What's new

Demise of Dunhill

Bees

There is another popular tobacco going out of business. As of December 31 all Esoterica blends have been purchased by .... well.... By Walmart ... to be sold in the garden department as fertilizer for little bitty pretty flowers of various colors .
Oh dear wouldn’t happen over here even the name Walmart ain’t the same it’s called ASDA here. Anyway thank you for the heads up. I have never been able to purchase the stuff in the first place... now I would be most grateful if someone can remind me where it is made :mystery:

craig

Oh dear wouldn’t happen over here even the name Walmart ain’t the same it’s called ASDA here. Anyway thank you for the heads up. I have never been able to purchase the stuff in the first place... now I would be most grateful if someone can remind me where it is made :mystery:
I think it's a small littlw known outfit somewhere in the channel islands...

Sir Saartan

The Tan Saarlander
Bees has an excellent sense of humor and none of these posts were attacks. The Moderator "piling on" was a joke going back to the PSF days when rumors of McClelland closing resulted in roughly 263 threads being spawned in the course of a week.

If Bees had taken offense, and he didn't, he would have let us know. If you have a grievance it is best to PM a Staff Member, not just quit and leave a stink bomb.
Absolutely.

I had an issue once due to my not so perfect English. I can assure you these mods are the kindest people and none of them have any bad intention when posting or moderating here.

Relax.

sablebrush52

Patron
Actually, BAT made the announcement in January 2017. It was subsequently confirmed shortly after the announcement by Leonard Wortzel for Lane, Dunhill tobacco's US distributor. At that time, they estimated that the blends would continue to be available for 12 to 18 months. It was a simple decision by BAT to pull the plug on a line of products that they felt were no longer huge sellers.
STG did make an offer to BAT that was turned down, but the rumor mill has recently been stating that some kind of deal has been made to allow STG to continue to manufacture the blends under a different label. It doesn't make a difference for the US market since these blends would have to undergo the mysterious FDA Deeming Process to stay available. Even if the Dunhill blends had continued to be made under the Dunhill name, they would have had to undergo the mysterious Deeming Process to stay on the market after August 8th 2021, since Dunhill had pulled them from the US market about 8-9 years ago. They would not have qualified to be "grandfathered".