Dang it!

N80

The crack goes through into the chamber but I think I can still make a shop pipe for myself and get some practice at making an author.

IMG_1784.jpg

It is no big deal and it is my understanding that this is just part of the 'magic' of pipe making. Two in a row, well, just bad luck. But don't worry about it. I'm now psyched to learn how to make an author so I've got authors on the brain now and having fun.....which is why I do this. And now its a challenge. Can't say when I'll be able to get a decent one to you but I'm going to keep trying until I at least get one on par with the quality of some of my better pipes..........for whatever that's worth.

On this topic I am wondering if there is a way to "patch" a crack like this. I'm not so much thinking about cosmetics, just something to keep it from getting worse. It does enter the chamber but very high up and I would just "patch" from the outside.

sfduke

Sales
On this topic I am wondering if there is a way to "patch" a crack like this. I'm not so much thinking about cosmetics, just something to keep it from getting worse. It does enter the chamber but very high up and I would just "patch" from the outside.
Will defer to the other carvers on what to patch with. That bowl area is the hottest part of an author given the forward cant of the shape. Not sure if a patch and bowl coating would be sufficient.

RDPipes

Mental Illness is a Terrible thing to Waste!
Sales
The crack goes through into the chamber but I think I can still make a shop pipe for myself and get some practice at making an author.

View attachment 71438

It is no big deal and it is my understanding that this is just part of the 'magic' of pipe making. Two in a row, well, just bad luck. But don't worry about it. I'm now psyched to learn how to make an author so I've got authors on the brain now and having fun.....which is why I do this. And now its a challenge. Can't say when I'll be able to get a decent one to you but I'm going to keep trying until I at least get one on par with the quality of some of my better pipes..........for whatever that's worth.

You can try a bowl coating, Water-glass mixture would be your best bet because it does the best job of protecting the chamber from burn but, no guarantee that it won't get hot enough to crack further. But, as you stated, it'll be a shop pipe anyway, no harm no foul.

RDPipes

Sales
Got a couple of big new briar chunks to do this author. Get a load of this:

View attachment 71432
If you're getting your blocks from who I think you are, next time when you see a crack like that send it back. As a purchaser we shouldn't have to eat the sellers
bad stock. Steve should take it back as from a conversation we had on the same subject awhile back.

N80

This block came from Steve. The previous from Premal. Neither of these were graded blocks and neither showed any sign of the cracks from the outside so I probably won't attempt to send them back. If I got a block that had a big crack visible on the outside I probably would send it back for an exchange especially if it were a higher grade block.

I'm wondering what the best overall strategy is for a low volume beginner when it comes to briar. I could buy high grade blocks and maybe expect fewer nasty surprises but I couldn't buy as many. Or I can keep on with average blocks and deal with the setbacks which, in my case, really only upset me if it is found late in the game. I'm generally more concerned with wasted work time than the cost of a block or two. Average grade blocks have been the mixed bag one would expect in terms of flaws but I have gotten a few that have been fantastic in every way.

I've got water-glass and charcoal so I might do a bowl coating on this one. I usually leave mine natural but I have used George Dibos' method and it works pretty well.

RDPipes

Sales
This block came from Steve. The previous from Premal. Neither of these were graded blocks and neither showed any sign of the cracks from the outside so I probably won't attempt to send them back. If I got a block that had a big crack visible on the outside I probably would send it back for an exchange especially if it were a higher grade block.

I'm wondering what the best overall strategy is for a low volume beginner when it comes to briar. I could buy high grade blocks and maybe expect fewer nasty surprises but I couldn't buy as many. Or I can keep on with average blocks and deal with the setbacks which, in my case, really only upset me if it is found late in the game. I'm generally more concerned with wasted work time than the cost of a block or two. Average grade blocks have been the mixed bag one would expect in terms of flaws but I have gotten a few that have been fantastic in every way.

I've got water-glass and charcoal so I might do a bowl coating on this one. I usually leave mine natural but I have used George Dibos' method and it works pretty well.
Yeah, once you drill'em ya can't return'em.

N80

I think you could mix epoxy and saw dust and patch an outside crack but you wouldn't want epoxy in the bowl. I've got several low end production pipes that have this sort of patchwork. I don't think the stain would take in an epoxyed crack.

snake

permanent ankle biter
Sales
Patron
I think you could mix epoxy and saw dust and patch an outside crack but you wouldn't want epoxy in the bowl. I've got several low end production pipes that have this sort of patchwork. I don't think the stain would take in an epoxyed crack.
What about a resin pour on the outside?
I see Eldrich pipes doing funky things with
resin and briar. Just curious.