, no bite.
I'm not amazed, but it's good and very different. I'm looking forward to seeing if the 1950 is different in any way. That tin seemed a little better preserved though I don't know jack squat about that sort of thing.
View attachment 4479
Thanks for this report. I'll fold and stuff my coin of the 1950 vintage, in hopes of getting a better smoke.

MLC

Foggy Fogey.
Virgin or near-virgin (or at least "neutral") pipes usually work best because often this old stuff is really delicate and nuanced, which is why I much prefer the heavily-processed sorta oldstuff that's been thoroughly doused with casing and topdressings!
Easier to taste!

Hopefully the '50 may be a better specimen, but there definitely does come a certain point in the aging process where things start going downhill and degrading, and it usually varies according to blend composition, atmosphere inside the tin, storage conditions, or even particular batch of tobacco - the same brand from 2 different years might have variation in leaf quality or whatever enough so that each batch may age wildly different from one another --- it's all such a gamble and it's pretty amazing that people spend such the big bucks on this kind of old stuff when the percentages, in my opinion, are something less than 50/50 with the odds being against you that something has survived well.

MLC

Foggy Fogey.

Samples arrived in the mailbox moments ago, will be tasting the '49 Escudo later this evening.

@Teddy Jeavons is a trueblue goodguy and also included a fresh (2017) sample of Escudo --- I have never tried Escudo and I have no real reference besides knowing that it's a legendary VaPer. I don't smoke much stuff with perique because I'm over-sensitive to it or something, and get a faux bite that just obliterates my palate and I can't taste anything but 'bud buzz sting. I don't eat much spicy food either, for the very same reason.
I'm a wuss. :bag:

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales

Samples arrived in the mailbox moments ago, will be tasting the '49 Escudo later this evening.

@Teddy Jeavons is a trueblue goodguy and also included a fresh (2017) sample of Escudo --- I have never tried Escudo and I have no real reference besides knowing that it's a legendary VaPer. I don't smoke much stuff with perique because I'm over-sensitive to it or something, and get a faux bite that just obliterates my palate and I can't taste anything but 'bud buzz sting. I don't eat much spicy food either, for the very same reason.
I'm a wuss. :bag:
That photo looks a lot like the Cuyahoga River in the 70's. Reminds me of home, and makes me want to light some water on fire.

I really hope my dividends arrive today.
That Escudo is going straight into a BST.