What's new

Dating Jars

JerseyPiper

I picked up a tin of Escudo today that I think is from 2013 based on the barcode. Im about to jar it up, but am wondering if I should put todays date on my label or the manufacture date of the tin on there. The 10 digit bar code is 1313090018, which according to google puts it as made on September 13, 2013.

What do you folks do with label dates when you think u know the tin age?

I wont smoke it up fast enough to keep it in the tin. My cellr is wide and shallow, always reaching for a different blend.
Okay, you do plan to enjoy it before jarring and that's why you want it jarred. Some of the cellar activities confuse me and I just assumed you wanted a several year old sealed tin to now be in jar for some reason. I've seen people buy tubs of Carter Hall and such then proceed to jar them....

JerseyPiper

Okay, you do plan to enjoy it before jarring and that's why you want it jarred. Some of the cellar activities confuse me and I just assumed you wanted a several year old sealed tin to now be in jar for some reason. I've seen people buy tubs of Carter Hall and such then proceed to jar them....
Yessir, smoking a bowl right now. Pretty darned good too. :sailor:

I've read about people jarring certain types of tins right away to avoid having the tin fail on them. The square ones are apparently known for seal failures. I've heard that some can even rust from the inside from just the moisture in the tobacco itself. I haven't really bought a bunch of the same kind of tinned tobacco yet, so I haven't had to make a decision on jarring or keeping in the tin. I always take a sample smoke out as soon as I buy some, then jar it for later.