• Please read the rules before posting or replying here -- no banter, no off-topic replies please. Link to the rules: Old Codger Rules.

Did i just ghost a pipe?

Sparks

So I’ve recently been enjoying G&H blends i received in a sampler from a fellow PSD member. I had never gotten that “Lakeland” flavor before, except today i packed up a bowl of rum flake.

At first i wasn’t getting any Lakeland per usual, until BAM. Out of no where it started building and building more. Flowery/perfume taste. It wasn’t off putting to me, i quite enjoyed it.

But after i got done with the bowl it hit me, i just smoked a Lakeland through a pipe i didn’t really want to “dedicate” to them. So now I’m asking, did i just ghost my pipe beyond recognition or is one bowl not going to cause too much harm?

Mikewood

If you are worried might give it the old salt and alcohol treatment and mark that bag with a big red star. Personally I don’t have many pipes. A couple fine briar pipes for English blends and a few cobs. A couple of the cobs are put aside for samples i am not sure of or ones I know will go off the rails so to speak. $5.00 is cheap insurance. Not that I would pitch any pipe but not having to worry about ghosting a pipe or getting it back in “form” puts my mind ease.

Sparks

If you are worried might give it the old salt and alcohol treatment and mark that bag with a big red star. Personally I don’t have many pipes. A couple fine briar pipes for English blends and a few cobs. A couple of the cobs are put aside for samples i am not sure of or ones I know will go off the rails so to speak. $5.00 is cheap insurance. Not that I would pitch any pipe but not having to worry about ghosting a pipe or getting it back in “form” puts my mind ease.
I had only ever smoked it from a cob before and since i never really got Lakeland from it i just figured why not pack the briar.

I’m starting to piece together in my mind that the bowl itself is why it tasted vastly different, the bowl size of my briar compared to a corncob is pretty big.

I’m just going to let the pipe rest for a while and come back to it. I imagine it’s fine from just one bowl and luckily caught myself before i packed it again and again.

Chasing Embers

But then wouldn’t that mean you got rid of Lakeland ghost but now it’s ghosted from heavy Latakia? I’m trying to keep this pipe as a mainly Virginia pipe, so I’m not really trying to have any side flavors going on lol
Not after one smoke. Ghosting isn't permanent by any means, and can really be smoked out by multiple bowls of any genre you choose. In thirty years I've never seen a case of permanent ghosting, even with estate pipes I've bought.

tech49

I like ghosting pipes. A smoke of Grasemere Flake, which I love, can be followed by several bowls of Carter Hall and I get a delicious, nuanced Lakeland-Carter Hall fading over the next several relaxing evenings on the deck.

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
I like ghosting pipes. A smoke of Grasemere Flake, which I love, can be followed by several bowls of Carter Hall and I get a delicious, nuanced Lakeland-Carter Hall fading over the next several relaxing evenings on the deck.

A few of my most enjoyable blends ever came from smoking some tobacco in a pipe ghosted by a different blend.
Sometimes the ghost just works with newly loaded tobacco.

Just keep smoking the pipe @Sparks.
The ghost will fade.
In the meantime, try to smoke blends in there that may be complimented by the ghost flavors.
It's a low-risk opportunity for some tobacco fun.

Mikewood

@Pedro,
There can be to a great degree. It depends on how sensitive your pallet is, how strong the flavoring it is and what you are going to. I think it’s better to scrub the pipe clean and start fresh. But smoking till it changes works too. Let’s say you have a nice moderate pipe that you have smoked matured Virginia in. For a week you smoke some over the top crazy cherry stuff and go back to MV. You are going to be tasting that cherry for a while afterwards. But say you smoke a heavy Lat. well, that smoke flavor is going to blow away the cherry in a few bowls but now the pipe is smoky and you are dealing with that. So you switch to English style which has a little lat and that helps taper it out vs MV which won’t be horrible but won’t give you as moderate flavor as you might expect.

Having a game plan or exit strategy is nice but so is a dedicated pipe for alternative styles like lat bombs, English, Balkan or heavy aromatics. Then again the journey can be fun.

Pedro

@Pedro,
There can be to a great degree. It depends on how sensitive your pallet is, how strong the flavoring it is and what you are going to. I think it’s better to scrub the pipe clean and start fresh. But smoking till it changes works too. Let’s say you have a nice moderate pipe that you have smoked matured Virginia in. For a week you smoke some over the top crazy cherry stuff and go back to MV. You are going to be tasting that cherry for a while afterwards. But say you smoke a heavy Lat. well, that smoke flavor is going to blow away the cherry in a few bowls but now the pipe is smoky and you are dealing with that. So you switch to English style which has a little lat and that helps taper it out vs MV which won’t be horrible but won’t give you as moderate flavor as you might expect.

Having a game plan or exit strategy is nice but so is a dedicated pipe for alternative styles like lat bombs, English, Balkan or heavy aromatics. Then again the journey can be fun.

Hi, thanks for your response! You are right that I needed to specify more information. In that pipe I feel a bit of lakeland, and I had planned to dedicate it to burley-based blends (like the original amphora which is one of my regular cigars) ...
I don't really know if I'm very sensitive to ghosting, but as for lakeland I can easily see it. Anyway I really like lakelands ... but when I'm smoking one of them and not another type of tobacco LOL ...(Maybe I'll have to dedicate that pipe to lakeland and the problem is over 🤣) ...
Another option is to smoke a lot of HH Old dark fired ... I think that would probably cancel the ghosting to lakeland ... replacing it with a dark fired one that I think would bother me less ...