dedicating pipes

horse

lonesome on'ry and mean
Building cake, dedicating pipes, cellaring tobacco, chasing unobtanium, all of these are just waiting for you. Don't be a codger with one pipe and one blend, embrace your inner desires to become addicted to pipes and pipe tobacco. Become a slave to PAD and TAD and join most of us.
This brings up another question. Once i have built a little bit of a pipe collection is it best to dedicate pipes to particular tobacco? Like one for burley, another for cavendish and so on?

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight
This brings up another question. Once i have built a little bit of a pipe collection is it best to dedicate pipes to particular tobacco? Like one for burley, another for cavendish and so on?
You can do this if you like. I used to do this faithfully, but kind of stuff what ever in my pipes.
One can dedicate pipes, and many like to keep certain pipes for Latakia blends, or Lakelands, and stronger blends as they tend to leave the flavors behind--we call this a "ghost"
By mixing tobaccos in the same pipe that ghost can ruin flavors, or add to the flavor of the next type of tobacco you put in the pipe. Some are ok with this, but many are not. I don't mind just a hnt of flavor going on from the last bowl, but if I want a mild aromatic, and have a little Latakia flavor going on in the background I don't always like that.
There is nothing wrong with dedicating specific blends to specific pipes to keep the flavors nice, and pronounced as you smoke them. Also you will find that for reasons not known to mortal men that certain pipes for some reason just do well with certain blends--when you find a specific pipe that seems to please you with a specific blend--this is when you have found that tiny piece of magic in that pipe.

cigrmaster

Horse, I dedicate all of my pipes as that is what works for me. Most are genre specific like Virginia, Virginia/Perique, Virginia/Burley/Kentucky, aromatic. I also dedicate certsain pipes to specific blends. If I run across a really great combo, I stick with it. I don't smoke any English blends but if I did I would definitely dedicate them as they can ghost a pipe big time.

kxg

Patron
As I've accumulated more (and more) pipes, I've tried to learn through experimentation what tobacco seems to smoke best in which pipe. There is always plenty of advice to follow, or not, and some seems on target. So, I've come to the point I'm sort of dedicating some different pipes and bowl shapes to various tobacco families; lots more experimenting to do. And there are certain pipes that have only smoked particular families or genre's; my Radice POY is only smoking Va's, VaPer's, & VaBur's, at least for now. I have not gone so far as to one tobacco in only one pipe; but who knows?

dmkerr

Fabulously non-descript
Staff member
I dedicate pipes for:

1) Lakelands
2) Latakia blends
3) Red Rapparee
4) Goopers (one lonely pipe)

Virginias, VaPers, burleys, VA/Ors, etc go in the same pipes. I don't want a Lakeland, goop or latakia ghost to taint the other blends, and Red Rap needs 2 pipes on its own. Too much lat for the regular pipes, too little for the latakia pipes.

But I hasten to add that this is my rule only. Whatever works for you, works.

millarddj

Perpetual whippersnapper
Patron
Concisely, I'm on the same page with dmkerr. I will summarize my slightly different take that works for me, because I find everyone's opinion on this subject interesting.

1. I have a couple of dedicated Lat pipes
    1. I only smoke big "lat bombs" in cobs at present. I don't enjoy many, and I am concerned about lat ghosting affecting lighter Englishes
  2. Aromatics get subdivided
    1. Predominantly black cavendish "Gooper" blends only go in a couple of specific pipes
    2. More lightly topped aromatics (I'm thinking of C&D Autumn Evening, which is one of my favorites) go into separate pipes
  3. Most of my other pipes are general use.
    1. I am predominantly a VA/VAPer smoker, but I also smoke other non-flavored (orientals, burleys) out of them at present.
    2. This, however, is because I don't smoke really burley/oriental-heavy blends. Otherwise I'd probably segregate further
  4. I keep a bunch of cobs around "just in case"

Stinger4me

Been a pipe smoker for 50 years, not a heavy smoker but a pipe smoker. I have a MM diplomat dedicated to Luxury Twist Flake and THAT blend tastes the best in THAT pipe. Maybe it is all in my head but the blend tastes great from that pipe. Some of my Peterson pipes are dedicated to certain English blends it works for me and those blends in those pipes. With that I will add this, we are all different. One smokers favorite blend is another smokers compost pile additive. Enjoy your time here and ask your questions that is how we learn.

blackmouth210

Patron
The closest I got to dedicating blends to pipes was this:
Pipes in my collection were used either exclusively for aromatics or exclusively for non-aros.
Aros and non-aros as defined by me.

I did this for many years and was happy with the results.

But here lately, maybe in the last year or so, I have just started to choose the blend I feel like smoking and the pipe I feel like smoking....categories be damned.

I'm happier now. Less fuss.

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight
For the most part, the closest I get to dedicating a pipe is when I have one that smokes something so well that I tend to reach for them together. I don't mind reminders of former bowls, so some mild ghosting is not a problem.
I used to be absolutely crazy about dedicating pipes. I was once there, and for quite a long time. Then I got lazy--yep-I decided to just let go of all of the dedication thing, and smoke what I like in my pipes. What I found is that I don't mind a little hint of the bowl before. However I do not smoke any tobaccos that are heavy in Latakias, and the Lakeland sauce. All of my favored tobaccos are mild Latakias, and Virginias to include Burleys mixed in with mild aromatics--nothing heavy in any tobaccos I smoke so the ghost isn't really too bad. However if I were to be a person who smokes heavy aromatics, heavy Latakias, or heavy Lakelands I would dedicate pipes--Cobs are good for this if you don't want to take a high grade artisan pipe, and dedicate it.

Slow Tri

Is it Friday yet?
I dedicate pipes for:

1) Lakelands
2) Latakia blends
3) Red Rapparee
4) Goopers (one lonely pipe)

Virginias, VaPers, burleys, VA/Ors, etc go in the same pipes. I don't want a Lakeland, goop or latakia ghost to taint the other blends, and Red Rap needs 2 pipes on its own. Too much lat for the regular pipes, too little for the latakia pipes.

But I hasten to add that this is my rule only. Whatever works for you, works.
I'm with Dan on numbers 1 and 2. I have one or two pipes each for both Lakelands and Latakia blends. My goopers get smoked in my cobs.

All of my other pipes are all Virginia or Virginia variants.

tipofthelake

CAUTION: think twice before taking seriously
Patron
I don't dedicate any pipes to specific blends or blend types, other than a sav lumberman I have only smoked Ennerdale in, though I smoke ennerdale in other pipes as well. I notice the ghost for the first few smokes after and then it's gone. I honestly notice the lat ghost more, but as I enjoy both I don't worry about it. I think you really have to try it and see if it's something that bothers you enough to dedicate pipes or, like me, it would bother you not to smoke whatever pipe is currently making your eye sparkle with whatever tobacco sounds good.