Detoxing for insurance

Well, got laid off on Monday, so I've begun my nicotine detox in anticipation of dealing with a new health insurance company when I lose my current one (roughly 5 months from now if I don't get a new gig sooner).

I have been pleasantly surprised to have no withdrawal of any kind, confirming my belief that cigars/pipes/snuff are way less addictive than cigs....

That said, I'll hang out much less -- temptations and all. See you in the summer!

SmokeRings

Patron
I never really feel the effects of withdrawal from pipes or cigars the way I did when I was on the coffin nails, I might smoke multiple pipes a day for a week, then simply not feel like it for a few days, and it never even occurs to me that I might be undergoing a withdrawal, I get to be in charge of my nicotine consumption, rather than it being in charge of me, and that is a much more satisfactory arrangement to my thinking

Timj219

I was tested once 15 years ago when my employer switched insurancence carrier. I did not realize I'd be tested and had smoked a couple cigars the previous weekend. The test I think was on a Thursday and they didn't dispute my nonsmoker claim so I guess the test didn't pick up anything.
I am a mostly weekends only pipe/cigar smoker so somebody who pipes d a ily might have a different experience.

PKT

Well, got laid off on Monday, so I've begun my nicotine detox in anticipation of dealing with a new health insurance company when I lose my current one (roughly 5 months from now if I don't get a new gig sooner).

I have been pleasantly surprised to have no withdrawal of any kind, confirming my belief that cigars/pipes/snuff are way less addictive than cigs....

That said, I'll hang out much less -- temptations and all. See you in the summer!
Good luck. Look forward to hearing from you

TidalWave

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone! I've got a pretty good network built up of contacts at other companies, I'm talking to several now. I'm *so* close to being able to retire...

Regarding the testing, I've only had one company that actually did a test, but every time I've switched one of the questions is "Do you use tobacco products?" Since they are unable to differentiate a cigar or pipe from cigarettes, I want to be able to check that box without lying. If I say I don't, and then it turns out they *do* test, and I came back positive, that could result in complete denial of coverage, not just raised rates.