desk pipes?

Second mouse

Hey, Dunhill made em. Over the years I've acquired most production shapes (except pickaxe, cavalier and hawkbill, ew) but never have I ever seen a desk pipe for sale.

Silly affectation? I wouldn't deny that. Lazy person's pipe? Maybe, but when I'm working with my hands and short clenchers irritate my eyes, I'd sure like to try one. I'm also prone to dozing off when relaxed so safety is a consideration as well.
They really ought to be the cheapest pipes sold. If I could find an acceptable (cleanable) hose and bit, I'd cobble one from a diy block.
Anybody here ever smoke one?

Attachments

Terminus

Drink Water, Walk It Off
Patron
I like those too! What do you think the hose would be made of. My first thought is copper flex, but it would be really rigid. Not sure about PVC or surgical, sounds hard to clean and might leave a funny taste?

Coastal Bend

Get off my lawn.
Patron
Hey, Dunhill made em. Over the years I've acquired most production shapes (except pickaxe, cavalier and hawkbill, ew) but never have I ever seen a desk pipe for sale.

Silly affectation? I wouldn't deny that. Lazy person's pipe? Maybe, but when I'm working with my hands and short clenchers irritate my eyes, I'd sure like to try one. I'm also prone to dozing off when relaxed so safety is a consideration as well.
They really ought to be the cheapest pipes sold. If I could find an acceptable (cleanable) hose and bit, I'd cobble one from a diy block.
Anybody here ever smoke one?
I remember seeing pipes like that in pipe shops, seems like in the '70s. Think others made them in addition to Dunhill. It's another unique or quirky pipe I kind of wanted back then, but never got.

Russ H.

Patron-Fight The Good Fight
They are unique, and Dunhill had quite a few unique marketing concepts through their production of pipes.
It's what this all fun. I do not own any desk pipes, but the thought of collecting these older ones is pretty cool. They are part of piping history.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dunhill re-released the "dashboard" pipe, which is the same design but with a metal bracket for mounting, in the early 1990s.

I've seen two of the re-issues turn up on eBay in the last year but both had silly asking prices attached. I'm not gonna pay $2k+ for a block of briar with a hose. The "white dot" just doesn't add that much.

(Maybe the original one, sold in the "motorities" shop, would be worth that, if it had the manual and such.)

JustScott

I've always thought a desk pipe would be cool. I've had thoughts of getting a block and figuring out how to add a hose (probably just drill or carve out the mortise into something I could connect to a hookah hose.) I would want a largish bowl, but probably not that much bigger than what I generally smoke, something like 15/16ish x 1.75ish. Like just under an inch by just under 2 inches. And then figure out what I can smoke in it without giving myself the nic-spins...