• Please read the rules before posting or replying here -- no banter, no off-topic replies please. Link to the rules: Old Codger Rules.

Did i just ghost a pipe?

Chico

I agree with @Chasing Embers that ghosting fears are overrated. It's one those things that pipe smokers sometimes over-think, like packing techniques. I do have dedicated pipes, but also switch things around sometimes.

I think regular Black Cav aros and Latakia blends ghost worse than Lakelands, and can be hard to eradicate from estate pipes.

Ozark Wizard

Old Ted Award Winner
The only stubborn ghosts I've encountered have been

Rattray Exotic Orange, Bagpipers Dream
Dan Tobacco Devil's Holiday
GH and Co Ennerdale, Dark Flake scented, a couple of others I don't recall off hand
Condor

Most of the Latakia blends I smoked wouldn't really ghost a pipe bad enough that a couple of smokes wouldn't clear out. But those aromatics each have a dedicated pipe.

Deus Ex Fumus

As long as it doesn’t bother you, it should be fine. But if you find you have a lingering taste you want to remove, a good cleaning usually takes care of the bulk of it.

In some estates I’ve purchased, even “restored” ones, they can overlook reaming the shank. So the ghost may be lurking there if you ream/clean the bowl and still taste the dearly departed.

Russ H.

Mr. Fruity Pebbles
I usually smoke something I like well enough but don't mind sharing flavours until the ghost fades.
This is what I do. I used to be real picky about dedication of certain blends to certain pipes. I’ve learned throughout the years that most ghosts are gone after a few bowls of other blends and I’ve gound that as was said-not all ghosts are bad.
I find any burley blend works well if you really want that background ghost gone quicker.

Pedro

. I find any burley blend works well if you really want that background ghost gone quicker.

Perfect, thanks!

I agree with @Chasing Embers that ghosting fears are overrated. It's one those things that pipe smokers sometimes over-think, like packing techniques. I do have dedicated pipes, but also switch things around sometimes.

I think regular Black Cav aros and Latakia blends ghost worse than Lakelands, and can be hard to eradicate from estate pipes.

I agree with you on the black cavendish ... Both the captain black original or the Mac baren vanilla toffee are tobaccos that leave their mark immediately!

RedScot

If there's a decent cake, ream it. Use bristle cleaners and denatured alcohol to clean the shank.
I've had a couple of eBay pipes that had a surreal floral ghost, one that wasn't immediately identifiable as lakeland - different pipes from different sellers bit that same floral ghost. And both pipes looked as if they'd been smoked heavily, then set aside for years - the cake was bone dry.
I reamed back to bare briar (something I don't do often) and cleaned both bowl and draught hole with alcohol, but the ghost persisted. I even went so far as to run hot water through 'em but the ghost remained.
Finally I put them to work. The first several bowls were tolerable, but not the best; even after half a dozen bowls one of the pipes still gave off the occasional floral belch. Ultimately, though, the ghosts departed and now both pipes are just fine.
I chalked it up to ancient briar. I'm not sure what could've left such an unappealing linger, but it smoked out in the end.
A ghost left from a single bowl of highly aromatic tobacco - be it a highly scented lakeland or a highly gooped CB, is something that should sort itself out quickly.
I keep three categories of pipes - virginias/VaPers, aromatics, and latakia blends. I don't worry a lot about dedicating particular pipes to particular blends beyond that. Stoved virginia will leave a trace in a VaPer pipe, as will the top note of PS LNF.

Chico

Easiest way to deal with persistent ghosts in estates is to dedicate it to the same blend type. If you can't beat 'em join 'em.

Excellent point about the shank. I've had estates where I worked and worked on the bowl before realizing the shank still had a thin coat of Latakia tar.

ClintonvilleLeather

Sales
Some Lakeland blends are very floral scented but rum flake is not. Many have varieties of leaf with slight floral flavor naturally which will burn right out. I find that some dark fired can taste slightly floral in a vegetal way. If you are not used to that and are told Lakelands are grannies panties and bottles of soap then that is what you taste. I think it is subliminal, I have seen people swear Full Virginia Flake was soapy. It isn't at all. The Rum Flake "ghost" should burn right out.

Shoebox1.1

I recently bought some tabac manil semois la burmeuse. I love it. One of my favorite tobaccos. Only problem it’s ghosted very pipe I have and has really hurt my ODF and bold Kentucky lunchtime smokes! I’m dedicating 7 cobs to Salt and alcohol treatment tonight and no more semois in them.

blackmouth210

Friendly Misanthrope
Patron
Mongo you got me worried lol. I dumped the project. The salt did turn brown. (2 hrs) paper towel and a cleaner stuffed in now. Hopefully the semois ghost is gone

Even if the semois ghost remains, just smoke it out with whatever you will smoke in the cob(s) from now on.
As mentioned in an earlier post, any blend will exercise a ghost if you put enough bowls through it.

Chico

Also, persistent ghosts are mostly from aromatics and Latakia blends. Semois is completely unadorned tobacco. Any lingering flavor from it will flash off in the next smoke. The cob will take care of itself.

I think ghosting is one of those things that new smokers especially get way too concerned about.

JustScott

Also, persistent ghosts are mostly from aromatics and Latakia blends. Semois is completely unadorned tobacco. Any lingering flavor from it will flash off in the next smoke. The cob will take care of itself.

I think ghosting is one of those things that new smokers especially get way too concerned about.
This...
I was wondering how you could ghost a pipe with semois. Can you really taste a ghost of semois over ODF or Bold Kentucky???

BlueMaxx

"Foo Was Here"
Sales
Patron
The only stubborn ghosts I've encountered have been

Rattray Exotic Orange, Bagpipers Dream
Dan Tobacco Devil's Holiday
GH and Co Ennerdale, Dark Flake scented, a couple of others I don't recall off hand
Condor

Most of the Latakia blends I smoked wouldn't really ghost a pipe bad enough that a couple of smokes wouldn't clear out. But those aromatics each have a dedicated pipe.

Can confirm....Rattray's got one of mine....nothing a little Everclear and salt was not able to fix...sweetened it up quite nicely.

That is ok, I got to learn how to perform a pipe exorcism, always good to have a new skill.....

Codgerindecline

I started smoking a pipe in 1979, and after a few years I was as connected as it was possible to get in those days, and continued on through the advent of CompuServe Interest Groups, then Alt.smokers.pipes Usenet group, reading the Ephemeri, going to shows, spending hours on the phone with other smoker/collectors, etc. as I have stated elsewhere, for completely idiotic reasons I quit smoking a pipe in late 2001

I returned to pipe smoking in 2016 and joined a forum. Within a week, I read more about ghosting than I had in 20+ years combined.

I also quickly learned that Latakia mixtures aren’t any good and that flakes are better than ready rubbed, but plugs are best of all, and the ideal smoke is Carter Hall in a cob. Not that there is one damn thing wrong with Carter Hall in a cob.

But the idea of dedicating pipes does serve a function. It seems that no one wants to admit that you can acquire multitudes of pipes just because you like pipes, so the idea that you have to dedicate at least one pipe to any particular style of tobacco is a socially acceptable excuse to buy more pipes. Which is a good result however bogus the reasoning.

Oh, back in the day, there was a consensus that a steady diet of Made in Northern Ireland by Murray’s Erinmore would ghost a pipe beyond any hope of redemption. Today’s Erinmore is only faintly like what it once was and shouldn’t be a problem. At least not one beyond hope of salvation.