Cutter-Top Heaven Community Reviews: The Main Event

Teddy Jeavons

Leaf and Leaf
Sales
#5 Carroll & Co Two Flakes

Smoked in a cob. This one has the lightest bag note of the uber-aged samples I’ve tried so far. Some light fruity molasses is about all I get.

Flavors are mostly earthy with a bit of sweetness. I’m wondering if there’s some kind of topping but have no idea what it could be – maybe just some sugar or molasses - but something that's enhancing the natural tobacco flavors. I also might be tasting some DFK – there’s a slight smoky nuttiness to it. I don’t think there’s any Perique - if there is, it has been tamed much more than in sample #3 Scot’s Cake.

Overall, it’s smooth, flavorful, and easy to smoke. Nicotine is no slouch, but less than the Scot’s for sure. Unlike the other two (especially Escudo ’49) there’s nothing about this one that makes me wonder if there’s something off about it. While I enjoyed the herbal/meaty/peppery novelty of the Scot’s Cake, this is one I could see myself smoking more of if it were available.

Curious what you know about it,@MLC, and also the condition of the tin in comparison to the others @Teddy Jeavons?
I didn't pop this one. I just opened the two Escudo and the Scots. MLC opened the other three.

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
I'm just finishing my first smoke of Sample #5 in a Virginia-dedicated BST bulldog. It started off pretty funky (musty and metallic twang) but has evolved into a pleasant if somewhat lackluster Virginia dominant something-or-other.

The casing is again molasses (*I think) and I would consider this the most accessible of the blends thus far. Not my favorite (1950 escudo) but better than the others, imo. No real spice. No dark brooding ouhouse-driving boof. Just a vaguely sweet and pleasant smoke. I like it but given the preponderance of similar current production blends I won't pine over it.

More after my second pipe later today (I'll just update this post rather than double-posting).

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
I don't have much to say about #5 Carroll's Two Flakes
I had a very similar experience to Spill. I thought it was musty at first, but it settled into a pleasant but unremarkable smoke. Better than the 1949 escudo. Nowhere near the 1950. Most similar to the Craven, but a bit sunnier.
Yeah I finished off my sample a couple days ago and was going to update my mini-review with some more adjectives but then I saw shiny thing.
It was a good smoke but I think I enjoyed the first pipe more than the second- probably Todd's fault somehow (both were BST's). Oh and it was profoundly better with some coffee (and cream). I will crack the final sample today.

Adam Bybee

Sales
Was planning on posting my review of the #5 Carroll & Co Two Flakes but I ended up leaving the file with my notes on it on my work computer.

Anyhow, here's the rambley, from-memory version.

Smoked this in both a Jared Coles Apple and a Linkman's Grabow Billiard.

Bag Note: very sweet, sharp, tangy honey and fruit with a little bit of a musky smell behind.

IMG_20180630_103601871_HDR.jpg

The first thing I'd like to mention which applies to most of these old blends is how much I like the cut of them. They tend to be in smaller, very pliable flakes that are cut extremely precisely which causes them to rub out into very fine, very consistent ribbons that light and burn effortlessly. I wish more modern companies would cut tobacco like this, it makes smoking easy. Love em' or hate em', some companies like C&D give the impression that they just go at the raw tobacco with a battle ax for a few minutes and just stuff it into a tin.

This blend initially tasted quite similar to the other virginia based blends in this series, which I take to be indicative of virginias from that time frame and age. Very smooth, dark fruit and some slightly acidic, almost metallic tang. That flavor was probably the most significant portion of the experience throughout. However, what this blend has that none of the others so far did was a distinct savory note that shows up mostly in the aftertaste. To me it tastes like toasted aromatic woods (cedar) with a slightly funky olive like flavor.

This might be entirely coincidence, but the last time I remember that flavor in the aftertaste of a tobacco it was when smoking a bowl of very old straight Syrian Latakia. That earthy, savory, woodsy flavor increased in power through the bowl. I'm guessing that there might be some old style orientals in here or maybe even a pinch of latakia that has aged itself almost into oblivion.

However, towards the end of the bowl that savory flavor started to get deeper and more nutty to the point where I could be convinced that what i'm tasting is, instead, very well aged Kentucky.

There was a good amount of nicotine in this, but not nearly as much as the Scot's Cake. Enough to force me to slow down a few times when smoking it.

This is yet another blend that I enjoyed quite a lot. As it turns out, I really enjoy super smooth, well aged tobaccos that are impossible to find. Horay?

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
#5 Carroll & Co Two Flakes struck me with the first note of sweet spices, cinnamon, clove, and ginger, backed by a dark sweetness that makes me think of dark brown sugar. A leaf strain determination was tough. I lean towards Virginia, as notes similar to FVF were touched on from halfway through the end. I thought for a moment there might be caramelized Kentucky present, but it may be my imagination. A fine blend, and yes, less punch for me than the scotch cake.... Time has been kind..

Craven Curly, been out the house working and need to catch up.

The bag smelled like original Edgeworth, initial taste was the same, then it settled in to a thinner version with sour Virginias thrown in. Molasses and a little nutty with acidity. I really liked it but now I'm eyeing the last jar of Edgeworth. Smoked in a Grabow Commodore(pictured with Scot's Cake) and Wally Frank Canadian Bent.

20180615_010932.jpg

20180630_233831.jpg

MLC

Foggy Fogey.

Curious what you know about it,@MLC, and also the condition of the tin in comparison to the others...
The tin was in good condition and had vacuum.

As to what I know about it --- very little.
All I can say is that many different companies had a version of "two flakes", with the Gallaher brand probably being the most famous,
a 1906 advert:

In another advert they wrote that it was a combination of "rich Orientals and Virginia".
I don't know if that was standard for this style of flake though, I had always assumed it was a bright/dark thing.

A really cool old tin from Hignett's:

MLC

Foggy Fogey.

If someone handed me a pipeful of this and asked me to guess what it was, I'd probably say vintage St. Bruno as it had much of the same characteristics.

Predominantly plummy pleasantness and it maintained flavor from top to bottom with not much alternation. I'd call it a solid medium and it also seemed to be in that middle spectrum with no real singing highs nor bassnote lows, just a very smooth unchanging midrange.

I liked it.
:puffy:

Chico

#5 Carroll & Co Two Flakes – second bowl

This time in a clay – that cob/clay combo was interesting with the last sample.

Yuck! Burning hair and petrochemicals! And the sharpness seems to be focused in a narrow beam down that thin stem, so that it’s downright tangy. I persisted a while in the name of science, but even past the halfway point it’s just nasty and wrong.

I’m really surprised at the difference, and would never guess it was the same blend. I don't have a lot of clay pipe experience, though, and I'm not sure I love 'em. If there was more left in the bowl I’d be tempted to try to salvage it and dump it into the cob!

And I agree with @Spillproof about the coffee pairing - it really helped the flavors along. Ice water doesn't.

Spillproof

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Sales
20180702_123551.jpg

Smoking the final sample now in a Regina Scarlatta billiard. I had just enough for one small bowl and so far so good. A bit more mild than most of the other offerings, but more similar than different. One nice change is the casing- not so much of the ancient treacle on this one, more like a modern Virginia (*though clearly not at all modern.). Virginia dominant, a bit lighter, pleasant and relatively one dimensional. I'm about 2/3rds through and it's getting darker and I'm picking up a bit more spice. More when I'm finished.

Smokesum

Carroll & Co., Two Flakes
I'm pretty late posting this, my final sample. I had a stomach bug during the recommended sampling period and wasn't smoking anything for about a week. This was a pretty small sample and only allowed for one small bowl. The baggie note was similar to the others; very mild dark fruit and molasses. This Two Flakes had quite a different flavor from my other samples. I did not get any Perique spice at all. What I did get was a sweet and tangy combination something like Sweetart candies. This is a flavor profile which I enjoy and associate with some orientals. I got this consistently from first light to the end. I can't say that I found much else going on.

As I said, this was my final sample in the series. I almost chose not to participate because I was intimidated about writing the reviews. I've been smoking a pipe for over 35 years, but never felt the need to share my tobacco opinions with others. I expected my written reviews to feel either pretentious or inadequate. I now admit that I am satisfied with my attempts. My words were wholly my own and ranged from horse farts to Sweetarts. I will never be one of the guys who verbalizes my opinion on every tobacco I try, but I know I can do it somewhat successfully if I choose.

I had a blast with this whole process and am thankful for the opportunity.

RedScot

Carroll & Co., Two Flakes
I'm pretty late posting this, my final sample. I had a stomach bug during the recommended sampling period and wasn't smoking anything for about a week. This was a pretty small sample and only allowed for one small bowl. The baggie note was similar to the others; very mild dark fruit and molasses. This Two Flakes had quite a different flavor from my other samples. I did not get any Perique spice at all. What I did get was a sweet and tangy combination something like Sweetart candies. This is a flavor profile which I enjoy and associate with some orientals. I got this consistently from first light to the end. I can't say that I found much else going on.

As I said, this was my final sample in the series. I almost chose not to participate because I was intimidated about writing the reviews. I've been smoking a pipe for over 35 years, but never felt the need to share my tobacco opinions with others. I expected my written reviews to feel either pretentious or inadequate. I now admit that I am satisfied with my attempts. My words were wholly my own and ranged from horse farts to Sweetarts. I will never be one of the guys who verbalizes my opinion on every tobacco I try, but I know I can do it somewhat successfully if I choose.

I had a blast with this whole process and am thankful for the opportunity.
Well done. Easy to read and understand, which is the essence of any literary undertaking.